Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Re: Pigs

Originally Posted by basser ->
Do you have any reservations about hacking off a lump of Beef for a roast or a leg of lamb, a chicken leg, breast of Turkey,
a fillet of Cod or Bass, or a nice ham sandwich, I have no reservation at all in eating any of the afore mentioned what was good enough for my ancestors is good enough for me
I don't think your ancestors had the option of all the alternatives to animals that we have today.
I certainly couldn't be responsible for the demise of any living being's life to satisfy my taste buds when there are so many other delicious foods to eat.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Nothing like a bacon butty with a dollop of tomato ketchup on brown bread for breakfast...

I like proper roast pork, with succulent crackling. I buy my pork from a butcher that rear their own pigs, free range. They are well fed, well cared for and slaughtered at a small, independent abattoir, not a huge conveyor belt type. The pigs have a good life, and the meat is so much better for that.

I refuse to be made to feel guilty by those who choose not to eat meat - I respect their choice, even though I do not share it, and ergo I expect them to respect mine.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Katerina well said, pork with apple sauce this Sunday me thinks.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

15-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Katerina well said, pork with apple sauce this Sunday me thinks.
Enjoy basser.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 07:00 AM

I don’t usually post anything from certain sites as they are too distressing .
But here is the video of the poor pig going to slaughter that made me and 8 Million others decide not to east pork ever again .
It’s not gruesome just terribly sad .
The girl who filmed it Claire Buchanan showed great compassion trying to comfort this terrified animal .
But sadly they could do nothing it was just a another pig walking to slaughter.

https://www.peta.org/blog/video-meat...ear-off-bacon/

There is no kind way to kill an pig unless you shoot it in the brain.
The pig is such an intelligent sensitive animal it’s knows what is going to happen to it .
This makes it notoriously difficult to handle in a slaughterhouse as they scream and try desperately to escape .
Slaughterhouse staff use electric prods inorder to make the animals go forward .
They are supposed to be stunned by electric tongs to the head but to put them on a terrified moving animal is not easy and frequently the pig recovers concienceness before slaughter .
Slaughterhouse staff are generally paid by how many animals they kill so they are always in a hurry .
By their very job they become hardened to the pain and suffering of these animals .
We are scandalised by the terrible treatment of dogs in the dog meat markets of Korea and other Far East countries .

Yet pigs a sentient feeling creature more intelligent than dogs are treated inhumanly on a daily basis .

Its so wrong.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 09:33 AM

And, in the interests of fairness and balance, for the other side -

Here is how I get nice crunchy crackling on roast pork

Make sure your joint is nice and dry - keep it unwrapped in the fridge and take it out an hour or so before you want to use it.

Make sure the skin is well scored.

Grind some sea salt over all the skin and massage it in.

Put into a hot oven - 200C - for 25 minutes, then turn down the temperature and roast as normal.

Works every time - but if the crackling is not crackling enough, cut it off in one piece and put it under the grill for a few minutes
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don’t usually post anything from certain sites as they are too distressing .
But here is the video of the poor pig going to slaughter that made me and 8 Million others decide not to east pork ever again .
It’s not gruesome just terribly sad .
The girl who filmed it Claire Buchanan showed great compassion trying to comfort this terrified animal .
But sadly they could do nothing it was just a another pig walking to slaughter.

https://www.peta.org/blog/video-meat...ear-off-bacon/

There is no kind way to kill an pig unless you shoot it in the brain.
The pig is such an intelligent sensitive animal it’s knows what is going to happen to it .
This makes it notoriously difficult to handle in a slaughterhouse as they scream and try desperately to escape .
Slaughterhouse staff use electric prods inorder to make the animals go forward .
They are supposed to be stunned by electric tongs to the head but to put them on a terrified moving animal is not easy and frequently the pig recovers concienceness before slaughter .
Slaughterhouse staff are generally paid by how many animals they kill so they are always in a hurry .
By their very job they become hardened to the pain and suffering of these animals .
We are scandalised by the terrible treatment of dogs in the dog meat markets of Korea and other Far East countries .

Yet pigs a sentient feeling creature more intelligent than dogs are treated inhumanly on a daily basis .

Its so wrong.
I agree muds, I hope one day the slaughter of these intelligent creatures ceases to be.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I agree muds, I hope one day the slaughter of these intelligent creatures ceases to be.
Likewise LQ, I haven’t eaten pork for years
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Likewise LQ, I haven’t eaten pork for years
I don't eat it either, in fact I don't eat meat except the odd chicken breast, I'm thinking of giving that up too.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Muddy - you clearly have strong feelings about this (and I have no problem with that even though I do not share them) - why mention only pigs, are your feelings different towards cows, sheep, chickens, deer? If so, why is that? Not so funny or cute?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top