Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 09:34 AM

Defence Review

Hi

Due this week, huge cuts to conventional forces, in particular the Army.

Hints that upgrade of armour will be awarded to s German firm
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 04:25 PM

Re: Defence Review

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Due this week, huge cuts to conventional forces, in particular the Army.

Hints that upgrade of armour will be awarded to s German firm
Have we regressed so far that our soldiers will wear armour Swimmy?

Will the German stuff have special pockets for their wurst?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 08:25 AM

Its Botts and Drones from here on in.

Games without Frontiers, war without Tears, Hopefully.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 10:38 AM

I believe there's a great deal of sense in this. Even more sense in adopting a policy of neutrality combined with expelling all foreign military presence from our soil (which should have been done many decades ago).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I believe there's a great deal of sense in this. Even more sense in adopting a policy of neutrality combined with expelling all foreign military presence from our soil (which should have been done many decades ago).
I agree to a point.

We are an island. If we can just resist poking our noses in where they are not wanted, we could simply concentrate on protecting ourselves and our homeland.

If our politicians could be persuaded to do this, we wouldn't need a particularly large army. Now that Bidet is in charge, we should not be so keen on jumping to his demands should he next ask us to join him in invading the Middle East!

However, what we do need is a strong navy and a strong air force. Both of these would act as the first line of defence against a foreign aggressor not forgetting, of course, the future need (hopefully) to defend our maritime assets including fishing areas - assuming that we ever achieve the political will to wish to do so!

Despite the number of 'boat people' who regularly invade our land, it is not easy for an enemy to land forces on our island, and our army should be sized appropriate to be able to repel such invaders.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree to a point.

We are an island. If we can just resist poking our noses in where they are not wanted, we could simply concentrate on protecting ourselves and our homeland.

If our politicians could be persuaded to do this, we wouldn't need a particularly large army. Now that Bidet is in charge, we should not be so keen on jumping to his demands should he next ask us to join him in invading the Middle East!

However, what we do need is a strong navy and a strong air force. Both of these would act as the first line of defence against a foreign aggressor not forgetting, of course, the future need (hopefully) to defend our maritime assets including fishing areas - assuming that we ever achieve the political will to wish to do so!

Despite the number of 'boat people' who regularly invade our land, it is not easy for an enemy to land forces on our island, and our army should be sized appropriate to be able to repel such invaders.
The need for both of those is reducing thanks to technology.
Both will soon be more for show than for practical purposes in most cases as drones of various types together with advanced weaponry like lasers renders them militarily impotent.

Already things like aircraft carriers are more of a show of strength than any real practical value as even ignoring nukes, new hypersonic missiles could take one out from the other side of the world before it even knew it was under attack.

Protecting ourselves doesn't (or soon won't) need huge vessels or huge manpower any more because technology is well-able to handle many requirements.
Small and smart can be very effective.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 12:49 PM

The world just got hit with a pandemic of Coronavirus courtesy of the CCP. No army or navy or airforce could protect us against that.

I think the foot soldier is a thing of the past too I agree with Boris - small tactical land forces and air supremacy is the future using drone technology etc. We don't need tanks either, they are easy targets for drones now
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-03-2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The world just got hit with a pandemic of Coronavirus courtesy of the CCP. No army or navy or airforce could protect us against that.

I think the foot soldier is a thing of the past too I agree with Boris - small tactical land forces and air supremacy is the future using drone technology etc. We don't need tanks either, they are easy targets for drones now
Agreed but talking of tanks have you seen how the new camouflage confuses drones?
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2021/...british-tanks/

It is often said that the next war won't be nuclear or physical but technological, with a shutdown of the internet.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 05:25 PM

Bert Einstein is quoted as saying that the forth world war will be fought with sticks and stones.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

You are Neville Chamberlain and I claim my 5 Reichmarks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top