Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 11:52 AM

Re: Anybody seen Barmier ???

The UK have offered the EU a trade deal. The EU offered May the same thing back in 2018. May didn't want that because she wanted something closer to the EU. Now the EU do not appear to want one without strings being attached. These strings mainly relate to Fishing, Level Playing Field and the future jurisdiction of the ECJ. I think most people who voted Brexit would prefer a trade deal, but not at any price and are quite happy for a no deal if it turns out that way.

Now if there is no trade deal then the EU don't get the things they are asking for (strings) anyway. Added to that are the job losses for their citizens and tariffs on many goods entering the UK from EU. Of course, there will be problems here also.

Also, if there's no trade deal then the WA may well be at risk. Not good for the EU. Johnson is unpredictable and the EU are now realising this. His Internal Market Bill has driven this point home.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
You seem to be one of the (to me it seems) few people who can imagine to be friends with EU countries. Those who hate "the EU" so much do hate all of the 450 million inhabitants because they are "the EU". Hm.

When it comes to rumblings about leaving the EU I am very sure that the majority of Germans would want to leave the EU if you asked them on the street with a microphone in your hand. However I am sure that most Germans dont bother to be informed about the EU in more detail. "We" are a member, the EU is very bureaucratic, too many regulations (like the correct shape of a cucumber) and things like that. Sadly that is all they need or want to know.

However Brexit has had some effect on many people I believe because now they take a closer look at what the EU means. Therefore I doubt that there will be other (NE|DE|IT|FR...)xits in the near future.

One last thing: for some years now we all have been trying to predict what life will be after Brexit and after the transition period. It is about time to see what it really is like. We are all tired of waiting arent we?
You mention the word HATE Lotta numbers ??
Where did you get that from??
We hate being rooked and we hate having things filched from us?
We hate having rules forced onto us!!
And worst of all we hate that our "leaders" of the time connived in
allowing the our sovreignty to be sucked slowly from us??
But hate the people?? NO!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 03:08 PM

You seem to be one of the (to me it seems) few people who can imagine to be friends with EU countries. Those who hate "the EU" so much do hate all of the 450 million inhabitants because they are "the EU". Hm.
I would like to correct you there by clarifying how I'm sure many of us feel, and I know it's not possible to speak for everybody but here are both my own feelings and my impression of the more-general UK sentiment:

No, those who hate the EU so much certainly do not hate all of the 450 million inhabitants.
We are sensible enough to distinguish between ordinary people and an increasingly federalist politial union.

The hated ones are the politicians who enthuse over this federalism and police the enforcement of the "union", not everyday people.
Much the same as we hate some of our own politicians BTW, so don't presume those EU politicos to be somehow picked out for special treatment.

It is the EU that is disliked or hated, depending upon the individual of course.
Not the EU's citizens.
And not Europe.

If the EU had remained a union encouraging trade things would probably have continued unopposed.
But no, the EU decided to morph into a federalist monster intent upon increasing it's own power at the expense of its own citizens.

Those of us wanting our independence are anti-EU, not anti-Europe.
There is quite a difference.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You mention the word HATE Lotta numbers ??
Where did you get that from??
We hate being rooked and we hate having things filched from us?
We hate having rules forced onto us!!
And worst of all we hate that our "leaders" of the time connived in
allowing the our sovreignty to be sucked slowly from us??
But hate the people?? NO!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Hi Donkeyman,
There are several youtube channels dealing with Brexit. For example a very moderate channel "different bias" with very little EU-hate in the comments. However there are the other channels from e. g. "Jeff Taylor" and "Westmonster". Have a look at their comments section and you will see where I got that from.

Another source is the comment section of the "Independent" although I have to admit, that since some weeks ago the hateful brexiteer comments have become less in favour of remainers comments.

Thank you for your information. I hope that I made myself understood correctly when I said that I have got the impression that many UK citizens seem to hate the EU. It is only my personal opinion and my impression.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 03:13 PM

I saw on TVnews at lunchtime today Frosty and Barmier having a
smoke break outside the negotiating tunnel in brussels and they
seemed to have run out of conversation completely??
I suppose you must get pissed off being locked in a tunnel for
several days just looking at someone you have nothing in common
with and ust repeating the same old shyte over and over again??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I would like to correct you there by clarifying how I'm sure many of us feel, and I know it's not possible to speak for everybody but here are both my own feelings and my impression of the more-general UK sentiment:

No, those who hate the EU so much certainly do not hate all of the 450 million inhabitants.
We are sensible enough to distinguish between ordinary people and an increasingly federalist politial union.

