Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 09:17 PM

Re: New Golf Mk8 omission

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You could always take the finance and then pay off the outstanding balance, although this might be better if the finance was higher as you might get a better deal
This is getting a bit too complicated for me!

I think, instead, it would be better if I just won the lottery.

Though I suppose I'd have to start doing it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Sometimes they might offer you a really good deal if you take their finance, the salesman will get his commission, then after a few days you can ask for a settlement figure and pay it off, a bit naughty but perfectly legal..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Sometimes they might offer you a really good deal if you take their finance, the salesman will get his commission, then after a few days you can ask for a settlement figure and pay it off, a bit naughty but perfectly legal..
That sounds worth a try.
Is such a good deal likely with interest-free finance?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That sounds worth a try.
Is such a good deal likely with interest-free finance?
Possibly not so much, but there are other online car buying sites
Check out drivethedeal or orangewheels, to name but two,
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-08-2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by primus1 ->
possibly not so much, but there are other online car buying sites
check out drivethedeal or orangewheels, to name but two,
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 09:33 AM

Are the electric folding wings mirrors not even a factory fitted option on the model you want?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Are the electric folding wings mirrors not even a factory fitted option on the model you want?
Apparently (according to the gentleman who telephoned me), they were not included initially for some reason to do with 'production methods'. That's all he could say.

However, he assured me that they would be included by March.

Personally, I can't see what the big problem could be. The present models have it, so the switches, motors, connections, etc., must already be readily available.

If it's a cost thing, how much would it save not to fit it? Peanuts!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Hi

In the event of a No Deal, you will be paying more.

Why do you want the new version?

Whilst the price of older used cars has shot up, there is a glut of new cars in storage in the UK with some huge discounts for pre registered cars.

Flexibility saves money.

I have a 61 reg ex works diesel automatic with 76k on the clock.

I was thinking of changing.

I only do around 7000 a year now and the mechanics in the garage tell me to keep it, it is good for 150,000 miles.

As they cruelly say, nobody is going to steal it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-08-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Why do you want the new version?

Whilst the price of older used cars has shot up, there is a glut of new cars in storage in the UK with some huge discounts for pre registered cars.

Flexibility saves money.

I have a 61 reg ex works diesel automatic with 76k on the clock.

I was thinking of changing.

I only do around 7000 a year now and the mechanics in the garage tell me to keep it, it is good for 150,000 miles.

As they cruelly say, nobody is going to steal it.
Two reasons:
Firstly, when our car is three years old, MoTs begin. Then things need repairing or replacing. I've been there. The older the car, the more expensive it becomes and the less it is worth in part-exchange.
Secondly, there have been some improvements in the new model which we think are worth having.

Yes, we had thought about pre-registered cars but, as I mentioned earlier, the existing Golf 8s lack certain things - notably the folding wing mirrors, the lack of which I explained earlier would be quite inconvenient for us with a narrow garage.

Not as old as your old banger, but until we bought this car, I had a 2003 Skoda Fabia diesel which was an excellent car. That, despite being reliable and nice to drive, began to need repairs and replacements. Also, as we were then both retired, we had no need of two cars, so Marge's Mazda 3 went in part-exchange and my Skoda qualified for the government's generous £4000 reward for scrapping. It would have been worth £400 at best!
I'll never again accuse the government of not being generous!
Primus1
York

19-08-2020, 06:03 PM

Personally, I can't see what the big problem could be. The present models have it, so the switches, motors, connections, etc., must already be readily available.

If it's a cost thing, how much would it save not to fit it? Peanuts!

Well it’s all about money, of course, it used to be that manufacturer’s had a range that usually started with a base model, then a medium then higher spec models, somewhere along the way somebody realised that they could make more money by putting what used to be standard equipment on each model, on the options list, where you would spend more money getting the desired equipment on your car, Now they have realised that packs are the way forward, such and such pack comes with these features, and another pack will come with something else, so you could find yourself having to buy different packs to get the options you want....

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top