Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:35 PM

Heating options

taking out expensive ancient storage heater and some old panel heaters from a small property we rent out.

No gas in village, too small for a woodburner so we are really down to electricity again. We have oil central heating in our own house and the house is always lovely and warm and we think the cost is worth it. However, I think the cost of putting oil central heating in would be very expensive for a one bed property.

Who has all electric heat? If so what type and are you pleased with the running costs?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 02:31 AM

Re: Heating options

For the few days I need heating I use a fan heater on low (if i forget it is on high and put on the kettle it blows the fuse). Makes a small difference to my electric bill in winter. say from $200 a quarter to $240 for the winter quarter.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 06:53 AM

I was under the impression that modern electric storage heaters are relatively efficient and there are grants available for some: https://heatingfunding.co.uk/

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home...s-aokoz3G2Em9L

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...torage-heaters
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I was under the impression that modern electric storage heaters are relatively efficient and there are grants available for some: https://heatingfunding.co.uk/

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home...s-aokoz3G2Em9L

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...torage-heaters
They are when installed in modern properties where the insulation and glazing is excellent. Installed in older homes, they aren't very efficient as the heat soon dissipates.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
taking out expensive ancient storage heater and some old panel heaters from a small property we rent out.

No gas in village, too small for a woodburner so we are really down to electricity again. We have oil central heating in our own house and the house is always lovely and warm and we think the cost is worth it. However, I think the cost of putting oil central heating in would be very expensive for a one bed property.

Who has all electric heat? If so what type and are you pleased with the running costs?
Have you thought about installing an LPG tank and boiler as an alternative to electric heating?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:52 PM

With the price of oil as it is and unlikely to rocket up again any time soon (barring unknowens of course) oil would soon work out much cheaper than the alternatives.

Initially an oil boiler costs more than LPG but oil is quite a bit cheaper than LPG - and a heck of a lot cheaper than electricity plus they are cheap & easy to service.
There are lots of places which compete to supply the cheapest oil too.

When you look at comparisons please note that heating oil has been under 30p/litre for the last year or two compared to LPG at around 70p (from my looking for LPG, not from personal experience as with oil).
In fact I filled my oil tank up earlier in the year at just over 20p/litre and even now that it's busier (as it gets colder or nearer winter) it is still under 20p.

So spending a few thousand more for oil compared to gas at current prices it wouldn't take many years before oil is working out cheaper.
But it depens on your situation.

Personally I would avoid electric heating at any cost.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 01:26 AM

There is always reverse cycle air conditioning - cool in summer, warm in winter. If I wasn't as old as I am and my house as old as it is I would get it installed.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
With the price of oil as it is and unlikely to rocket up again any time soon (barring unknowens of course) oil would soon work out much cheaper than the alternatives.

Initially an oil boiler costs more than LPG but oil is quite a bit cheaper than LPG - and a heck of a lot cheaper than electricity plus they are cheap & easy to service.
There are lots of places which compete to supply the cheapest oil too.

When you look at comparisons please note that heating oil has been under 30p/litre for the last year or two compared to LPG at around 70p (from my looking for LPG, not from personal experience as with oil).
In fact I filled my oil tank up earlier in the year at just over 20p/litre and even now that it's busier (as it gets colder or nearer winter) it is still under 20p.

So spending a few thousand more for oil compared to gas at current prices it wouldn't take many years before oil is working out cheaper.
But it depens on your situation.

Personally I would avoid electric heating at any cost.
Add to the fact that with electricity being increasingly supplied from `renewable` sources, it can no longer be guaranteed, and if the French (hawk, spit!) go ahead with their threat to starve us from their electricity supply as punishment for Brexit, the situation will get worse. Nuclear power stations should be built as a matter of urgency and full development of tidal power generation ought to take place.

Time for me to stock up on hurricane lamps for lighting, a log-burner for heating and a compact petrol generator for my PC and broadband router.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 09:28 PM

Thanks everyone.Plenty to be thinking about there. Has anybody got electric gel heaters?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Thanks everyone.Plenty to be thinking about there. Has anybody got electric gel heaters?
I haven't, sorry.

But I would like to remind you that no electrical heating system can output more heat per Watt than any other; all are 100% efficient at converting electricity into heat.
That means that each and every unit of electricity you use will generate the same amount of heat.

What differs is how the heat is used, be it radiant or by convection.
Storage heating for example may have more-efficient storage mechanism in some types BUT the amount of heat released will be the same in between recharging; the way the heat is released may differ slightly.

Basically (although many are convinced by supposed "superior" systems of one form or another) you are in effect paying usually a great deal more for a fancy style but gain absolutely nothing in terms of efficiency.

A Watt will always be a Watt.
You can't stretch it or shrink it, not by storage or by using a fancy element or by anything else.
That is basic physics.

The only way to get more for lower energy cost is to invest in a heat pump - often in the form of ground source heat pumps:
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/grou...k-aMDCm2N7jZ6X

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top