Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:31 AM

90 y/o driver admits causing death by dangerous driving.

He accidentally pressed the accelerator on his automatic car and hit 3 pedestrians, 2 of them died from their injuries.

Is prison the correct punishment?

In this case I don't think so.

The guilty party are the UK laws concerning older drivers.
The law should be changed, tests introduced, annual checks on alertness and reaction times etc.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....dmits-13721295
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:42 AM

Re: 90 y/o driver admits causing death by dangerous driving.

to be honest,i did that when I was in my 30s,destroyed the garage door.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 11:07 AM

IMO our laws need changing I'd say we should have mandatory eye checks from the age of 50 it's amazing how eyes sight can change over our life times.

I'd say this man shouldn't be imprisoned I can't imagine he's a danger to anyone if they take his licence away from him.

Although he may want that many want to be punished after they accidentally harm someone. I know in my own family an aunt wanted to be imprisoned after she accidentally killed my uncle, squashed in against garage door with her car. Judge in the case wouldn't do it but he said he did understand her wish to be punished.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 12:58 PM

A sad case for all concerned

I am not sure in this instance that a health check may not have made a lot of difference, it was a momentary lapse of concentration with fatal consequences.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:16 PM

A lapse in concentration can happen at any age, you don't have to be 90. It's all very sad and people have been killed but it was an accident. I'm sure the man will suffer enough in his own mind without being imprisoned.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A sad case for all concerned

I am not sure in this instance that a health check may not have made a lot of difference, it was a momentary lapse of concentration with fatal consequences.
That's true but I stand by we all need mandatory tests to make sure we are fit as we need to be to drive.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 03:19 PM

Must be my day for not been too sure about things ...

1) Blame the Law. After age 75 (maybe earlier) .. should drivers be subject to regular re-testing or more vigorous medical assessment?

2) At what age does any driver decide he himself or her herself is no longer up to it.

3) The Telegrah has it too ( I couldn't load your link Tpin)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-women-spared/
He reversed into them in a hospital car park .. how hard did he hit the accelerator to kill them? Not just run into them and break bones but kill them.

Quote:
He lost control of the Ford Focus which performed an arc at speed and hit a metal bollard.

This, the report said, induced "panic and confusion" in the defendant whose vehicle went on to collide with Ms Haslam and Ms Clifton, from Chorlton.

He has received a lifetime driving ban.
If it were my relative I have to confess I'd probably want a custodial sentence... except he has a wife of whom he is the main carer for.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A lapse in concentration can happen at any age, you don't have to be 90. It's all very sad and people have been killed but it was an accident. I'm sure the man will suffer enough in his own mind without being imprisoned.
I agree .
It would do no good at all to to inprison this old chap.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 03:38 PM

I was stopped from driving by the eye
Surgeon . So for 18 months I had to surrender my licence . Took the dvla eye test and passed. So how strict is the dvla eye check?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-11-2017, 03:43 PM

My cousin was stopped because he had a fit, had to be 12 months I think it was free of them. He was only 18 at the time and ignored that so far he's gone on to lose his licence 8 times I believe for varying amounts of time. Some people should never be allowed a licence, I know the driving test is harder now but no one is phycologically tested and that causes many problems on the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top