Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Re: If

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I would say 'Dumbing down' as in 'deliberate diminishing of the intellectual level' is never a good solution to anything, better to strive to attain the highest standards
Would you agree that information and learning should be tailored to the intellectual level of the audience. What I mean is it is no good "blinding folks with too much information" if they are not intellectually able to cope with it or have not yet reached the stage where they can fully appreciate what is being conveyed. That could well have the effect of creating confusion or ignoring the information provided. Sometimes, when done for a sound reason maybe "dumbing down" of some things is not a bad thing if it means the basics of the message comes across. The child has to learn how to walk before it can run and horses for courses sort of idea. Or put another way if there is no electricity in the house what is the point of providing an electric cooker.

PS I don't mean this to sound disparaging in any way at all - I just think maybe the way information is important and should be tailored to suit the individual or audience it is aimed at - and this can work both ways.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Would you agree that information and learning should be tailored to the intellectual level of the audience. What I mean is it is no good "blinding folks with too much information" if they are not intellectually able to cope with it or have not yet reached the stage where they can fully appreciate what is being conveyed. That could well have the effect of creating confusion or ignoring the information provided. Sometimes, when done for a sound reason maybe "dumbing down" of some things is not a bad thing if it means the basics of the message comes across. The child has to learn how to walk before it can run and horses for courses sort of idea. Or put another way if there is no electricity in the house what is the point of providing an electric cooker.

PS I don't mean this to sound disparaging in any way at all - I just think maybe the way information is important and should be tailored to suit the individual or audience it is aimed at - and this can work both ways.

Yes Rena darlin' but in the case of the BBC, they can (and have) go too far and appear to be 'teaching grandma to suck eggs' and seem patronising.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Rena darlin' but in the case of the BBC, they can (and have) go too far and appear to be 'teaching grandma to suck eggs' and seem patronising.
Perhaps to you Uncle Joe, but they have to capture the interest of everybody and they cater for the whole mixed population. I don't think the BBC do too badly really - and if interested people will investigate further using a variety of sources if they want more in depth information and understanding of an issue.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Hi Rena
Would you agree that information and learning should be tailored to the intellectual level of the audience.
If you know your audience the information given can be pitched at a level to suit them .

What I mean is it is no good "blinding folks with too much information" if they are not intellectually able to cope with it
I would agree with that that to some extent . However I would say that is not quite the same as 'a deliberate diminishing of the intellectual level' which to me indicates a lowering of standards to cater to the lowest common denominator instead of trying to stretch people a little.

I have never think of myself as being intelligent. What I lack in intelligence I hope I make up for in some measure with common sense and the use of logic.
I would not like to think because of this people were deliberately 'dumbing things down' for my benefit.
Sometimes it is possible to give complicated information to the 'intellectually challenged' like me with the use of language and cutting information into bite sizes pieces without 'dumbing it down' .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Sometimes, when done for a sound reason maybe "dumbing down" of some things is not a bad thing if it means the basics of the message comes across.

I found this out when I was teaching: one method of teaching doesn't suit everyone and for those who don't get it first time around, it's best to change teaching tactics and explain to that group again until you find the right method that means something to them - it's a lovely feeling when you see the penny drop when someone gets what you're telling them

As you say: it's horses for courses - we all come at things from different angles. The route taken isn't that important just as long as the 'destination' is reached.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

16-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Rena

If you know your audience the information given can be pitched at a level to suit them.

That's exactly what I am trying to say Meg.

I would agree with that that to some extent . However I would say that is not quite the same as 'a deliberate diminishing of the intellectual level' which to me indicates a lowering of standards to cater to the lowest common denominator instead of trying to stretch people a little.

I understand what you mean Meg, but when there is a wide audience I think it is sensible to pitch for the middle road intellectually, not necessarily the lowest common denominator then the majority will get an understanding. Sifting and sorting always seems to go on naturally in many areas and, as I said to Uncle Joe, if people understand the gist and have their interest aroused, they generally want to know more and in further detail so they themselves (if given the opportunity) take things up to the next level and onwards as far as they want to go within their capabiities.

I have never though of myself a being intelligent. What I lack in intelligence I hope I make up for in some measure with common sense and the use of logic.
I would not like to think because of this people were deliberately 'dumbing things down' for my benefit.
Sometimes it is possible to give complicated information to the 'intellectually challenged' like me with the use of language and cutting information into bite sizes pieces without 'dumbing it down' .

Neither am I particularly intelligent Meg and I doubt people would deliberately dumb things down for your benefit. You are not intellectually challenged at all and I agree common sense and logic are very powerful and useful attributes to have. I think very few people would be able to understand a lot of things if given the whole subject to swallow in one go. If something seems too big and complicated many people will quickly lose interest. To provide an overview of something is a bit different from "dumbing down" I think and then small bite sized pieces in sections can be absorbed more easily.

........ I wish I could get the idea of this "quoting" and piecing bits of replies to posts together properly - but I have never got to grips with it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Karen and Rena I would agree with both...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 12:47 PM

The problem for me is when people go on and on with their explanation....
I just shut down ... To be concise and to the point 'early on' is the way to get my attention and - if the point could be said in an 'interesting' manner too ....
Teachers are a good example of this, the more interesting and engaging the better, the same with presenters, if they are dull - I switch off ....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 07:30 PM

I think it works both ways. I agree that communicators should not deliberately (and patronisingly) "dumb down" the things they say. On the other hand, people should not expect that they should be able to understand everything without a bit of work. Nothing in life is free and that goes for education as much as anything - all the brilliant teaching in the world will fall on stony ground unless the person being taught makes an effort to actively learn.
In the 19th Century, ordinary working class people would pack theatres to hear Charles Dickens read his novels aloud. They would also queue outside bookshops to buy the latest serialised installment of his books. Were they better educated? Of course not, just readier to put in the work necessary to understand and learn. Those people really valued the education they were able to get - nowadays people take it for granted and don't value it at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top