Join for free
Page 305 of 370 « First < 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 04:45 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Floydy, it never occurred to me that realigning your workouts might make things better for you at night. Excellent thinking on your part! I'll be interested to read how you adapt to those changes. You still are going strong! When I do biceps, I do them at various angles, outward, straight forward and then diagonally as you describe. I think it helps with real life strength that rarely involves a straight angle of lifting.

OGF, I think need to start celebrating my birthday in such style! Who cares about the number of candles on the cake when you are forging streams leading to spectacular waterfalls. Now if I can just get the people in my life to remember my birthday!

Today's run was just as steamy as anticipated, and I found myself to be the only one unwise enough to be on the back country trails, but gosh it was heavenly! The trees are dense enough to cool the surrounding air with their transpiration, and I found myself stringing together short goals of reaching the shade of one tree to the next until I had made it to the five mile mark. Just as I was about to wrap it up, I pushed aside my cardiologist's recommendations to the new gown in the closet and pressed on for another mile. Priorities .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 08:18 AM

That Extra Mile defines who we are Surfermom.....Well Done!....

Gentle summer rain accompanied me around my five mile run this morning, but far from being unpleasant, it refreshed me and helped to produce one of the most satisfying runs of this year.

Not a record breaker but after three miles my quads were feeling strong and pumped, and delivered everything I asked of them, they actually felt like they wanted to be pushed, and push I did, arriving home wet and breathless but very pleased with my performance.

Such a difference from the tired, lethargic and aching quads of the past few months.....I actually thought there was something wrong with me....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 01:59 AM

Some smashing work going on in here while I'm resting for a few days (Back later today with a proper legs session though, promise).
Bob & Suzie - I love reading about your respective forays into the countryside/beach/dirt track surroundings battling it out in a mock contest to see who is winning in the "more miles done" stakes of each wee/month/year.

Suzie - I don't know where you get the energy from. All that driving which takes its toll out of anybody. I detest long journeys and hate motorways, but if needs must as yours certainly do frequently, then it's a necessity you must undertake. You're an amazing lady. What must of us consider a workout, i.e. running, gym training, you see as relaxation to chill following your driving excursions. Well done

Bob - Yet another cruise hot on the heels of your last one. My God it must be great to be retired. I can't wait! And if Norway wasn't cold enough, you are now conquering arctic circle. Seriously though, have a fantastic time mate. And if Suzie suddenly goes missing, well she's obviously in your suitcase!

[QUOTE=Surfermom;1732997]Floydy, it never occurred to me that realigning your workouts might make things better for you at night. Excellent thinking on your part! I'll be interested to read how you adapt to those changes. You still are going strong! When I do biceps, I do them at various angles, outward, straight forward and then diagonally as you describe. I think it helps with real life strength that rarely involves a straight angle of lifting.[QUOTE]
Yes, the workouts may be a little more spread out and sometimes shorter, but the idea is to make them more intensive by striving to beat my previous attempt at each exercise. Keeping the resistance strict on curls for example will see more effort spent but with better results. The old adage "No pain, no gain" is worth it's weight in, er, iron. lol!

So to today and it's time I spent some time on the legs using this method. There will be much lesser reps but more sets and more weight too. I am hopeless at standing still doing the same formula over and over again because I lose interest too quickly. Best to keep things interesting and I'll still keep on enjoying this madness!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Good news! I got a phone call yesterday (after hearing nothing for over a week!) telling me I can restart the methotrexate, and I'm hoping that thrashing my immune system into submission will ease some recently-developed symptoms. With luck I'll get to the gym today, too - who cares if it's raining!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 05:23 AM

Tachyon, that's great news about the methotrexate. I know it helped with your symptoms and I expect you'll notice the improvement in short order - just in time to be building a new program with the new machines.

Floydy, I completely relate to the drudgery of a repetitive program. This is why I steer clear of running tracks and treadmills.

