Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Re: DNA Database

I once read a book by Michael Crichton called Next and it was a story around this very topic.

Although it is obviously a work of fiction, it does outline what could happen once society goes down this route. I can't remember if this next bit appeared in this particular book or another one but it centered around rich people who need transplants and a DNA database was used to find suitable donors; needless to say, the suitable donors had 'accidents' - most fortunate for those in need of specific organs. Don't say 'that will never happen' because it most likely would when money talks loudest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_%28novel%29

(read author's comments at the end)
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

23-05-2013, 12:04 AM

organ harvesting is a big industry already in the world sometimes legally and other times illegal. I've heard of African countries where kids are being killed to harvest their organs and sell on - the mind boggles.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
organ harvesting is a big industry already in the world sometimes legally and other times illegal. I've heard of African countries where kids are being killed to harvest their organs and sell on - the mind boggles.
Good grief - I haven't heard about that! Are you sure? If yes, why doesn't that appear on the news?

Makes the barcode comment less of a joke when you think we could end up as nothing more than products to purchase to some people!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

23-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Good grief -
I haven't heard about that! Are you sure? If yes, why doesn't that appear on the news?
Makes the barcode comment less of a joke when you think we could end up as nothing more than products to purchase to some people!
probably because Africa is seldomly newsworthy apart from high politics but I've watched docos several times on it and the filming to get results was dangerous at times. Remember many African countries still are often influenced at a street level by voodoo and witchcraft. Children are not always cherished in some African countries and stealing children can be a common phenomena with either the police not bothering to investigate
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2013, 10:19 AM

So we can deduce from that that hypocracy is alive and well in the world of politics: it's not acceptable for a dictator to slaughter his own people but slaughter of children for the gain of others is acceptable? I despair of the world sometimes and it's two-faced attitudes.

Okay, so when we have organisations like Animal Liberation - where are those shouting from the rooftops about children being treated as nothing more than an organ incubator
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Illegal organ harvesting is big business and it is not just taking place in Africa. This despicable criminal activity takes place in other countries including China, South Korea, Philippines and many European countries.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

23-05-2013, 11:54 AM

agreed - didn't want to upset BV too much!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Interestingly, opposite the Chinese Embassy in London, you will see a permanent demonstration by members of the Falun Gong (a religious/spiritual group with several million members in China). Falun Gong was outlawed in China by the Chinese Communist Party and since then its practicioners have alleged that thousands of its adherents have been murdered for organ harvesting by the Chinese Government. Although this sounds almost unbelievable (although after yesterday's incident in Woolwich nothing seems unbelievable any more) there is significant evidence that the allegations are true - http://organharvestinvestigation.net...#_Toc160145147
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
agreed - didn't want to upset BV too much!
Too late

I repeat - none of my details are going on any DNA database - I need my organs myself and I don't want to have any dodgy accidents!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Interestingly, opposite the Chinese Embassy in London, you will see a permanent demonstration by members of the Falun Gong (a religious/spiritual group with several million members in China). Falun Gong was outlawed in China by the Chinese Communist Party and since then its practicioners have alleged that thousands of its adherents have been murdered for organ harvesting by the Chinese Government. Although this sounds almost unbelievable (although after yesterday's incident in Woolwich nothing seems unbelievable any more) there is significant evidence that the allegations are true - http://organharvestinvestigation.net...#_Toc160145147
I can't read it - I'm one of those that has trouble switching off to things especially when there's nothing I can do about it. How depraved does a mind have to be to think this is okay?

I really don't understand why the 'civilised' world isn't jumping up and down about this. I suppose the saying 'those who run the show and benefit from it can't be expected to change it' is true.

Right - I'm off to look for something lighthearted ...

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top