Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Re: Traditional 60w bulbs, the end in sight.

I now know why the light pendant I recently bought was such a good sale bargain - it is a six arm pendant and is designed to take those little candle bulbs with a twirl on the end like a flame. They must have known it won't look right with those new UGLY looking light bulbs. I haven't been able to find any nice dainty looking energy saving bulb that will look right with it, so I am going to have to try to stock up as well. Grrrrrr
PS - I'm not really extravagant - I prefer sidelights and we very rarely have this light on - suppose I could just leave the spent bulbs in and pretend it works.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Oh dear, why are things getting more complicated as you get older? I have no idea what bloomin' lumens are, AB - but I'll make a note of 100w = 25w and 60w = 11w (that's easier to remember!). Also, those are the two I use most
Mags, if you can find a 30 w (new) bulb, it is 120 w (old) one; I find for a reading lamp you really need a bit more than 100 (old) w.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I now know why the light pendant I recently bought was such a good sale bargain - it is a six arm pendant and is designed to take those little candle bulbs with a twirl on the end like a flame. They must have known it won't look right with those new UGLY looking light bulbs. I haven't been able to find any nice dainty looking energy saving bulb that will look right with it, so I am going to have to try to stock up as well. Grrrrrr
PS - I'm not really extravagant - I prefer sidelights and we very rarely have this light on - suppose I could just leave the spent bulbs in and pretend it works.
Aerolor, is a pendant what we call a chandelier?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks for that info Eileen, I like a nice bright light too so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 30w bulb
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 10:08 AM

They are just awful. We have changed all the bulbs over to energy saving bulbs and they give out a dimmer lighting effect. I would like to change them back to the original bulbs. I can't imagine anyone preferring the energy saving bulbs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Aerolor, is a pendant what we call a chandelier?
I don't really think so Eileen. I think of a pendant as a light fiting which hangs down rather than fitting flush up to the ceiling It can be just a single light or several branches with or without shades. To me a chandelier is more complicated with refractive glass and crystal. This fitting I have has no crystal, it has six branches, hangs on a chain and is made of metal with twining leaves runnning through it. It is painted and distressed in white and is supposed to look rustic and natural. It's a devil to clean.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

23-08-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm not sure I quite understand the difference, here's a pic of a chandelier without the crystal that sounds sort of what you are describing??

Or this vchandelier:

rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't say there is a difference really apart from pendants covering anything hanging on a length of chain from the ceiling and chandeliers are pendants with multiple crystal glass droplets or bulb holders.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

23-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Then I think that may be a UK-US difference in terminology. Anything handing from the ceiling is a chandelier, it's not restricted to crystal. Neither of the two I posted have any crystal, but were found on a Google search for chandeliers. I had a lovely wrought iron one at my former house, unfortunately never thought to take a pic of it. Aren't the differences in our English interesting? I do love this forum!
rueben
lancs uk

23-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Then I think that may be a UK-US difference in terminology. Anything handing from the ceiling is a chandelier, it's not restricted to crystal. Neither of the two I posted have any crystal, but were found on a Google search for chandeliers. I had a lovely wrought iron one at my former house, unfortunately never thought to take a pic of it. Aren't the differences in our English interesting? I do love this forum!
I am sure you are right. Putting it another way I would probably call a pendant a single hanging light fitting and a chandelier a multiple hanging light fitting

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top