Join for free
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 01:35 AM

Christmas 1956

CHRISTMAS 1956

They were cold in those days fifty years ago, the houses I mean. No central heating and the ice formed on the inside of the windows as well as on the outside, not to mention the freezing fog. There were few people who had inside loos, so everyone had a “guzunder” under the bed which would slide easily in and out on the lino.

Taking a trip to the loo in winter then could prove very hazardous when trotting down the yard in the snow. The newspaper on the nail behind the door would get damp with the cold and you’d end up trotting back with yesterday’s headlines tattooed on your backside.

That Christmas of 1956 I’d just turned seven years old. My little brother and I shared a double bed with loads of blankets and an old-fashioned eiderdown which kept us snug and warm.

Very early that Christmas morning I woke up. It was still dark outside so even only being a little girl I knew that it was early. I dug my brother David in the ribs and as he woke up he was about to start squawking so I put my hand over his mouth and I said, “It’s Christmas Day.” His big blue eyes bulged with excitement and we both sat up in bed, only to find a large present each at our feet. David dived on his and ripped open the wrapping paper which had been lovingly placed around the gift, and inside was a large red fire engine made of metal with all moveable parts.

His eyes shone with delight as he hugged his fire engine whilst I opened my present more carefully. It was a beautiful doll with dark hair and brown eyes which was dressed in a little red satin dress with a white fur trim and matching bonnet.

It took us all our time to keep quiet so as not to awaken the others as we stealthily crept downstairs to see if there were other presents for us, tittering away as we went.

We weren’t a particularly wealthy family in those days, but I suppose in the big plan of things we were better off than most what with having the shop, a telephone, a car and more tellies than anyone needs because we had a telly and radio shop. Our parents worked very hard to give us a holiday in Wales every year and in all honesty I can’t remember poverty but we must have had poor times.

Anyway, once downstairs we opened the living room door to a warm glow coming from the Christmas tree lights in the corner and there was a positive Aladdin’s cave of presents for us both. David had a police pedal car, complete with headlights and all sorts of other boy-type toys. That year the shop must have done particularly well because I had a Silver Cross pram complete with doll, a cot with yet another dolly under the blankets, a blackboard and easel, a desk and chair, another dolly to play with, and then there were lots of board games to keep us quiet. As I recall it, that was the year we got our Magic Robot which was new out in the shops and I loved that game above all others.

As we were enjoying opening our presents and “oooo-ing” and “ah-ing” we hadn’t realised that the volume of our voices had risen in the excitement and we hadn’t heard the footsteps coming down the stairs. We nearly leapt out of our skins when the door opened and mum stood there. “What are you two up to?” she asked, but there was a smile on her mouth.

Sat like two rabbits caught up in headlights we half expected her to be cross with us, but she just threw her head back and started laughing then she came and sat on the floor with us while we hugged her. Dad joined us shortly after, even though it was only about 5.30 in the morning.

I think that was the best Christmas we ever had as children, as far as getting toys is concerned, and perhaps the following years weren’t as good for the shop as that year, because I don’t remember getting so much at one time before, or after; but it didn’t matter.

We never really felt the cold much in our house because it was always made pleasant with the warmth of a happy family.

© Mollie M
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Re: Christmas 1956

That's lovely Mollie and brings back memories of Christmas's past ...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Re: Christmas 1956

Thank you for reading, Meg.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top