Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 01:46 PM

EU Civil War - Five EU Countries Rebelling!

Interesting article again from Emily Ferguson Daily Express.

EU BUDGET negotiations have kicked off in Brussels this week and talks have already become heated with five member states face crippling annual payments in order to foot the Brexit bill.

European member states will meet for a crucial plenary debate on the bloc’s long term budget today, having failed to reach an agreement after months of grueling negotiations. Countries are split on how the EU will cover the funding gap left by Britain’s departure from the bloc. Five countries are set to foot the majority of the bill, which will see their annual contributions almost DOUBLE!

Austria, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden could see their contributions to the EU’s long term budget, also known as the Multiannual Financial Framework, increase dramatically.

Under current proposals, Germany’s net contribution would rise from €16billion (£13.5billion) to €26billion (£22.8billlion) per year.

Contributions from the Netherlands would increase from €4.5billion (£3.8billion) to €8billion (£6.7billion), while Austria would see its contributions double to €2billion (£1.7billion).

Earlier this week European Council President Charles Michel met with EU negotiators to discuss their priorities for the budget that will determine spending from 2021-27, ahead of next week’s plenary on the matter.

So far EU states have been unable to agree on the size of the budget, the volumes of the main policy areas, the revenue sources and the possibility to add new conditions and incentives for the disbursement of EU funds.

But time is running out to reach an agreement, as the budget proposals need to be signed up by the European Parliament in time for it to start in January 2021.

Unquote

Ouch, that’s going to hurt! I wonder how all those “Oh so powerful coalition of countries” that agreed with the EU giving a kicking to the UK from day one with Cameron, are feeling now that the chickens have come home to roost!

I don’t wish more hardship on the 5 countries that are being taken to the cleaners due to us leaving, but they really should have thought of such as this happening when they sided against offering concessions to Britain which may well have prevented Brexit from ever happening. Certainly must be a case of ….If only….. and ….I wish I had…..

Unfortunately for the 5, that ship has already sailed. Their turn to get angry as they are held upside down, shaken and pockets turned inside out!

What do you think?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:12 PM

Re: EU Civil War - Five EU Countries Rebelling!

Dear girl, every seven years there are these fierce discussion. Only difference this time is that the UK is not allowed to participate, since they are not a beneficing party where part of the mff budget is spent.

Look here:
After two and a half years of intense and complicated negotiations, the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission reached an agreement on the much expected Multiannual Financial Framework 2014-2020 (MFF 2014-2020). Though the MFF 2014-2020 focuses on growth and job creation, for the first time in the EU’s history, the overall amount of the MFF will be lower (3.5%) than those in the previous financial period (2007-13). During the past months several governments of Member States, in particular the net contributors, fought hard to reduce the spending ceilings, arguing that national governments had also been forced to approve austerity budgets.* http://www.realinstitutoelcano.org/w...work-2014-2020
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:33 PM

It would be interesting for someone to look back over the, say, 20 or 25 years and see by how much the budgets and contributions have increased, and to then compare them, and the rate of increase, with these most recent proposals

Oh, I can't be bothered to find out the exact figures, but I seem to remember that (approximately)

the UK was the 3rd biggest contributor
of the 27 or 28 member countries only 11 or 12 were net contributors
the UK's contribution was equal to the bottom 18 combined

So it should have been obvious that when the UK left and no longer gave the EU £12 billion, or thereabouts, a year, that some serious adjustments would have to take place

this was, of course, one of the main reasons why the EU was making it so difficult to leave

to use a recently popular phrase - am I bovvered?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Dear girl, every seven years there are these fierce discussion. Only difference this time is that the UK is not allowed to participate, since they are not a beneficing party where part of the mff budget is spent.

Look here:
After two and a half years of intense and complicated negotiations, the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission reached an agreement on the much expected Multiannual Financial Framework 2014-2020 (MFF 2014-2020). Though the MFF 2014-2020 focuses on growth and job creation, for the first time in the EU’s history, the overall amount of the MFF will be lower (3.5%) than those in the previous financial period (2007-13). During the past months several governments of Member States, in particular the net contributors, fought hard to reduce the spending ceilings, arguing that national governments had also been forced to approve austerity budgets.* http://www.realinstitutoelcano.org/w...work-2014-2020
In response to your first paragraph, there may well be "fierce discussions every seven years" but I'll bet a pound to a penny discussions were more than 'fierce' this time!
However you wish to phrase the above, the hard truth is that you five are being mugged for almost double your input into the EU budget. And to not even admit this hurts just shows your Ostrich stick your head in the sand mentality.

This is just the start of many eye-openers coming the way of the remaining member states. A timely reminder of just how the UK was used as an open wallet for the EU. Time now to learn the hard way how to take up the slack now we have zipped up the money-tree.

