Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 01:15 AM

Big Bucks in Goats

Feral animals can be a big problem in Australia, collecting feral goats has become a profitable business.

When I was driving from Mildura to Broken Hill a little while back I saw thousands of feral goats beside the road, they were everywhere.

I like the way they are sold overseas as "Free Range" rather than feral.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Re: Big Bucks in Goats

Looks as if Australia is a NANNY country
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Feral animals can be a big problem in Australia, collecting feral goats has become a profitable business.

When I was driving from Mildura to Broken Hill a little while back I saw thousands of feral goats beside the road, they were everywhere.

I like the way they are sold overseas as "Free Range" rather than feral.
Goat ribs on the barbie !!
Delicious !!
Problem over!

Donkeyman! 😁😁
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 12:14 AM

Poor old goats.
It's not their fault they have to live and forage there.
They are not living there just to annoy humans, and they have to eat something after all.
Why not just protect the things you don't want them to eat?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Poor old goats.
It's not their fault they have to live and forage there.
They are not living there just to annoy humans, and they have to eat something after all.
Why not just protect the things you don't want them to eat?
It's exactly the same reason why they don't fence railway lines.

A fence for sheep costs about $8400 in materials per kilometre (cattle costs less, horses more, I don't know the figure for a goat proof fence but I guess that it wouldn't be cheaper than sheep).

The distance from Mildura to Broken Hill (there is virtually nothing between the two towns) is about 300km so 600km of fencing just to fence the road that's over $5million just for materials and only a single fence each side of the road. Add the cost of labour, fuel etc to that.

Sent your money now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top