Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Traditional 60w bulbs, the end in sight.

I hear on the radio that production of the 60w bulb will cease at the end of this month.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/bus...-in-price.html

I do have some 'energy saving bulbs' but to replace all the bulbs in the house is very expensive.
There are some lights that I only have on for a short time, it seems a waste to replace the bulbs in these with the expensive bulbs. It seems I will have no choice soon...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Re: Traditional 60w bulbs, the end in sight.

I dislike the new bulbs, I know they're greener, but they simply are not as bright and are horribly expensive,. I have stocked up on incandescents; when I moved the friend who was helping me pack laughed and said I had enough to last me till I was 100! Well, they don't go bad, do they?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Always makes me laugh when people talk about how green these bulbs are. Yes, they save energy..but they use more resources and energy to make them. They also contain mercury vapour and phosphor which are not very nice chemicals. Also they draw a lot of energy to 'ignite', which usually means if you use them for less than about eight minutes, they use more energy than conventional bulbs.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 04:39 PM

We were discussing this on our sister forum Catsey. They are greener in that they use less energy to produce from coal fired plants; the downside is the mercury.Disposal can be a problem.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 04:46 PM

i bought a load on e bay,,the new ones arnt bright enough for me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 06:51 PM

They are getting rid of the old type over here too Meg, it must be another Euro thing, another con job if you ask me, did you see the selection of the new energy saving bulbs? not to mention the price. They have pig-tail shaped, and those horrible looking organ-pipe things, and the ones my missus got- halogen, the ones you cannot touch with your fingers you have to use a tissue, it's like trying to pick up a peanut with garden gloves on, that old joke about how many it takes to change a light bulb isn't a joke when you have halogen bulbs, and they keep blowing after a week or so. Why can't they just leave well enough alone.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 07:03 PM

I dislike these new bulbs too, too gloomy..

What watt is the brightest one you can get now?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

21-08-2011, 07:07 PM

It's here in the States too, Jem! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Bah! I bought one by accident once, picked the wrong one off the shelf, didn't notice till I got to checkout, and decided, oh well, try it ...... well, the wretched thing lasted about ....... TWO WEEKS!!! And cost about $7.00, I was just livid. Never again if I can help it.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 07:17 PM

I like the pink coloured bulbs, dont like thewhite ones too bright for me and I understand if you have epilepsy they can bring on a fit, dont ask me how.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

21-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I dislike these new bulbs too, too gloomy..

What watt is the brightest one you can get now?
Mags, in my Giant supermarket web site the highest one is 30 watts which they say is equivalent to120 watts. It costs $7.50.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top