Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 10:15 PM

Re: New Golf Mk8 omission

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
If it’s a new car then you can go to any vw dealership for servicing
Yes, it would be new.

I sort of imagined a "You can sod off. You didn't buy it from us" comment!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, it would be new.

I sort of imagined a "You can sod off. You didn't buy it from us" comment!
The only problem I could see is if you needed to reject the car or had any issues that could only be resolved by the supplying dealer, then you would need to go back to where you got it from, but that would be unlikely, I bought a new car through orangewheels a few years ago, had it serviced and any warranty work carried out by my local dealers, I bought it from a ford dealership in Guildford. No problems whatsoever
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 07:43 AM

Yes, any VW dealer will sort out any problems the car has. The trade in seems to be quite simple. They will offer a price, unseen obviously, and I think this offer is valid for three months. Your car will then be collected from your house on an agreed date. I would have traded in my car with them but a family member bought it instead.

I have bought two new VW's using Carwow and found it a very easy no- nonsense experience. On both occasions I went and picked up the car - the furthest of the two dealers I bought from was only 50 miles away but most dealers will deliver the car to you free of charge.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 02:21 PM

The only problem I could see is if you needed to reject the car or had any issues that could only be resolved by the supplying dealer, then you would need to go back to where you got it from, but that would be unlikely, I bought a new car through orangewheels a few years ago, had it serviced and any warranty work carried out by my local dealers, I bought it from a ford dealership in Guildford. No problems whatsoever
Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Yes, any VW dealer will sort out any problems the car has. The trade in seems to be quite simple. They will offer a price, unseen obviously, and I think this offer is valid for three months. Your car will then be collected from your house on an agreed date. I would have traded in my car with them but a family member bought it instead.

I have bought two new VW's using Carwow and found it a very easy no- nonsense experience. On both occasions I went and picked up the car - the furthest of the two dealers I bought from was only 50 miles away but most dealers will deliver the car to you free of charge.
Thank you both.

What I think I'll do is get a quote from Carwow and then see if my local outlet can beat it (or at least match it).

If not, I'll go with Carwow - if the offer is from someone reasonably close.

Just one question regarding the unseen offer for our old car in part-exchange. I can inform them of the details of the car, including age and mileage, but won't they want to look at the condition of the bodywork, etc., before making an offer of the payment they will make? There are a couple of marks, including a scratch on one side made by an unknown yob several weeks ago.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 04:19 PM

How old is the car you will be part-exchanging? I ask because a certain amount of wear and tear will be expected/allowed for. For example; if the car is 5 years old you wouldn't reasonably expect it to be in showroom condition. On the other hand, if it's a two year old with high mileage and a few dents and scratches I would imagine you will be knocked down on the price.

Last year I had a 2015 Beetle in showroom condition with about 7500 miles on the clock. VW offered me such an insulting trade in price I told them to get stuffed. They explained they marked it down because one of the annual services wasn't done at a VW dealership. Carwow offered a lot more but in the end I sold it to family for next to nothing. That way I was helping a family member and preventing VW from mugging me. Win. Win.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-08-2020, 05:41 PM

How old is the car you will be part-exchanging? I ask because a certain amount of wear and tear will be expected/allowed for. For example; if the car is 5 years old you wouldn't reasonably expect it to be in showroom condition. On the other hand, if it's a two year old with high mileage and a few dents and scratches I would imagine you will be knocked down on the price.

Last year I had a 2015 Beetle in showroom condition with about 7500 miles on the clock. VW offered me such an insulting trade in price I told them to get stuffed. They explained they marked it down because one of the annual services wasn't done at a VW dealership. Carwow offered a lot more but in the end I sold it to family for next to nothing. That way I was helping a family member and preventing VW from mugging me. Win. Win.
Bought new in March 2018. We have done less than 10,000 miles each year. No dents, but a couple of scrapes. Otherwise, the bodywork is in good condition.
It has been serviced by the VW showroom we bought it from on a pre-paid service deal.

I recently did an insurance comparison and one of the companies quoted its current value as £14,500.
Of course, I have no idea how this would relate to a trade in value.

The other thing when discussing a trade-in deal, of course, is what 'optional extras' they might offer for nowt!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 06:08 PM

Best thing to do is look on autotrader for comparable cars private sales if possible as dealer prices will include their mark up, you could check on honest John or Parker’s for valuations, I doubt the dealer will throw anything in for free but there’s no harm in asking, just don’t buy paint protection or gap insurance, indeed anything that a dealer offers in aftermarket items you can get cheaper elsewhere, they make huge profits from those things as well as selling finance, that’s why they don’t like accepting cash anymore...
Takahashi
United Kingdom

18-08-2020, 06:24 PM

Best thing to do is look on autotrader for comparable cars private sales if possible as dealer prices will include their mark up, you could check on honest John or Parker’s for valuations, I doubt the dealer will throw anything in for free but there’s no harm in asking, just don’t buy paint protection or gap insurance, indeed anything that a dealer offers in aftermarket items you can get cheaper elsewhere, they make huge profits from those things as well as selling finance, that’s why they don’t like accepting cash anymore...
100% agree. Just do some research in advance and you should get a good idea of what your car is worth. Also, have a look at VW's used car site to get an idea of what VW are selling similar models to your own for. The more prepared you are the better deal you will get. Carwow will give you quotes for both cash and finance. There's a lot of psychology in buying cars and doing the deal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-08-2020, 06:42 PM

100% agree. Just do some research in advance and you should get a good idea of what your car is worth. Also, have a look at VW's used car site to get an idea of what VW are selling similar models to your own for. The more prepared you are the better deal you will get. Carwow will give you quotes for both cash and finance. There's a lot of psychology in buying cars and doing the deal.
Lots of good advice here. Thank you both.
We don't want finance, although when we visited the other day, the woman said we could have interest-free finance if we ordered there and then.

We didn't, of course. We don't want to buy until early next year. For one thing, the auto-folding wing mirrors are not available now, and who knows what other changes will have been added by then? If they can still offer interest-free finance then we'll compare that with their cash price.
Primus1
York

18-08-2020, 09:04 PM

You could always take the finance and then pay off the outstanding balance, although this might be better if the finance was higher as you might get a better deal

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top