Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Discrimination or not?

I was intrigued after spotting this small article in the DM today and wonder what other's views are with regard to the following.......

The owners of the only Welsh pub in New York have been fined $2,500 (£1,600) for race discrimination after trying to hire staff with a "knowledge of British culture".
American-born Jennifer Colbert and her Welsh ex-pat husband Michael were hauled before the city's human rights commission and must have anti-discrimination training.
The job advert for the Longbow, in Brooklyn, stated "Being British definitely works in your favour, being an ex-pat or lived in the UK, also a plus."
Mrs CDolbert said "We're introducing everybody to Welsh culture and telling them all about Wales. So it is imperative that our staff understand British culture".
A commission spokesman said "she is expressing a preference for one group of people over another".
UNQUOTE

Now I can see where it doesn't seem right to say "Being British definitely works in your favour", but come on, surely a quiet word of advice in their ear to say that they couldn't word it the way they did would have been more sensible. But then again, we are talking about the Human Rights Commision!! Why on earth fine them? Is this the norm in the US?. So basically what they are saying is that anyone must be allowed to apply for the job, even though unless they are British, Welsh, Ex-Pat or know all about British culture they are in danger of a complete waste of their time, effort and money by travelling to a job that they must know they haven't a hope in hell of ever getting?
Can someone please enlighten me?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Re: Discrimination or not?

Can't they be trained in "British Culture"?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Trouble is and I can't see how they can stop it is people will comply and word things correctly but nothing will stop anyone hiring exactly who they wish to hire.

So it seems odd not to just let people ask for applicants they will consider for a job - would save a lot of people applying who have no chance too.

Looking for work myself at the moment if they were honest at the outset - no overweight over 50 year olds I would not be spending on stamps and going for interviews I have no chance of getting.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Agree with both of you. I notice many Polish businesses stating that the position is only available to those who are able to speak fluent Polish? Isn't this a form of discrimination as it is a roundabout way of asking for only Polish applicants?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

22-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Can't they be trained in "British Culture"?
Twiz - yes I am sure people could be taught British Culture, but it would take a very very long time to teach someone and why employ someone who needs to be taught the very subject that the employer wishes them to be very knowledgable about as a stipulation for the position? It doesn't make sense.
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 05:36 PM

For what its worth my take on this is that they were looking to recruit staff to work in there "Welsh Pub" that would be able to give the atmosphere of a traditional Welsh pub so Welsh/British would be the best to create that sort of atmosphere. If I went to a German beer bar here in the Uk I would expect it to be staffed by Germans as I would be going there for the atmosphere that I saw when I visited bars as the Drosselgasse in Ruedsheim Germany. Not quite the same is it "have a nice day" and "enjoy". Don't think I will be visiting that bar then.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Agree with both of you. I notice many Polish businesses stating that the position is only available to those who are able to speak fluent Polish? Isn't this a form of discrimination as it is a roundabout way of asking for only Polish applicants?
But depending on the business and the people it deals with, it may be necessary to converse in Polish. I don't think it is discrimination. A lot of jobs require the ability to speak a given language.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
But depending on the business and the people it deals with, it may be necessary to converse in Polish. I don't think it is discrimination. A lot of jobs require the ability to speak a given language.
A lot of cleaning companies now state must speak Portuguese or polish etc, they do because they only want Portuguese or polish people, no problem if we could all state only English speakers but we would be leapt upon for even suggesting that.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 07:21 PM

They could always just not get back to those they don't want, my daughter gets this all the time!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Good publicity tho', wonder how many 'suitable' applicants emailed them enquiring about the position ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top