Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
William
New Member!
Sheffield
William is male 

11-02-2012, 03:53 PM

DIY Drills for the young at heart

Hi all, i am new to your wonderful forum today !
Firstly though i have to make an appology, i am only 20 ! However i am looking to gather some first hand information from anyone who is willing to post their thoughts to help me out!

I am a Product design student from Sheffield Hallam University, and at the moment i am taking part in a live project for B&Q. The project is to design a power tool, prodiminantly a drill to cater specifically to an audience that is not the typical main user of drills.

I am working towards the idea of a drill aimed at a more mature audience who already/ or who would like to spend time doing DIY around the house!
The drill is designed to be a uni sex product, that is easy to use and meets the audiences needs.

My main ideas from a few questionaires i have carried out are as follows:

A Compact Corded drill with a short life battery included for small quick jobs,
Multi functional, Hammer and screwdriver capabilities,
Light weight and well balanced,
Well constructed for longevity,

Any thoughts or features that anyone would like to see, or just thoughts in general on the product would be greatly apperciated !

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing from you

Cheers Will
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Re: DIY Drills for the young at heart

Hello William, speaking for myself, I have been using power drills for a long time now and I'm sure so have many of the members here. Cordless and lightweight are very important to me also the quick changing chuck.
Good luck to you in your project.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 05:17 PM

I'm no DIYer but I would have thought that anything cordless would be preferable as there isn't always easy access to power where you are working but charging at home is usually easy. My late OH had loads of cordless drills/screwdrivers as he was a carpenter by trade.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Hi William, you are a cheeky lad
Hubby said, all the specs seem fine but how about a change of colour? A nice bright blue - old eyes would find it easily in the shed
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 05:35 PM

I'd say definitely light weight
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Screwdriver function.
Hammer mode
powerful
how about drill bits that pack inside the thing because half the problem is finding the damn things?
PS why should drills for crumblies be different to those for `normal` people.
William
New Member!
Sheffield
William is male 

11-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Thankyou very much for the quick response's everyone, its a big help!

All your inputs are great, with regards colour i am think something different to the current products available and hopefully will be developing a brand colour scheme, which will be fairly bright but not tacky.

I am looking at Lithium Ion battery technology, which sustains charge for a much longer period up to a year and a half between charge cycles

The drills would be cater more towards weights and make it as balanced as possible, also handle characteristics and ergonomics making the handles more uni sex, as some of the ladys identified this point in questionaires Comments on handles being uncomfortable on some products.

As apposed to chucks and bit replacement i am hoping to develop a easy release system, using a spring returned section that slides backwards to release the drill bits in stead of the complicated screw chucks used in other drills !

I am in the midst of some concept sketching, so i will post some pictures of the design direction i am currently thinking and any inputs or thoughts are greatly welcomed !

Thanks again,

Ps this is by far the best forum i have ever joined, and i apperciate your inputs no end
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Oh dear...
and it was going so well.
If you are seeking backing for your product please invest in a spell checker.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 06:17 PM

As a design student you must have heard of the KISS princple and from the description you give this is not going to one of those KISS products.

I do not understand your design being 'Short term battery life' when you later on state that you are thinking along Lithium Ion batteries for longer life! Which is it?

As for the chuck release your idea is already in production.

Well constructed for Longevity!! What is it going to be made out of?

Plastic has drawbacks but help to make the product light, Metal will stand the test of time but is heavy, Carbon Composite materials can be expensive mouldings.

What do you mean, Uni-Sex? Are'nt all cordless drill uni-Sex? I have not come across one that will not allow either of the sexes to use it.

As for colour!!!! the mind boggles, is it going to be Pink for females and Blue for males? Who gives a dam about the colour, it has to be functional more than pleasing to the eye.

I will certainly look forward to seeing your drawing, but be careful how you label items on the drawings.

Claireanddaisy, there are drills on the market that have a compartment for holding the drill bits.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 06:36 PM

You make some good points AB, only one grump, you say "Who gives a damn about the colour?". Well I certainly do!, I wouldn't be seen dead with a PINK drill in my hand, especially working outdoors, what would the neighbours say, "OH dear!, I never thought Jem was that way inclined". Any other colour is fine with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top