Join for free
Page 105 of 370 « First < 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

LOLOL!! Love that t-shirt! Surfermom could always cut it out and use it as a sticker....

Don't worry about sounding 'pedestrian' about your running in here, Bob. It's always good to read your posts, whatever you get up to during your adventures

Sorry to hear about Mrs. G. Fox, Bob and her knee trouble. No, we haven't been rubbing our knees together in some primitive exotic dance, but it sounds similar to my niggle, so tell her to keep an eye on things. And yes, x-rays are a waste of time...well, they were with mine anyway. I'm just keeping them moderately exercised and (touching lots of wood around here) it seems to be working.

Missed the gym today, simply couldn't be bothered - which goes against what I have just said about my knees I know! - but I do walk around all night at work, so it's not as if I'm inactive in any way (except when I'm rabbiting on here, mind).
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes it does Surfermom, I've had one made up for you.......Send me

your address and I'll pop it in the post.....

Oh, that will go a long way in endearing OFFers...and me...to the running community here.

Thanks for your...um...."artwork" nonetheless.

I'll wear it when you do.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 11:15 AM

Just completed a three mile run 'Flat Out' and trust me.....it was flat out.....even as I staggered up the drive looking for something to hold on to I realised that yes....I was....am....FLAT OUT.....I think it's going to be a regular addition to my running schedule because you never really get chance to run as hard as that on anything longer, and now that I've showered and had my breakfast I can't believe how good I feel. Sometimes long runs take all your energy away for the rest of the day, but it's surprising how fast you return to normal after a short high intensity run. It takes me back to the time I was doing interval work round the track at the local running club.....

I've just decided that I'm going back to parchment! well paper to be precise. There are some things that are lost in the endless caverns of a computer, never to see the light of day again, and you forget what's there. So I shall record facts, figures and statistics in an easy to pick up and read journal. I shall still carry on recording running data on the computer, but some interesting facts will now be available in print.....or drawings if I'm feeling really artistic......

Glad you liked the Tee shirt Surfermom, when you eventually get round to doing the 10K look out for the bloke in that shirt.......It might be me!!!!!!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 05:01 PM

Very cool that you are still writing pen to paper OGF. Your accounts are exceptionally well-written, and your daughter and grandchildren (I think I have that right) will treasure both. My dad kept a journal while he was in the navy and it's such a treat to sit down and curl up and read it. It also get's him talking about his adventures, like months in Antarctica, which is great fun.

While you have been up, out, and back again, Mother Nature and I haven't met yet and it's blowing a gale out there. I have literally been laughed at trying to run head on into winds like this, apparently looking more like a kite than a runner. No matter, a kite has to do what a kite has to do.

It's not a bad thing to miss the gym Floydy, but why is it so hard mentally not to get through a workout or run? Strange, isn't it.

With that, I am off to dig out whatever aerodynamic gear I have (do I have something wedge-shaped around here to put in front of me?) and face winds that would part the Red Sea.

As brilliantly observed elsewhere, TGIF! I hope it is a fine one for everyone.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 04:41 PM

The reason we sometimes tend to give up during a workout (or a run) is because we either (a) needed more rest, or (b) we are not motivated enough at that particular given time. In most cases, this only serves to create a better workout next time as it then plays on our minds and we hate giving up.

Talking of motivation, the above scenario must have happened to me today. While Bob was off like the clappers on some high intensity sprints, and Surfermom trying to stay on the ground in those Florida gales, I put in a stormer of a full body session, making up for lost time during the week.

Saturday, 3 Feb 18
DB press, incline bench:
8x22, 8x22, 8x22, 6x24, 6x26, 6x28

Bench press:
10x60, 10x60, 10x60, 12x50

Shoulder press:
6x50, 6x60, 6x70

Tricep extensions:
12x40, 12x50, 12x60, 20x35, 20x35, 20x35

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
12x40, 12x50, 8x60

DB hammer curl, alt.:
6x16, 6x16, 6x18

Single arm low row, alt.:
10x70, 10x80, 6x90

DB concentration curl, alt.:
6x14, 6x14, 6x14, 6x16, 6x16, 4x18

Dual bicep machine curls:
16x25 fast reps

Pec dec:
15x40, 15x45, 15x50, 15x35

E-Z bar preacher curl, low pull, close grip:
10x28, 10x33, 11x38, 20x18, 15x23

Incline leg press:
50x150

Sled press:
34x150

Ham curls, seated:
22x50
36x35

Good girls:
30x60

Bad girls:
23x60

Ab crunch:
20x45, 20x45, 20x45

Just a few extra arm pulls and pushes to round up the time:

E-Z preacher curl:
26x23, 18x23, 10x23 (all done to failure)

Tricep extensions:
27x35, 19x35, 13x35 (all done to failure)

Time: 2hrs. 05mins.

I was feeling quite exhilarated after that little lot! I really needed that shot in the arm. I’ll do a smaller workout tomorrow but Monday will be out of bounds due to a much required haircut and granddaughter school duties.

Hope the weekend is going well, folks
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Floydy;1332598]The reason we sometimes tend to give up during a workout (or a run) is because we either (a) needed more rest, or (b) we are not motivated enough at that particular given time. In most cases, this only serves to create a better workout next time as it then plays on our minds and we hate giving up.

