Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 03:50 AM

Do you read ebooks?

As an author, who these days publishes only ebook, I wonder how many people still will not read an ebook. They are a lot cheaper to produce and the retail price is, therefore, a lot less. I just wonder how you feel about them compared to those printed on paper. If a friend recommended a book to you, and it was only in digital format, would you still purchase it or not?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 04:18 AM

Re: Do you read ebooks?

Originally Posted by Sage ->
As an author, who these days publishes only ebook, I wonder how many people still will not read an ebook. They are a lot cheaper to produce and the retail price is, therefore, a lot less. I just wonder how you feel about them compared to those printed on paper. If a friend recommended a book to you, and it was only in digital format, would you still purchase it or not?
I wouldn't actually, Sage. For the same reason I don't own a Kindle.
I like the "feel" of a hardbook book, turning the pages, the photograph plates in the centre and they look nice in a library.
You don't get that with cyberspace - it's read and then gone. Same with music and movies. I like a physical object I can keep. I don't wish my life to be completely taken over by the internet and robots. We all need real things and the human touch.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Me too, I love going to a library or bookshop usually Bookbarn where they sell secondhand book and smells amazing!
I like holding a real book and turning pages, knowing your bookmark is there to keep your place.
Their also easier to hold than devices for my hands.
Besides you can't trust electronic "books" not to go wrong and lose stuff!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I wouldn't actually, Sage. For the same reason I don't own a Kindle.
I like the "feel" of a hardbook book, turning the pages, the photograph plates in the centre and they look nice in a library.
You don't get that with cyberspace - it's read and then gone. Same with music and movies. I like a physical object I can keep. I don't wish my life to be completely taken over by the internet and robots. We all need real things and the human touch.
This (BiB) sums it up for me also.....I cant say id never read from my kindle app on tablet but its just used as a last resort when "real" books arnt available ..(which isnt often) usually if im on the move and its not practical to carry books about.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
No - I prefer reading proper books. A friend loaned me her kindle for week-end a while ago - but it was just not the same.
Nothing nicer than curling up on the sofa by the fire with a glass of good red, a gently purring cat, and an enthralling book !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
i wouldn't actually, sage. For the same reason i don't own a kindle.
You don't get that with cyberspace - it's read and then gone. Same with music and movies. I like a physical object i can keep. I don't wish my life to be completely taken over by the internet and robots. We all need real things and the human touch.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:15 AM

I've never bothered with ebooks ... I don't buy books, I borrow from libraries. It would be different if I was out in the sticks.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:38 AM

I prefer proper books but I read both.

A kindle is great for stashing masses of books on a small device. They're not always that much cheaper though ... more famous authors often set their e-book prices quite high, leaving folk preferring to have a solid copy in their hand, forever.

Having said that I read a load of fan fiction which is only available on e-book (some of it's rather good if you avoid the slash)... I'm a sucker for that, but consider it disposable, throwaway literature whilst my favourite works, mainly reference, have to be sitting on my shelf as a bound book.
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

03-09-2018, 01:38 PM

At home, always real books. When travelling, always my Kindle.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Tell you what I do like with e-books ...aside from been able to enlarge the font size, if you download the Kindle app onto your PC you can add notes and highlights and bookmarks to it. Great fun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top