Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:47 AM

The age of a dog?

This week they published some new research about dog ages relative to human age.

Do you think it's true that dogs age so fast? I think it's maybe a labrador thing. Teddy is still full of beans and in his tenth year. He's only just slowing down. Do you think the seven years to 1 human year is true? How do your dogs fare?

https://www.newscientist.com/article...s-new-formula/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:56 AM

Re: The age of a dog?

Hi

Yes, I saw that as well Annie.

Fascinating.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 01:02 AM

How interesting! I am running a nursing home it seems. Ranger in his late forties, Pearl in her late sixties, and Meg and Becky their seventies.

All I know is that they age and are gone far too quickly.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 01:29 AM

15 months ago we lost our Labrador/cattle cross Toby after 12 1/2 wonderful fun filled years. Even though we now have another lovable rascal, Tex (1 and 1/2 years..He's a teenager) we still miss Toby every day. When he died the vet told us he was around 85 years old in human terms so I guess he had a pretty good innings. I think the 1 to 7 years ratio is roughly correct but I think little dogs live longer then big ones generally. I have seen Australian silky terriers and little white fluffy dogs of various kind living to 16 and 17 years. While Great Danes, some Alsatians and other large breeds don't make it past 8 or 9 years sometimes. Don't know why.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 01:32 AM

The seven years to one of ours is an old fallacy, and doesn't work quite like that.

Also, assuming normal good health, usually the bigger and heavier the dog, the shorter the life span.
That chart doesn't appear to take weight into the equation?
Very obese dogs can also age more quickly than normal weight animals, as can some pedigree breeds.

I will try and print the chart I go by tomorrow, as it is a bit too late tonight. It goes by ages and weights from under 15lb (7kg) dogs - up to 100lbs + (46 kg). It all makes a difference.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 10:09 AM

I just looked at the link Annie posted and I have to say that that puts my dog at around the same age as me.

That's a bit of an eye opener as I thought she was much "younger".

This year she's had various health issues, the worst being arthritis. I was worried that she was young to have it but if she's really my age then I can understand it as I have it too.

We're just a matching pair of old farts

As for bigger dogs having a shorter lifespan, I always thought that was because the bigger dogs have a higher metabolism which uses more energy and puts a bigger strain on the organs which in turn wear out faster.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The seven years to one of ours is an old fallacy, and doesn't work quite like that.

Also, assuming normal good health, usually the bigger and heavier the dog, the shorter the life span.
That chart doesn't appear to take weight into the equation?
Very obese dogs can also age more quickly than normal weight animals, as can some pedigree breeds.

I will try and print the chart I go by tomorrow, as it is a bit too late tonight. It goes by ages and weights from under 15lb (7kg) dogs - up to 100lbs + (46 kg). It all makes a difference.
Our vets has a chart on the wall which as you say, takes into account the dogs weight and breed size as well as their age.

It used to really bother me when we had to leave the cats in a cattery for a week because I always imagined that to them, it was more like six months. we don't leave them any more.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:14 PM

This is interesting . My two cavalier king Charles lived to 16.5 years so they would have been over a hundred. Wasnt I lucky . Sadly both had to be helped to die at the end as they were struggling. Such lovely companions .

May I add something here please .

When Queenie had her pups , 4 healthy babies obviously they stayed with me until over 12 weeks when time came for their forever homes . I was told dogs cant count and queenie would be ok as long as we kept one . Each puppy we waved off with tears in our eyes we expected queenie to be upset but she seemed fine and went indoors to sniff those left . Eventually we were left with one ( Lady) and Queenie didnt appear to be worried . They were both loved for 16 and a half years

So is it true dogs cant count?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:33 PM

My cat was 20 when she died, the vet told me that was equivalent to 96 human years.

I’m not sure how that compares with a dogs age.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My cat was 20 when she died, the vet told me that was equivalent to 96 human years.

I’m not sure how that compares with a dogs age

Here you go Mags, see if this is any help.

https://www.purina.co.uk/cats/key-li...in-human-years

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top