The news here is that Saharan dust has made its way across the Atlantic and has left us with days of very hazy, amber skies. There are all sorts of warnings out for people with breathing problems, but it hasn't affected my running outside of it acting like a blanket holding in the heat of the day. The plus has been spectacular skies as the sun has been setting, making for thoroughly gorgeous running scenery. Timing is everything. Go to early and the sea and land temperatures equalize leaving the air dead still. Go to late and the last few miles are in the dark. Go to early and it's Venus hot. Today, I managed 5.25 miles and hit it just right.

Doing step too, and adding the abs and pushups back.

Whew!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Tachyon, the cruise is Mrs Fox's Birthday present but it turns out that it's my birthday while we are away....We always wanted to cruise on the P&O ship Oriana but she is being decommissioned in August so it was our last chance, hence Iceland....Brrrrrrr I'd much rather have done the Med.....
Have a great holiday Bob .... and best wishes to you for your birthday while you're away!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Have a great holiday Bob .... and best wishes to you for your birthday while you're away!
Thanks Mags, with just Mrs Fox and me on this one I'm hoping to take OFF with me.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-06-2019, 09:40 PM

Thursday's run turned out to be another years best time knocking over forty seconds off the previous time. I certainly seem to have turned a corner where performance is concerned. However, I returned to running an average time this morning probably due to some enthusiastic hedge trimming yesterday which left several muscles wondering what the hell just happened!......

I must point out that the heavily jammed piece of toast consumed late on Wednesday night must have played a part in my speedy success. Forget about 'Gut Bacteria' plenty of the right kind of carbs consumed shortly before a run produces extraordinary results. And for the 'Naysayers' it's happened too many times to be a coincidence....

Almost halfway through the year and total mileage so far is 567 miles.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

29-06-2019, 04:18 AM

Toast doesn't help me run, it's the reason I have to run . I (and those soft places on my hips) rue the day I learned how to bake, but I digress...

It must have been good running day around the planet because a few pop-up showers moved through mid afternoon cooling things off mercifully so that by the time I ran, it was a chilly 28°C with a light breeze. The only downside was that all my favorite trails were soaking wet, making the ovals at the sportsplex the best place to go round...and round...and round. I With well-marked distances I tried a little speed work which will have to suffice for assisting me with my speed - since the bread is a No Go for now .

Super job, OGF! You have come back with aplomb. Isn't it strange how we go through these performance roller coaster the older we get? Great looking hedges and calves !

7.1 miles.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Toast doesn't help me run, it's the reason I have to run . I (and those soft places on my hips) rue the day I learned how to bake, but I digress...

It must have been good running day around the planet because a few pop-up showers moved through mid afternoon cooling things off mercifully so that by the time I ran, it was a chilly 28°C with a light breeze. The only downside was that all my favorite trails were soaking wet, making the ovals at the sportsplex the best place to go round...and round...and round. I With well-marked distances I tried a little speed work which will have to suffice for assisting me with my speed - since the bread is a No Go for now .

Super job, OGF! You have come back with aplomb. Isn't it strange how we go through these performance roller coaster the older we get? Great looking hedges and calves !

7.1 miles.
Thanks Surfermom..... 28*C ? I don't think I could run in those temperatures these days. Out on the road in full sun you could add another ten degrees to that....
I've managed to pull a few marathons and half marathons out of the bag in those temperatures in the past, but those days are long gone.....

That's quite an impressive distance, especially in the heat.......
I think my point was, it's not so much about the bread as the jam Surfermom.
You will have used somewhere in the region of 700 kcal for your recent run so where do you get your energy? As well you know, you need five star fuel for a good performance and unfortunately fat burning just doesn't hack it...... Hence 'the wall' on a marathon....Burning fat for energy is like filling your petrol tank with paraffin, it will burn but with poor results!

Jam and Honey = Good! Cake and pastry = Bad!

Page 305 of 370 « First < 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top