Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Re: 'Our' Parliamentarians

Errrr Rena darlin' - why look at a country's political system more that 70 - 80 years ago, what's wrong with looking at the present circumstances???? None of the countries I mentioned in my response to Bob can be described as unstable democracies and yet all those countries abolished their monarchies and aristocracies many years ago. They continue to flourish despite they not having a monarch, I see no reason why we couldn't do likewise.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Bob you're talking crap and you know it - the examples you have given bear no relation to modern democracies. What f'r instance of Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Hungary, etc, etc, etc. All of these countries at one time (with the exception of Switzerland) had aristocracies and monarchs. All of them, by various means managed to dispose of their aristocracy and now have a modern free democratic society with an ELECTED President.
The elected heads of state I have posted are actually heads of state now so yes these are the kind modern democracies as these elected heads of state want to have.

Joe there are indeed some democracies that have reasonable elected heads but none that I would trust.

Some have indeed disposed of their Monarchs but at what cost to human life and suffering, please do not say that one lost life is worth getting rid of monarchs.

What has the Royal family done to you? How have they mis-treat you? Have they asked you for money?

I am sure that your answers have to be in the negatives so why do you want to rid this country of something that brings so much happiness to millions of people or is it that you think everyone should not be happy?

If you feel that bitter about the Monarchy then why not emigrate, Oops, I fogot, your benefits, democracies with elected heads of state do not pay out like this country does, silly me, another reason why I can not understand why you want to get rid of your purse strings.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 07:41 AM

Bob it shows what a warped sense of democracy you have when you cite the example of Syria et al at being a good example of a modern democracy.

The reason I want an elected head of state is so that 'WE' can have a choice on who that would be, and can from time to time change that head of state. If you recall Charlie stuck his oar into the political system with 'personal notes' to relevant Ministers on issues he was concerned about. Since he is NOT our Head of state (yet) his interference with political matters that do not concern him and by so doing attempting to influence a change in political matters is an affront to our democracy. If the Government are to do things in my name, I want to know that there was no unwarranted influence in that decision from some unelected, unrepresentative aristiocrat. That too equally applies to all other members of the House of Lords - I want all of them abolished!!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 08:24 AM

Errrr Rena darlin' - why look at a country's political system more that 70 - 80 years ago, what's wrong with looking at the present circumstances???? None of the countries I mentioned in my response to Bob can be described as unstable democracies and yet all those countries abolished their monarchies and aristocracies many years ago. They continue to flourish despite they not having a monarch, I see no reason why we couldn't do likewise.
I believe it is necessary to to look at the history and the circumstances surrounding how countries came to abolish their monarchies Uncle Joe. It should not be ignored and forgotten about. History has a way of repeating itself. Look at the violence and suffering inflicted and ask did it make much difference to the common herd in real terms.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Well if you want to look back at history then our own history bears examination too. Some 350 odd years ago we managed to depose our own monarch and execute him. We also subsequently deposed his son too and replaced him with his daughter and husband, so change IS possible. I just want an opportunity to elect a head of state instead of having one imposed upon us.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Bob it shows what a warped sense of democracy you have when you cite the example of Syria et al at being a good example of a modern democracy.

The reason I want an elected head of state is so that 'WE' can have a choice on who that would be, and can from time to time change that head of state. If you recall Charlie stuck his oar into the political system with 'personal notes' to relevant Ministers on issues he was concerned about. Since he is NOT our Head of state (yet) his interference with political matters that do not concern him and by so doing attempting to influence a change in political matters is an affront to our democracy. If the Government are to do things in my name, I want to know that there was no unwarranted influence in that decision from some unelected, unrepresentative aristiocrat. That too equally applies to all other members of the House of Lords - I want all of them abolished!!!
Joe, just like a Marxist or Union Official you do not read what is in front of you, you see what you want to see.
I did not cite any of the democracies as being a good example of modern democracy, read the paragraph again and I will accept your apology.

I do not recall the queen ever trying to influence politics, as for Charles, he only did what all union officials try to do all of the time. They are not our representatives in government and should keep their greedy noses out of politics.

'The Government doing things in your name' as a self confessed marxist I do not believe that you would have voted for this government so it is not your name they are doing things in, it is the name of all those who voted for them, not the oposition.

I truely think unions should be curtailed of any political powers or influences, in fact why not abolish them altogether?

Ah! your argument will be that they are trying to help the members, as I am not a member then what are they doing for me, sweet nothing so get rid of them. The monarchy does try to do things for me by bringing in trade and money to this country.

You do not say whether you have been wronged against by the monarchy or if they have demanded money from you, neither do you say whether why you want happiness taken away from the people of this country. WHY?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

07-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Joe, just like a Marxist or Union Official you do not read what is in front of you, you see what you want to see.
I did not cite any of the democracies as being a good example of modern democracy, read the paragraph again and I will accept your apology.

I do not recall the queen ever trying to influence politics, as for Charles, he only did what all union officials try to do all of the time. They are not our representatives in government and should keep their greedy noses out of politics.

'The Government doing things in your name' as a self confessed marxist I do not believe that you would have voted for this government so it is not your name they are doing things in, it is the name of all those who voted for them, not the oposition.

I truely think unions should be curtailed of any political powers or influences, in fact why not abolish them altogether?

Ah! your argument will be that they are trying to help the members, as I am not a member then what are they doing for me, sweet nothing so get rid of them. The monarchy does try to do things for me by bringing in trade and money to this country.

You do not say whether you have been wronged against by the monarchy or if they have demanded money from you, neither do you say whether why you want happiness taken away from the people of this country. WHY?
I will treat your response with the contempt it deserves Bob.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

07-06-2012, 09:10 AM

Typical unionist, backs out when finding they are wrong and tries to blame others.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Well if you want to look back at history then our own history bears examination too. Some 350 odd years ago we managed to depose our own monarch and execute him. We also subsequently deposed his son too and replaced him with his daughter and husband, so change IS possible. I just want an opportunity to elect a head of state instead of having one imposed upon us.
I still don't understand why Uncle Joe when we have an elected government in this country you wan't to get rid of the monarchy (which in my opinion is a bonus these days). I believe the monarchy accepts the the majority vote in this country each time there is a change of party. There are countries around the World who would be happy to have a Head of State. Tourists come and pay good money to admire the pagentry and ceremony associated with the history of this country. Granted these things could be seen as relics, but valuable relics nevertheless. I don't knock it because I think our modern monarchy is an asset rather than a hinderance.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

07-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I still don't understand why Uncle Joe when we have an elected government in this country you wan't to get rid of the monarchy (which in my opinion is a bonus these days). I believe the monarchy accepts the the majority vote in this country each time there is a change of party. There are countries around the World who would be happy to have a Head of State. Tourists come and pay good money to admire the pagentry and ceremony associated with the history of this country. Granted these things could be seen as relics, but valuable relics nevertheless. I don't knock it because I think our modern monarchy is an asset rather than a hinderance.
Rena darlin' - the pageantry and ceremony do not have to change - that can still continue (f'r instance as they still do in France when they celebrate Bastille Day - 14th July), BUT they have an ELECTED Head of State who, as has recently been demonstrated, can be changed if and when the people choose to do so. 'WE' do not have that same choice, 'WE' have Mr and Mrs Windsor foisted on us, without so much as a 'by your leave'. and without ANY say in the matter whatsoever. That is NOT democracy.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top