I don't wish any hardship on member states, but I do want to see justice done by letting Member states see with their own eyes how their budget contributions are spent on the top echelon EU fatcats without the UK no longer being one of the patsy's footing the largess of the bill.

Don't envy you at all and so relieved well out of it.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
It would be interesting for someone to look back over the, say, 20 or 25 years and see by how much the budgets and contributions have increased, and to then compare them, and the rate of increase, with these most recent proposals

Oh, I can't be bothered to find out the exact figures, but I seem to remember that (approximately)

the UK was the 3rd biggest contributor
of the 27 or 28 member countries only 11 or 12 were net contributors
the UK's contribution was equal to the bottom 18 combined

So it should have been obvious that when the UK left and no longer gave the EU £12 billion, or thereabouts, a year, that some serious adjustments would have to take place

this was, of course, one of the main reasons why the EU was making it so difficult to leave

to use a recently popular phrase - am I bovvered?
Wrong. The contribution is based on percentage of gdp.

You should look back a little further. For half of your membership period you were net reveivers. It was the EU that helped you recover from your economic decline. As you know, you were called the poor man of europe.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

12-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
In response to your first paragraph, there may well be "fierce discussions every seven years" but I'll bet a pound to a penny discussions were more than 'fierce' this time!
However you wish to phrase the above, the hard truth is that you five are being mugged for almost double your input into the EU budget. And to not even admit this hurts just shows your Ostrich stick your head in the sand mentality.

This is just the start of many eye-openers coming the way of the remaining member states. A timely reminder of just how the UK was used as an open wallet for the EU. Time now to learn the hard way how to take up the slack now we have zipped up the money-tree.

I don't wish any hardship on member states, but I do want to see justice done by letting Member states see with their own eyes how their budget contributions are spent on the top echelon EU fatcats without the UK no longer being one of the patsy's footing the largess of the bill.

Don't envy you at all and so relieved well out of it.
Time and again I tell you to do some research. The increase in contribution is based on gdp. So, in principle, those 5 should be able to donate that money.
Research would have shown that the increase is thought necessary because of extra expenditure on climate change targets. It was bread who recently pointed out that the UK is going to invest significantly in similar targets. So the UK will face similar financial 'hardship'.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-02-2020, 03:27 PM

Wrong. The contribution is based on percentage of gdp.

You should look back a little further. For half of your membership period you were net reveivers. It was the EU that helped you recover from your economic decline. As you know, you were called the poor man of europe.
Don't deny that for a moment. We were in dire straits when we first joined. But this present dictatorship (I know, I know) sorry, I just cannot think of another apt word to describe them
is nothing akin to the common market area that we poor saps thought we were joining 47 years ago.
I also fully acknowledge that it was our own Government that betrayed us at the time by taking us in on a blatant lie. Little wonder that the Nero's over there took full fat advantage of the situation at the time and virtually stripped us bare.

But hey, that was then, now is now. We've come full circle and for the first time in my (and 17.399 million people that voted Leave) life, it's a wonderful feeling to be on the outside looking in. Long may it be so.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:35 PM

Hi

The EU will do what it will do.

It is no longer part of the UK Future.

It is now down to our Politicians as to what our Future will be.

We have nobody to blame except ourselves.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Those extra costs will be paid either :

1. Through austerity in the member states having to pay up
2. By Germany asking for debt repayments from Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Greece. (Expect land grabs from Germany in the coming months).

Most likely it will be a combination of both.

I posted this about a week ago, it's good to see its not just me paying attention.

Meanwhile, the EU need to take stock that "Treasure Island" is opening up its markets to other countries for imports. The EU have on one hand and enormous amount of money to find from Denmark, France, Germany etc and on the other, their biggest single market outside the EU walking away and trading elsewhere.

Oh... and Germany and the 26 already have shrinking economies.

Oh dear
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:58 PM

Time and again I tell you to do some research. The increase in contribution is based on gdp. So, in principle, those 5 should be able to donate that money.
Research would have shown that the increase is thought necessary because of extra expenditure on climate change targets. It was bread who recently pointed out that the UK is going to invest significantly in similar targets. So the UK will face similar financial 'hardship'.
The green targets in the EU are part of your monetary policy. They aren't in the UK ... the Eurozone is being knee-capped by Christine La Garde and her silly ideological nonsense.

Off you go spending money you don't have on your EU Green Deal, all the time thinking you can grab money from outside the EU as part of your border tax policy. Quantitive Easing has a new name - it's called "Because of Climate Change", which is easier for your unelected masters to swallow than "financial crisis"...

Its a complete disaster Solasch and its the sort of scheme dreamed up by people that have no idea about economics. People like Christine La Garde, the convicted criminal, who has no economic experience.

It's going to be fun watching Poland become carbon neutral, and Spain, and Germany ...

Oh dear.....

I'll explain what the "Carbon Border Tax" will mean for Denmark later if you like

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top