Talking of motivation, the above scenario must have happened to me today. While Bob was off like the clappers on some high intensity sprints, and Surfermom trying to stay on the ground in those Florida gales, I put in a stormer of a full body session, making up for lost time during the week.

Sorry Floydy but I need to put you straight on 'The Rules of Training' according to OldGreyFox.........Motivation and rest have never been valid reasons why not to go for a run. There are very few reasons for not attending an early morning run.......... and these can be counted on the fingers of the missing hand of Captain Hook.....

Dissabillitating Illness:- Heart Attack, Stroke or Death...Possibly relating to myself or a loved one...On second thoughts, in the event of death to the loved one, arrangements can be made following a run.......That's about it Floydy......Well done on your training by the way......Awesome......as usual.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Concerning my running so far this year; It's been a bitch! Putting up with sub zero conditions, gale force winds, rain and sleet, puddles the size of Coniston Water and an irritated Piriformis Muscle, has produced a series of sub standard and uncomfortable runs. The only upside is that I've attended every scheduled run thus far......

So I couldn't believe it when this mornings run exceeded every expectation and produced by far the fastest and most comfortable run this year, knocking a good two minutes off previous times so far this year, and even better, still being able to walk and talk after arriving home......Always a bonus!

Although there was plenty of standing water, there was not a shard of ice in sight, and with no more than two or three vehicles encountered during my eight mile orgasm, it was a pleasure to be out. I just wonder if the short three mile speed additions to my training are paying dividends. Just like my £25 win on the premium bonds this month....If I lived nearer the sea I would be on the crest of a wave......

Watching Dr Michael Mosley (my hero) on TV this week, following some scientific studies, he has discovered that short bursts of 'High Intensity' exercise produces better or same results than long periods of moderate exercise. His main example, two twenty second bursts of eyeballs out (full power) cycling on an static exercise bike taking up no more than fifteen minutes when including five minutes of warm up/warm down time, just twice per week, strengthened muscles, lowered blood pressure and increased all round body fitness more than cycling for over an hour at moderate pace a couple of times a week.

Before all you Offers jump on your bikes and start pedaling for all you're worth.... I would suggest you read his book first......It does come with some limitations....

He also tested two groups of people lifting weights.....One group used heavy weights and worked until exhaustion, the second group used lighter weights (more reps) also to exhaustion, and the findings were that there was no difference to fitness and strength whichever way you preferred, although Floydy might have some thoughts on this......I don't think they were 'Bodybuilding' rather preventing the onset of muscle deterioration that comes with age.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-02-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Very cool that you are still writing pen to paper OGF. Your accounts are exceptionally well-written, and your daughter and grandchildren (I think I have that right) will treasure both. My dad kept a journal while he was in the navy and it's such a treat to sit down and curl up and read it. It also get's him talking about his adventures, like months in Antarctica, which is great fun.

While you have been up, out, and back again, Mother Nature and I haven't met yet and it's blowing a gale out there. I have literally been laughed at trying to run head on into winds like this, apparently looking more like a kite than a runner. No matter, a kite has to do what a kite has to do.

It's not a bad thing to miss the gym Floydy, but why is it so hard mentally not to get through a workout or run? Strange, isn't it.

With that, I am off to dig out whatever aerodynamic gear I have (do I have something wedge-shaped around here to put in front of me?) and face winds that would part the Red Sea.

As brilliantly observed elsewhere, TGIF! I hope it is a fine one for everyone.

Hope you managed to remain on Terra Firma for the duration of your run Surfermom, I always think that running into a head wind is as good a workout as running up hills. Am I right in thinking that you are as devoid of hills in Florida as we are in South Yorkshire.

Thank's for your kind remark about my written accounts Surfermom, you're not so shabby yourself, and I always look forward to reading anything you've written, not just here in the exercise thread, but I find you cropping up all over the forum, and most of the time your views seem to echo my own.

Maybe I'm wrong, but accounts, journals and statistics written on a computer are easily deleted, either by accident or otherwise. Computers are a vast cavern of memory and stuff gets lost or misplaced. Paper copies, books and files have to be (in most cases) physically destroyed which requires more effort and thought, and even with today's technology there is no better way to store information than on paper for future reference. It's worked well for the last few thousand years, but I shan't be looking for a suitable cave any time soon. It puts a whole new meaning to 'Exercise Books' that I was supplied with when at school.

PS:- Regarding your Dad's journals. My Father in Law was an avid writer and keeper of journals and accounts of his life. Sadly he passed away last year at the age of ninety, and how very interesting it has been to read the accounts of his life and the world in general throughout the last fifty years. I don't think a computer would have provided as much entertainment and wonder as his journals, especially as Mrs Fox wouldn't have had a clue how to operate and discover information left on a computer...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Hi

Just back from looking after the pretendies whilst Mum went Disco Spinning.

We had to do press ups, all 3 of us, a new game they had thought of.

Apparently the loser buys cans of Coke and crisps for the winners.

I got well caught out on that one.

I am absolutely shattered and got beat three times by the both of them.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-02-2018, 03:16 PM

Another session today but I think this may be my final post on here and in the forum for personal reasons.
Good to talk to you both. Take care of yourselves.

Page 105 of 370 « First < 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top