Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Re: spot the danger - Brazil style

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruce this is in BRAZIL, not my country nor my property, so how would I know. Read the heading
That was the point. The heading said "spot the danger - Brazil Style"

If neutral was not earthed then there is no danger.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Thats why uk now has the earth leakage system Brucy? No fuses.
This can be a nuisance with poorly installed systems in damp or
wet conditions,( kitchens etc) as if the water connects with the
earth the system immediately trips, and so unless the fault is
found it cannot be reset!
I think you are out of date with your ideas of uk electrics?
Regards Donkeyman!
Oh dear Assman! what you say is true but totally irrelevant. Why do you suppose there is a fuse in each plug?

The clue is in your answer "Earth Leakage", it doesn't trip/operate with a short circuit between live and neutral, hence the 16 amp fuse in the plug because on a ring main the breaker only trips when the current reaches approximately 32amps (nearly 8 kilowatts of power). Ring mains are an archaic system designed to save copper.

Do try to keep up.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Oh dear Assman! what you say is true but totally irrelevant. Why do you suppose there is a fuse in each plug?

The clue is in your answer "Earth Leakage", it doesn't trip/operate with a short circuit between live and neutral, hence the 16 amp fuse in the plug because on a ring main the breaker only trips when the current reaches approximately 32amps (nearly 8 kilowatts of power). Ring mains are an archaic system designed to save copper.

Do try to keep up.
Wendo not have fused plugs here Brucy, we have thermal overloads
to take care of short cicuits and too much current draw! Plus we
have the earth leakage to take care of accidental contact and water
spillage etc!
The thermal overload protects the three pin plug circuit from too
much current draw and short circuits without the need for clumsy
fuses and fused plugs, maybe thermal overloads have not reached
the outback yet?
Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Like all third world countries those in South America are horrible. What makes Brasil even worse is the mix of modern gadgets and primitive deployment and the mixed "cultures" ranging from tribal savagery to the tryingobe European - all intermingled.

Even though I was able to return to Europe each month I absolutely loathed my time in Brasil.

I didn't live in a gated (armed guarded) community, instead I had an apartment on the sea front in Ipanema who was relatively safe, probably safer than a gated community because those places where known to be where the big money lived.

Brasil? Looks great on postcards - but stinks to high heaven in reality.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 03:27 PM

That is truly terrifying to see! Don't they have Health & Safety in Brazil? I wonder how many have been electrocuted in that country?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
That is truly terrifying to see! Don't they have Health & Safety in Brazil? I wonder how many have been electrocuted in that country?
There is no health or safety legislation that anyone gives a damm about in any third world countries.

In Brasil any legislation in anything can be dealt with by a preemptive fine aka back hander to the appropriate official. It really is that bad.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

14-12-2019, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Wendo not have fused plugs here Brucy, we have thermal overloads
to take care of short cicuits and too much current draw! Plus we
have the earth leakage to take care of accidental contact and water
spillage etc!
The thermal overload protects the three pin plug circuit from too
much current draw and short circuits without the need for clumsy
fuses and fused plugs, maybe thermal overloads have not reached
the outback yet?
Donkeyman!
Sorry Assman but you clearly don't know what you are taking about so it is a waste of time talking to you on this subject.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

14-12-2019, 08:48 AM

The fuses in the plugs on portable electric devices are of a rating appropriate to the device. For example an electric kettle will have a 13 amp fuse whereas a table light will have a fuse of 3 amp rating.

The ring main (absolutely not just to minimise the use of copper) will be protected by a cut out comprising of a magnetic circuit breaker containing a fuseable link to protect the circuit in the event of the magnetic cut out failing to operate.

Then there is a residual current circuit breaker (formally earth leakage circuit breaker) or sometimes more than one to provide a safety cutout in the event of a fault that might not result in an over current event but would indicate a break in or contact with a safety earth.

Finally there's the incoming supply fuse prior to the consumption meter to provide safety in the event of the meter itself becoming toast.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

14-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The fuses in the plugs on portable electric devices are of a rating appropriate to the device. For example an electric kettle will have a 13 amp fuse whereas a table light will have a fuse of 3 amp rating.

The ring main (absolutely not just to minimise the use of copper) will be protected by a cut out comprising of a magnetic circuit breaker containing a fuseable link to protect the circuit in the event of the magnetic cut out failing to operate.

Then there is a residual current circuit breaker (formally earth leakage circuit breaker) or sometimes more than one to provide a safety cutout in the event of a fault that might not result in an over current event but would indicate a break in or contact with a safety earth.

Finally there's the incoming supply fuse prior to the consumption meter to provide safety in the event of the meter itself becoming toast.
At least there is someone who knows something about it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
At least there is someone who knows something about it.
My dog knows how to chew cables.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top