Join for free
Page 10 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 05:37 PM

Re: smart metres

Do you think most people would charge cars up at night or go to a place like a petrol station? Does it cost a lot to have a charging point installed in your home?
What about if you can't park next to your house, flat?
Why aren't all electric cars self charging as they go along, charging the battery? I think some are.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Do you think most people would charge cars up at night or go to a place like a petrol station? Does it cost a lot to have a charging point installed in your home?
Why aren't all electric cars self charging as they go along, charging the battery? I think some are.
Some chargers are powered but most chargers are just that - chargers. Some chargers can be provided with a domestic supply or a local charging point.

For longer trips, a charger may not suffice for applications.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm no expert, but perhaps I may give you my take on this.

I think most would charge their cars at night (if they had a garage), as waiting for your car to charge at a petrol station would be quite time consuming. I wouldn't want to leave an electric car on the street with a charging cable snaking into my house! Someone would trip over it or abstract my electricity.

I don't know how much it would cost to have a charging point installed, but I wouldn't have thought it would be too expensive.

No, electric cars can't charge themselves up as they go along. That would be akin to perpetual motion, and free motoring!
Hybrid cars can, to an extent, but they'd need to run on their petrol engine to do so, though they can gain a small amount of charge from the energy created when braking.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm no expert, but perhaps I may give you my take on this.

I think most would charge their cars at night (if they had a garage), as waiting for your car to charge at a petrol station would be quite time consuming. I wouldn't want to leave an electric car on the street with a charging cable snaking into my house! Someone would trip over it or abstract my electricity.

I don't know how much it would cost to have a charging point installed, but I wouldn't have thought it would be too expensive.

No, electric cars can't charge themselves up as they go along. That would be akin to perpetual motion, and free motoring!
Hybrid cars can, to an extent, but they'd need to run on their petrol engine to do so, though they can gain a small amount of charge from the energy created when braking.
Seems the cost is around £1000 with grants of £500 available. That's OK if you have a property that allows this but how many people live in flats, maisonettes or terraced properties? It also seems that charging points have to have some connection with 'Smart' meters, so the car can be charged overnight, at the cheapest rate. From what information I found there are many companies advertising to install home charging points:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/ownin...g-guide/n18056
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:09 PM

A lot of us old geezers are still thinking economy 7, and storage heaters, the lost revenue from fossil fuel needs replicating, won't matter what time of day you charge your electric vehicle. the NHS and similar still needs funding so the Tariff will probably be the same whatever the time of day or night.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Seems the cost is around £1000 with grants of £500 available. That's OK if you have a property that allows this but how many people live in flats, maisonettes or terraced properties? It also seems that charging points have to have some connection with 'Smart' meters, so the car can be charged overnight, at the cheapest rate. From what information I found there are many companies advertising to install home charging points:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/ownin...g-guide/n18056
That makes electric cars quite attractive in some ways.

In normal use, a 12 hour charge overnight would suit most people who use the car for commuting or for relatively short trips during the day.

The fast chargers sound useful if you're someone who needs to keep recharging on a long journey. A wait of about an hour is, I suppose, tolerable as you're likely to want to have a rest and a cup of coffee periodically on a long journey.

One thing of concern, which is not mentioned in the article, is the matter of resale values.
Bearing in mind that the batteries don't last for ever, and the cost of a replacement battery is really quite expensive, I wonder what resale prices are like for these cars.
I'd also like to know how long the batteries in these cars tend to last before becoming unreliable or of unacceptably shortened range.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:35 PM

That's all well and good, without specifics, it seems charging is free gratis and for nothing, that can't be so, the data on this has been slow coming forward.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That makes electric cars quite attractive in some ways.

In normal use, a 12 hour charge overnight would suit most people who use the car for commuting or for relatively short trips during the day.

The fast chargers sound useful if you're someone who needs to keep recharging on a long journey. A wait of about an hour is, I suppose, tolerable as you're likely to want to have a rest and a cup of coffee periodically on a long journey.

One thing of concern, which is not mentioned in the article, is the matter of resale values.
Bearing in mind that the batteries don't last for ever, and the cost of a replacement battery is really quite expensive, I wonder what resale prices are like for these cars.
I'd also like to know how long the batteries in these cars tend to last before becoming unreliable or of unacceptably shortened range.
Resale values are all governed by the dealers anyway, I doubt that is likely to change, it will still be a rip-off. My VW Golf, purchased new in 2014, has lost £50.00 a week for the six years' I have owned it. A good buy for anyone when it's sold as to date it's only done 24,000 miles, the paintwork is almost unmarked. Inside the other seats have hardly been sat upon either.

I have read that the batteries can be leased, due to their replacement cost, that is seldom mentioned in articles though. It's all unknown territory too, so I reckon a lot of research needs doing before purchasing an electric vehicle.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

01-08-2020, 09:52 PM

Not ready for twist and go, yet.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-08-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Resale values are all governed by the dealers anyway, I doubt that is likely to change, it will still be a rip-off. My VW Golf, purchased new in 2014, has lost £50.00 a week for the six years' I have owned it. A good buy for anyone when it's sold as to date it's only done 24,000 miles, the paintwork is almost unmarked. Inside the other seats have hardly been sat upon either.

I have read that the batteries can be leased, due to their replacement cost, that is seldom mentioned in articles though. It's all unknown territory too, so I reckon a lot of research needs doing before purchasing an electric vehicle.
That doesn't sound too bad, actually.

Our Golf will be 3 years old in March and, by your reckoning, would have lost about £7-8,000 by then. I was expecting more like £10,000, though ours has a couple of small scratches.

We'll find out soon enough, I suppose, when we trade it in.

Page 10 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top