Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Re: 90 y/o driver admits causing death by dangerous driving.

I agree that a lack of concentration could result in you going forward or backwards but, it's his reaction to what was happening that caused the deaths.

Most people would react to it within a second without having to think about what to do.

This is definitely an age thing.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My cousin was stopped because he had a fit, had to be 12 months I think it was free of them. He was only 18 at the time and ignored that so far he's gone on to lose his licence 8 times I believe for varying amounts of time. Some people should never be allowed a licence, I know the driving test is harder now but no one is phycologically tested and that causes many problems on the road.
so how can you justify a 90 yr old who makes a mistake first time in his life,,and your cousin loses his licence 8 times and still drives,,witch one should be off the road for life?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A sad case for all concerned

I am not sure in this instance that a health check may not have made a lot of difference, it was a momentary lapse of concentration with fatal consequences.

I agree Meg.
Having eye checks etc was nothing to do with this case IMO, and would not have made a scrap of difference.

I have, just for a split second done the same thing myself, but fortunately had the quick reflexes to put it right.

I also think that it is not only eyesight should be tested.
You remember when we took our tests and we were tested on 'Emergency stops'?
I remember, after explaining what he would do, my driving insutrctor banging his clip board down on the dash and I had to stop in a flash.
It is reflexes that can save situations and lives IMO.
Even if someone still has perfect vision, it doesn't mean his/her reflexes are anywhere near safe.
THAT is what they should be tested on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I agree that a lack of concentration could result in you going forward or backwards but, it's his reaction to what was happening that caused the deaths.

Most people would react to it within a second without having to think about what to do.

This is definitely an age thing.

Exactly Tpin. This is just what I meant in my post above.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
so how can you justify a 90 yr old who makes a mistake first time in his life,,and your cousin loses his licence 8 times and still drives,,witch one should be off the road for life?
I wasn't I was answering post before mine. Conversation was moving on it looked like.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Meg.
Having eye checks etc was nothing to do with this case IMO, and would not have made a scrap of difference.

I have, just for a split second done the same thing myself, but fortunately had the quick reflexes to put it right.

I also think that it is not only eyesight should be tested.
You remember when we took our tests and we were tested on 'Emergency stops'?
I remember, after explaining what he would do, my driving insutrctor banging his clip board down on the dash and I had to stop in a flash.
It is reflexes that can save situations and lives IMO.
Even if someone still has perfect vision, it doesn't mean his/her reflexes are anywhere near safe.
THAT is what they should be tested on.
I wasn't saying it would but it is a problem for many at advanced ages.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 10:37 PM

If the driver had practice left foot braking, the accident may have been avoided, at low speed manoeuvres, of automatic cars using the left foot to brake would have stopped the car much quicker than using the right foot,

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top