Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Olympus XD to SD card reader.

As the title, I am trying to find one of these without success. They are plenty of SD to XD readers (on eBay) but I can’t track one of what I need.
Has anyone seen one.
What I want to do is to be able to load pics from my Olympus to my iPad. I have a suitable SD reader to do this, so with an adapter, I could do this.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Re: Olympus XD to SD card reader.

Any SD/MMC/XD card to USB adapter should work
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:36 AM

I don't know either of the devices you mention, unfortunately. My downloading is from a Sony 'point-and-shoot' and a Canon camera to a MacBook Pro, one without the usual SD slot now as that's no longer a feature. I have had to get adaptors as the USB slots are now USB 3 rather than the previous USB 2. Adaptors for most things are available at places like Curry's or similar or online. Apple adaptors are, like most Apple products, expensive but are available elsewhere very much cheaper.

However, on just having a quick search there appears to be a lot of information about downloading to iPads from Olympus cameras. One of those can be found on the link below if it's of any use to you:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ip...d-pro-3690988/

Apple also have a very helpful support website, I've used it many times and found the information given is invaluable:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202037
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Thanks for your replies guys. But my iPad is not the new pro, and does not have a micro USB slot.
I have in the past bought card readers for the iPad but they did not work until I bought a more expensive one from Apple, but it only takes SD cards.
Also with my Canon, I can connect via WIFI to the iPad.
All morning I have been thinking of alternative ways to transfer the pics from the Olympus to the iPad.
I could connect the Olympus to my laptop via a usb cable, download pics to a folder. Then put a SD card into the laptop and transfer pics to the SD card.
Or maybe transfer pics from from Olympus straight to the SD card. Via the laptop.
It would be much easier with a card adapter.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 09:03 PM

If your laptop is a Mac then you could download the photos to that then they would be on iCloud if you had that option indicated, then could could download them direct from iCloud to your iPad.

I was in PC World / Currys today and they have all the Apple adapters plus many others with various combinations. If you called in there, explained what you wish to achieve then they would I am sure direct you to what you need.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

27-11-2019, 09:33 AM

No Baz it is Not a Mac, just a Asus with the normal windows.
I have already searched Curries PC world and they do not have the device that I am looking for. I have searched all the different places with out success. Even Olympus don’t do anything suitable.
I am now thinking that it is not even made.
I shall have to do what I suggested as the last resort.
Camera to laptop, download the files to SD card that will be in the laptop. SD card in iPad card reader.
Baz46

27-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
No Baz it is Not a Mac, just a Asus with the normal windows.
I have already searched Curries PC world and they do not have the device that I am looking for. I have searched all the different places with out success. Even Olympus don’t do anything suitable.
I am now thinking that it is not even made.
I shall have to do what I suggested as the last resort.
Camera to laptop, download the files to SD card that will be in the laptop. SD card in iPad card reader.
It was just a thought Emjay, it does seem as if your suggestion as a last resort will be exactly that. I couldn't believe the number of adaptors there were at Curry's, they seemed to have one for anything. I was offered one that could be used for USB2, USB3, HDMI, SD card reader etc., etc. The price though was a little much at, I think it was £59, and that was not Apple either. In the end I found the one I wanted at £16. This could have been found a little cheaper online but after wasting days looking here, there and everywhere I had to get things sorted so opted for that one.

Technology just gets more complicated with now what seems another way of getting our cash, requiring us to buy adaptors! Best of luck with what you seek to achieve.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

27-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Baz. I went online to curries and they do a card reader that includes a XD. one is a usb and another is iPad iPhone fittings.
Yes the price difference is £9.99 for the USB and £30 for the iPad one. Went to Curry’s but not in stock. So could order on line. I could get the USB one as I have an adapter converter for iPad fitting.
Baz46

27-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Baz. I went online to curries and they do a card reader that includes a XD. one is a usb and another is iPad iPhone fittings.
Yes the price difference is £9.99 for the USB and £30 for the iPad one. Went to Curry’s but not in stock. So could order on line. I could get the USB one as I have an adapter converter for iPad fitting.
It's all getting to be so very complicated now isn't it. My Mac laptop was ten years' old and had served me well. No problems in all those years either. I decided to treat myself to a new one, very nice and very fast. First 'problem' was the USB ports were USB3, so smaller than the old one's USB2 port. Next there was no SD card reader and then of course there was no CD drive either. The way round these 'problems' is to buy adapters and use the old CD drive if needed. To me all that seems to be going backwards, but there is no choice unfortunately.

Onwards and upwards, as the saying goes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. But my iPad is not the new pro, and does not have a micro USB slot.
I have in the past bought card readers for the iPad but they did not work until I bought a more expensive one from Apple, but it only takes SD cards.
Also with my Canon, I can connect via WIFI to the iPad.
All morning I have been thinking of alternative ways to transfer the pics from the Olympus to the iPad.
I could connect the Olympus to my laptop via a usb cable, download pics to a folder. Then put a SD card into the laptop and transfer pics to the SD card.
Or maybe transfer pics from from Olympus straight to the SD card. Via the laptop.
It would be much easier with a card adapter.
That's what I was thinking. takes a bit longer but it would give you a back up folder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top