Join for free
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 12:09 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

As a first step, read this article and then Download the Windows Firewall Troubleshooter from Microsoft.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-t...ewall-problems

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Cheers Omah, but even with the firewall turned off the problem still exists......
A quick use of the 'Troubleshooter' reveals that the adapter is to blame (whatever that is) and fixes the problem....For a while anyway.
It looks like Bruce's suggestion is looking more like a solution...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Cheers Omah, but even with the firewall turned off the problem still exists......
A quick use of the 'Troubleshooter' reveals that the adapter is to blame (whatever that is) and fixes the problem....For a while anyway.
It looks like Bruce's suggestion is looking more like a solution...
I am not sure that is a solution for your problem. I would be checking that all my drivers are up to date first off.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure that is a solution for your problem. I would be checking that all my drivers are up to date first off.
The computer is only a fortnight old Bruce.......
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 07:02 PM

The computer is only a fortnight old Bruce.......
I have a feeling that even a brand new computer might need its drivers updating.

I seem to remember mine needed it.

Worth checking.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have a feeling that even a brand new computer might need its drivers updating.

I seem to remember mine needed it.

Worth checking.
Thanks JB, I'll look into that......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-01-2019, 01:00 PM

There has been a development.....
It appears that when the power cable is attached there are no problems at all concerning my wifi connection....
Looks like somewhere in the bowels of windows 10 it's trying to conserve battery power by keeping normal operations short....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 03:17 PM

It appears that when the power cable is attached there are no problems at all concerning my wifi connection....
Looks like somewhere in the bowels of windows 10 it's trying to conserve battery power by keeping normal operations short....
I can't see anything in Power Options other than what I think might be the default setting of putting the computer to sleep (mine is set to 1 hour) when not plugged in.

It's not something I have really bothered about as I almost always use it plugged in.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 03:17 AM

I have seen a 'Power saving Option' but have never used it however iit might be worth entering 'power saving' in Settings or Control Panel search box and seeing what you can change.

Some of the default settings that either Windows or the manufacturer set seem a bit odd to me. For example the power button is often set to 'Sleep' rather than 'Turn off Computer' and is one of the first things I check on a new computer. I would be a modestly rich man if I had $10 from each of the people who have come to me saying their new laptop battery is always flat.

It is invariably because they put their computer to sleep rather than turning it off. Closing the 'lid' is usually set to send the laptop to sleep which I think is sensible so why is the power button set the same way?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

10-01-2019, 03:30 AM

As an aside my original Lenovo laptop (T420s) has a physical switch on the side of the case that switches the wifi off. You can do it electronically but having the switch is really handy for setting up modems using a cable for example.

My new laptop doesn't have this feature and, while it isn't the end of the world, it was very handy.

Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top