Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

That's about the upshot of it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 01:14 PM

All that washing reminds me of what happened here back in the 60’s.
There was an old mental institution near our area, it’s a new university now, anyway one of the inmates escaped one day.
He ran through the back gardens of the houses that ran parralell to the main buildings of the mental hospital. he saw a young lady hanging up her washing just like the woman on your postcard Solo, so he dragged her to the ground and raped her, he then continued his escape chased by several warders with dogs.
The headline in the Irish Independent next morning read “Nut Screws Washer and Bolts”
A very old one I know but it still raises a smile in the local.

Had a great break Solo, thanks.

Some country folks think all us city folk are ejects, one farmer on the train coming home showed me a very old snap of his grandfathers prize bull, he told me it was the most famous bull in the whole World, he said it was the father of the cow that jumped over the Moon, I just smiled and said, “How exciting for you”
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Cuts both ways Jem ...Same when you go to london and take a taxi. Those city folk see what they think are 'country yokels' and take you all round the houses to go just round the corner hoping you are clueless.

Nursery rhymes like Ring a Roses and The cow jumped over the moon often come from passed down history gossip

In the days when you could lose your head over so much as a nod and a wink “Hey Diddle Diddle” which was apparently about a romantic intrigue in the court of Elizabeth I involving the Queen (the cat) and her love of dancing (the fiddle) with Robert Dudley (the little dog), while Edward Earl of Hertford and Lady Katherine Grey (the dish and the spoon, so named for the jobs at court as taster of royal meals and bringer of royal flatware who fell in love and eloped. (Much nicer than saying they were at it hey)

That or the farmer had very cold hands enough to make a cow jump that far which isn't really that interesting is it...but if you have ever had anyone touch you with ice cold hands you will know what I mean and how far you can jump.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 11:45 AM

End of an era. With liners/ships made in parts here, there and everywhere then glued..ok..screwed together to make a cruse ship etc it's no wonder Harland and Wolff couldn't make it in todays competative world but oh what a legacy they have left us. So many went down that slipway..many to sail to faraway lands, many into battle, one into iceberg history and and one that launched itself.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Talking about building ships in H&W, sure wasn’t Noah himself an apprentice up there before he went out on his own, built his floating zoo and became famous, well so a fella from Belfast was telling me.
By the way what was Noah’s surname? They never tell you the surnames of all these bible characters, Samson who? and his delightful lover Delilah, the only lady hairdresser to be mentioned in the bible.

I loved the old fairy tales, I was raised on songs and stories as they say in the old song, they install a curiosity in a child from an early age, a curiosity that goes on all through ones life.
It’s only my own opinion but I don’t think mankind will ever tire of hearing and enjoying stories, romantic, comical, adventure, even horror stories, despite all the gadgets and electronic games available to them, it’s the oldest form of entertainment we know and it’s built into us to pass on tales, especially the women.
We learned to keep our children in check by telling them all sorts of fairy tales and that “The Bogeyman will get you if wander off on your own” worked for thousands of years until political correctness came along and told us we were scaring the kids to death and if we kept it up we’d all be prosecuted for cruelty to children.

Look what I found!, it’s a long long long time since I heard this.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 10:15 PM

What about Rivets?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-08-2019, 07:20 AM

Just spotted a guy outside with a Trundle Wheel, always wanted to be a surveyor when I was a kid, never imagined though, having to wield a Trundle Wheel at 7.15am.
solo
UK

07-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What about Rivets?
Nah Noah Rivets doesn't have a ring to it. What about Noah Sark or Noah Edmonds
solo
UK

07-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Loved the song Jem then and it still brings a smile now. Funny that we can see no wrong in it no matter how much PC preaching is done about cruelty and scaring.

spitties Trundling Wheel gave me quite a turn I can tell you as when I was little if it had a wheel on it, for some cock eyed reason that was me finished. Couldn't push a dolls pram straight to save my life if I tried and I was guilty of mass murder as 3 of my prams and dolls ended up squashed flat under the wheels of coal lorries and buses. No more dolls or prams under the xmas tree for me.

I say mass murder cos friends that were unaware of my propensity to inadvertently kill off their beloved curly haired Tiny Tears soon learned the hard way when presented with a flattened keepsake. You can't look sorry if you have ever viewed a flattened doll with eyes all going in different direction...horrified.. suitably shocked, desperately trying not to giggle all come to mind.... but not sorry.

I hasten to add as my reputation disintegrated I was barred from pushing anything living, live or remotely looking as though it could draw breath much to many mothers relief
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

07-08-2019, 09:29 PM

There is a special knack in pushing a pram Solo, my missus was a dab hand with a pram, both for our own two kids and the three grandkids. she comes from a big family and most of them were girls, I think she passed her pram pushing test when she was four or five. I have never pushed a pram, men didn’t do that when I was young, I see nothing wrong with a fella helping out, but then again I was never asked to.

That reminds me of the time we went for a walk along the Royal Canal one Summers day, we had been shopping for groceries earlier and decided as the two grandkids were with us to ramble home via the canal, one to the kids was walking and the other fella was in the pram, we went under the railway bridge and when we emerged there was a huge plough horse walking towards us, we got a bit scared as it approached us on the narrow path and the walking grand child started crying, there was nowhere to go to get out of it’s way, barring we all jumped into the canal, the horse looked tired hungry and neglected, as it got nearer I took a loaf of bread from the wife’s shopping bag, quickly took the wrapping off and rolled it over to the hedge side of the path, the horse turned his attention to the bread and we dashed by it, Gods truth, I suppose that’s what they call using your loaf.

Noah Rivets? I don’t think rivets were out in them days Spitty, they used dowels, how about Mr and Mrs Noah McDowell and all the little chiselers?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top