Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Major power failure affecting trains and airports

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49300025

Power operators for the South East, Midlands, South West and Wales said there was a "major incident" affecting electricity.

UK Power Networks said the issue was caused by a "failure on National Grid's network".

Transport for London said the drop in power is affecting traffic lights, while many trains have been delayed.

Blackouts have also been reported in the North East.

Network Rail said all trains had been stopped after a "power surge on the National Grid" but its signalling system has come back online.
Blimey .....

We've had thunderstorms and torrential rain locally but the power is still on .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 06:23 PM

Re: Major power failure affecting trains and airports

Sounds serious Omah particularly with regards to trains and traffic lights and at the worst time Friday afternoon as people are heading home.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Sounds serious Omah particularly with regards to trains and traffic lights and at the worst time Friday afternoon as people are heading home.
Its what we call sods law Meg!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 06:59 PM

National Grid said it was caused by issues with two power generators but the problem was now resolved.

Getting the trains and planes sorted out is going to take some doing .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:27 PM

This is the time of year when maintenance work together with modifications and rearrangements take place because of limits of demand on the system.

The system is in deep do do and on the brink of catastrophic breakdown and power outages so what with the extra load of a rapidly number of electric vehicles on top of everything else this really should be a wake up call across the power generation and distribution system otherwise come later in the year, especially if the interconnector to Europe is unavailable -----

Better buy some candles while they're still to be had not to mention bottled water and maybe a calor gas heater and camping stove plus a few days worth of canned food

After all, have a few days supply and be thought a twat, or don't but then need them and demonstrate that you ARE a twat.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Better buy some candles while they're still to be had not to mention bottled water and maybe a calor gas heater and camping stove plus a few days worth of canned food

After all, have a few days supply and be thought a twat, or don't but then need them and demonstrate that you ARE a twat.
Thanks. Already have long term food store well sorted and water filter available. I can last many months if need be, no problem and crucially, for me, it would be great fun making good use of all that stuff whereas the rest of the population will be desperate abd panicking. I'll be able to make my neighbours wonderful fresh bread, sourdoughs, focaccia's good quality stuff, a real treat.

Peace of mind and having everything in place is half the battle to surviving.

I take this stuff seriously, as should everyone.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:46 PM

This morning, on the spur of the moment, l nearly went on the train to London to surprise my daughter.
It’s a good job, l didn’t!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Thanks. Already have long term food store well sorted and water filter available. I can last many months if need be, no problem and crucially, for me, it would be great fun making good use of all that stuff whereas the rest of the population will be desperate abd panicking. I'll be able to make my neighbours wonderful fresh bread, sourdoughs, focaccia's good quality stuff, a real treat.
Once one of the neighbours (accidentally) reveals that you're stocked up then it will only be a matter of time until the villains make you a prime target .....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
This is the time of year when maintenance work together with modifications and rearrangements take place because of limits of demand on the system.

The system is in deep do do and on the brink of catastrophic breakdown and power outages so what with the extra load of a rapidly number of electric vehicles on top of everything else this really should be a wake up call across the power generation and distribution system otherwise come later in the year, especially if the interconnector to Europe is unavailable -----

It will take me back to the air raid shelter era Todgy!
Candlelight food rationing, danger, all the ingredients for a
happy childhood??

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

09-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Peace of mind and having everything in place is half the battle to surviving.

I take this stuff seriously, as should everyone.
Do you wear a belt AND braces Realist???

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top