Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 01:10 PM

Re: "Our Time In The EU was a calamity for Britain"

Looks like EU has managed to " keep us on the hook" again??
Today was supposed to be freedom day for UK???
I hope this is not making a precedent for the end of december??
GET BREXIT DONE Boris!!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Looks like EU has managed to " keep us on the hook" again??
Today was supposed to be freedom day for UK???
I hope this is not making a precedent for the end of december??
GET BREXIT DONE Boris!!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
I agree with your sentiment but I have voiced my views on this before, so I'm not surprised.
Saddened yes; but not surprised.

Boris & the UK can let the clock run down until the 31st December and it's then automatic WTO Brexit.
The EU are blamed then for making unreasonable demands which no nation has ever had asked of them just to get a trade deal.

So if neither wants to call it no deal first & the EU think that's some sort of a "win", they are very mistaken.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Ho hum.
A joint statement:
"

We had a useful phone call this morning. We discussed the major unresolved topics.

Our negotiating teams have been working day and night over recent days.

And despite the exhaustion after almost a year of negotiations, despite the fact that deadlines have been missed over and over we think it is responsible at this point to go the extra mile.

We have accordingly mandated our negotiators to continue the talks and to see whether an agreement can even at this late stage be reached."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...deal-live-news

In reality it means that neither side wants to be first to say no deal.
I said before that we(the UK) don't need to.
We can just let the clock run down.
Then the EU look bad for being bullies, if their current stance persists.

But how disappointing this is.

Disappointing, yes but predictable.

As long as a deal is possible then the UK must continue with the negotiations. Be interesting on Monday what happens...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Disappointing, yes but predictable.

As long as a deal is possible then the UK must continue with the negotiations. Be interesting on Monday what happens...
Yes, I agree. Disappointing.

Of course, he hasn't given away anything, and I have a feeling that he won't. Hopefully, he'll just continue to go through the motions for the final couple of weeks simply to avoid any future criticisms.
He, and they, can talk all they want for as long as they want.

As long as we are out by 1.1.21 without handing over our fisheries or any political or legal rights, I really couldn't care less.

I'd also expect our businesses and trading arrangements to be fully in place before the year end, prepared for working under WTO arrangements.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 02:13 PM

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Never be the first to leave the table, to do so will condemn you to history as the one who ended the talks.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 02:34 PM

They need to keep going as long as it takes, and as long as we leave their clutches a free country on 31st December then an agreement on future trade has to be in everyone's best interests.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 02:35 PM

There was never going to be 'no deal' announced today, neither side will want the blame for pulling the plug.

If there is a 'no deal' it will be on 31st December and we will just 'slip ' into it with both sides saying talks failed to reach a deal on both sides.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 02:40 PM

My guess is the lawyers will now pour over the legal documents looking for ways to rephrase things so it looks like neither side has given in when we get a deal the old smoke and mirrors trick .

We should have left years ago one year after the vote to leave then we would have been up and running by now
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I agree. Disappointing.

Of course, he hasn't given away anything, and I have a feeling that he won't. Hopefully, he'll just continue to go through the motions for the final couple of weeks simply to avoid any future criticisms.
He, and they, can talk all they want for as long as they want.

As long as we are out by 1.1.21 without handing over our fisheries or any political or legal rights, I really couldn't care less.

I'd also expect our businesses and trading arrangements to be fully in place before the year end, prepared for working under WTO arrangements.
I agree, but can we really trust our wonderful Civil Service to get all of the procedures, which we'll need, up, tested & running.

They've only had half a decade.

And don't raise your voice to them!

It woiuld make them resign!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top