Join for free
Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:23 PM

Re: Boris Johnson resigns.

Trading is a 2-way process. You don't establish a trade deal by being forced to use the rules of just one side.

If the EU want to trade with the UK, then we should establish OUR trading standards which THEY would have to adhere to.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Trading is a 2-way process. You don't establish a trade deal by being forced to use the rules of just one side.

If the EU want to trade with the UK, then we should establish OUR trading standards which THEY would have to adhere to.
We already adhere to their trading standards so THEIR standards are OUR standards. This is a non issue for negotiations. Harmonisation of standards is not a bad thing. Yes the US have different standards but that is not a reason to align ourselves to them instead of our biggest trading partner. Do we want to move from being in the EU to being a colony of the USA?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Agreed.

I have said many times that if they impose punitive tariffs on us, we should impose punitive tariffs on them.

Why do so many people seem to think that after our independence we shall still be reliant on the EU?

The world will be our lobster.

(Yes, intentional misquote!)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:36 PM

Hi

There is nothing at all to stop us doing that.

There are many agreed International Standards for various goods, standardisation keeps costs down.

They are International , not EU Standards.

Tyres and windscreen glass are examples.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:45 PM

A lot of standards for specific goods are EU wide. Particularly for medicines and food safety. Why would we want to move away from that? Standardisation just makes sense. They are also used as barriers to entry for foreign competitors. There is a competitive benefit in having some protection from just anyone coming in and taking over.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-07-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Agreed.

I have said many times that if they impose punitive tariffs on us, we should impose punitive tariffs on them.

Why do so many people seem to think that after our independence we shall still be reliant on the EU?

In fact we will be at a strong negotiating disadvantage if we do not align with the EU. Every country will know how desperate we are. Trading tit for tat is what Trump is playing with China and it's not going well. These things never work out well for anyone. Based on what I've seen we don't have many decent negotiators in the UK. I'm surprised we ever make any good deals with the international community. Our negotiators are usually half asleep and you snooze you lose is the name of the game.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Agreed.

Hi

If we leave with No Deal, the Tariffs are set by the WTO, they will be the same on both sides.

They only way they can be increased is by using the Anti Dumping provisions, which is what Trump is doing.

Because the EU has a huge trade surplus with the UK in respect of Goods and Agricultural, the UK will be better off to the tune of around £6 billion a year according to which economist you believe.

The downside is that because services are not included in WTO Rules, we lose more than that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
In fact we will be at a strong negotiating disadvantage if we do not align with the EU. Every country will know how desperate we are. Trading tit for tat is what Trump is playing with China and it's not going well. These things never work out well for anyone. Based on what I've seen we don't have many decent negotiators in the UK. I'm surprised we ever make any good deals with the international community. Our negotiators are usually half asleep and you snooze you lose is the name of the game.
Hmmm. Funny how several countries have already indicated their wish to trade with us, isn't it?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 11:09 PM

It's a conspiracy I tell you...........a conspiracy.

Let's bring back imperial measurements, feet and inches, it was good enough for my grandfathers it's good enough for me.

Green for earth ?
Red for live ?
Sod that...............who do those dictators think they are ?

Fire proof furniture is for pansy continental surrender monkies.

Metric threads, probable a kraut car manufacturer's scheme for world domination......they tried it before you know ?

I am being silly ?.................You started it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-07-2018, 11:24 PM

Of course metric is nothing to do with the EU. We planned to adopt the system prior to joining.

Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top