Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:41 AM

Forgotten your Windows Password?

Very occasionally I hear people complain that they have forgotten the password to their computer and had to pay a computer shop to recover it. There are commercial programs which can recover the password however Windows has a built in method of overcoming this BUT you need to take action before you forget the password. Many seem unaware of it because it is hidden in plain sight.

Control Panel > User Accounts > Create Password Reset Disk

From then on just follow the prompts

This reset disk will allow you to reset your forgotten Admin Password no matter how many times you have changed it or forgotten it.

Personally I used an old SD Card to store the created 2kb file and store it in my safe. For me it will enable my children to get access to my computer in the event of my demise.

Danger Will Robinson!

Creating this disk will enable anyone who has it access to your computer no matter how many times you have changed the password.

Good explanation here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...isk-windows-10

I found the use of the reset file very non intuitive after I had created the 'disk' but once you know how to do it it is actually really easy:

• Make sure the SD/USB reset disk is plugged into your computer before you start.
  • Attempt to log in as normal and fail (which is why you created this disk in the first place).
  • Click OK on the notice which says your password was incorrect.
  • You will be returned to your log in screen except that now "reset Password" will appear below the Password entry box.
  • Click on reset password and follow the prompts.

I should say that I have never forgotten my password thus far and that the password doesn't actually protect your data - you can access it at DOS level - but it does make it a little harder for the casual snooper.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top