The hated ones are the politicians who enthuse over this federalism and police the enforcement of the "union", not everyday people.
Much the same as we hate some of our own politicians BTW, so don't presume those EU politicos to be somehow picked out for special treatment.

It is the EU that is disliked or hated, depending upon the individual of course.
Not the EU's citizens.
And not Europe.

If the EU had remained a union encouraging trade things would probably have continued unopposed.
But no, the EU decided to morph into a federalist monster intent upon increasing it's own power at the expense of its own citizens.

Those of us wanting our independence are anti-EU, not anti-Europe.
There is quite a difference.
Hallo Zaphod,
thank you for taking the effort of explaining all that to me. Dont worry, I know or at least strongly believe that most UK people do not hate all EU citizens. How could they.

I fully agree with you on the degree of the EU being a federalist & beaurocratic monster. Sadly I have no idea how to change that. Sometimes I think it would be wise to vote for a DEEXIT in order to maybe force the EU to change for the better. Still I am not sure if that would help.

About hating the EU again: very often I read about "the frogs", "the krauts" and "the Germans wanting to rule the world again". Moreover many commentators write that they dont want the French to catch the fish in British waters (although having payed for the rights to do so). So this is not against some leading EU politicians but against the people of some countries.

I think the truth is like so often somewhere in the middle.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

30-10-2020, 03:40 PM

Hi Donkeyman,
There are several youtube channels dealing with Brexit. For example a very moderate channel "different bias" with very little EU-hate in the comments. However there are the other channels from e. g. "Jeff Taylor" and "Westmonster". Have a look at their comments section and you will see where I got that from.

Another source is the comment section of the "Independent" although I have to admit, that since some weeks ago the hateful brexiteer comments have become less in favour of remainers comments.

Thank you for your information. I hope that I made myself understood correctly when I said that I have got the impression that many UK citizens seem to hate the EU. It is only my personal opinion and my impression.
If you get your info from UTube then you may well get some radical
opinions!
But l dont use Utube at all as l have difficulty hearing the talking!!
So the video thus becomes useless! Maybe just as well??
However, l am looking forward to an amicable parting of the ways
in the near future with or without a so called deal as long as we've
reclaimed our bounderies in the north sea and we are in charge of
fishing policy etc in those seas? Sounds reasonable to me??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Germany

30-10-2020, 03:54 PM

If you get your info from UTube then you may well get some radical
opinions!
But l dont use Utube at all as l have difficulty hearing the talking!!
So the video thus becomes useless! Maybe just as well??
However, l am looking forward to an amicable parting of the ways
in the near future with or without a so called deal as long as we've
reclaimed our bounderies in the north sea and we are in charge of
fishing policy etc in those seas? Sounds reasonable to me??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
It is sometimes frightening how much hate is posted on youtube. However even in other forums (like IT related ones) discussions become angry and hateful very quickly. I dont know why so many (young) people cannot continue a decent conversation even if the topic is very unemotional and impersonal.

About the future relations I am completely with you. I am very sure that for the most people it is absolutely clear that the UK is and will be a 100% sovereign and independent country/union. This in my opinion has never been a question.

If there will be ways to cooperate, trade, travel, wheatever between the UK and the EU without violating red lines / sovereignity then ok lets go.

On the other hand both parties will have to accept if this might *not* be possible due to red line crossings as *both* parties are sovereing and independent.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

30-10-2020, 03:59 PM

Who knows maybe the EU sticks to their position of "we want a deal but not at any price" and maybe they simply cannot agree with the UK on some topics. Then they could take the decision away from B.Johnson and decide for a no-deal. In that situation he cannot let you down...
Yes, l wish eu would do that!!
But, as you see, Barmier keeps offering us extension after extension??
WHY!!!
Boris sets deadlines and Barmier extends them unilaterally??
WHY !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Germany

30-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Yes, l wish eu would do that!!
But, as you see, Barmier keeps offering us extension after extension??
WHY!!!
Boris sets deadlines and Barmier extends them unilaterally??
WHY !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Did I miss something? I thougt that the last offer of an extension is weeks or even months ago?

Your negotiation team does not have to accept offers. Why does B.Johnson not set a deadline and leave as soon as it is over?

My only explaination is that M.Barnier does not want to be blamed if he/the EU quits the negotiations. I wish they would broadcast the talks so that we could hear what they really say. I am so sick of interpreting small bits of information from the media and hearing about "intensified talks". What exactly have they been intensifying several times? Did they talk about their hobbies or the weather on year ago?

One more or less final deadline is middle of November as we all know but I find it shameful that they could not reach a decision earlier!

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top