Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Those clever Greenlanders knew how to make life simple back in its 18th century colonial era when they colour wooden buildings and houses which were sent up from Scandinavia as timber kits. Bit like Ikea flat packs today.. only huger

Buildings were painted in one of five colours....red, black, yellow, green and blue and each colour had a specific meaning. The reasoning behind the colour coordination was to make it easier to distinguish between the houses before street names and house numbers were used. Clever hey

Red was the most used colour as it represented not only the church and anything related to it but also trade.'Later on the trade lot shifted over to its own colour black. Yellow represented anything health related. All hospitals were painted yellow as were the houses where doctors and nurses lived. Green was at first the symbol for radio communication and with the development in personal communication devices it later became the colour of telecommunications and Blue was for GTO (The Greenlandic Technical Organisation) and factories.

As red was already taken by the 'heaven forbids' lot..We don't know what colour pubs and brothels were painted so perhaps they used the left over paints to do stripey colours....ok maybe not. .

NB Colour helps with navigation too, for example as anyone who has driven into Fishgaurd will know there is (or was) a very shockingly glaring yellow house on the hill which you cannot fail to see as it blinds you....so if you have not crashed your car in shock you know you are not far from your hotel and ferry
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 01:06 PM

I believe Quintin Crisp (“Life was a funny thing that happened to me on the way to the grave”) lived there for a while, his was the pink house.
Yes colours play an important part in our lives, you can be off colour or in the pink, green with envy, red with anger, a yellow coward or be down with the blues.
Flags of all colours are carried with pride to show where we come from or belong, different colours for our folding money, colour coded wiring so we don’t electrocute ourselves, where would we be without colour.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Some people are just plain weird, just put the TV on and an old episode of the Chase was on, a contestant was asked what she would do if she won the money, she stated she would watch Primates having sex!!!! well, she said she would like to see Mounting Gorillas.
Speaking of sex with animals Spitty reminded me of of an article in the Daily Mirror back in the 1980’s.
We were all having a game of dominoes in the local on a Saturday morning and the barman was leaning over the counter reading the paper, he read out the item about a farmer in Herefordshire who was given a six months suspended sentence and fined 500 quid for having sex with one of his pigs, it went on to give details of the charges and his arrest but nothing about how the law found out about it.
One old geezer was curious and says to Con the barman “Hey Con, how did the police find out about it?”
“The pig squealed”

And as it says in all the Billy Bunter books “They all laughed”
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Left you to speak of sex with animals as I knew you would do it so much better than I. The nearest I came to that was in a club in Cairo when they led a donkey onto the stage but we will leave it at that...but I am sure you are telling porkies about the pig

Reading about all this fuss over a row got me thinking about some of the ding dongs we saw as kids.

It was the highlight of our day or week if one of our neighbours had a good old free for all out in the open for all to see and hear, usually after closing hours if the Sunday dinner had been missed or worse if the pay day packet had not been brought home.

We would listen open mouthed and all agog before the lanquage got ripe enough for our Mums to clap their hands over our ears lest we learn something we shouldn't. Nodding knowingly and tut tutting at every hurled insult was allowed but woe betide any neighbour who was gormless enough to agree with either of the two arguing..cos then much to us watching kids delight all hell really broke loose and it became a 'lets all join in', but once a punch was thrown, much to our disgust we were whisked home, bundled into bed, threatened with all kinds of dire things if we so much as moved and out went the light.

No one thought to call the police and should the local copper pass by on his beat at the time he would know it for what it was and leave well alone. Insults made were forgotten the next day and no one remembered whatever started the argument in the first place, except for the local busy body who could tell you years later what it was all about word for word....and as there was no such thing as taping or videoing the whole affair...in the main no damage was done.

Those ding dongs taught us life wasn't all roses and dare I say we learnt how to cope in a far healthier way than todays way of handling of these things.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-06-2019, 09:38 PM

That really happened with the pig, Con was a very witty barman, we never did find out how the police got wind of it though, puts a whole new meaning to that old saying “On the pigs back” don’t it.

Great recollections there Solo, very familiar to me, it took me back, you might have been living on the same street as meself.
There were some terrific ding dongs back then, no better family than the fighting Kellys, guaranteed entertainment on a regular basis, the name calling was their speciality, never any physical violence. You could write a book on them.
There was the mother and father, four girls and three boys ranging in age from 20 down to 10 for six of them and then there was the last of them, the babby who was 4 or 5, the shakings of the bag as the father sometimes referred to her with a smile.
He was over six foot and built like a rugby player, a docker on the coal boats he was as strong as a horse. She was tiny, about five foot three or four, slim with the face of an angel and the mouth of a lion, he was scared to death of her tongue, she called him “The Dog” and he called her “The Witch”, both of them were fond of a drop and Sunday mornings the shouting and name calling from the pair of them drew neighbours from the whole street, the boys took the fathers side and the girls sided with the mother, some of the names I could never repeat here, but the mother’s mouth was always the loudest and the last to be heard.
The police were never involved and after an hour of so the two of them would emerge from the house smiling and nodding good morning to all the neighbours as they headed out hand in hand to the 12 o’clock mass. Ah how nice, true love never runs smooth as they say.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-06-2019, 09:48 PM

I forget what way that Monty Python sketch went, you know the one.
He’s looking down at him because he is taller than him
He’s looking up at him because he’s smaller than him
And he’s looking down at the ground because he lost a fiver.
Something like that but with a class theme.

This is a fact, there was an old man who used to go around town with his shoulders bent downwards and his eyes peeled to the path, whenever he came across a piece of coloured paper he’d pick it up and examine it very carefully then throw it away muttering something that sounded like “F..k that”
I was a mere boy when he was alive and had seen him do this several times, I asked the granny did she know him and why was he always bent up and looking at the ground, she told me that when he was young he found a pound note in O’Connell Street and has been looking for another one ever since.
Just goes to show you, be careful what you wish for, that poor man's life was ruined from the day he “Got lucky”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 09:48 PM

I refuse to romanticise problem neighbours.

In the next room.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-06-2019, 09:52 PM

I refuse to romanticise problem neighbours.

In the next room.
Who knows Spitty, you or I could be next doors problem neighbour, we all have our own standards.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:00 PM

I refuse to get to the default point, "What's wrong with him".
solo
UK

25-06-2019, 10:51 AM

I refuse to get to the default point, "What's wrong with him".
Dunno about that Spitty. During a short stop over in the UK I stayed with friends in their council ground floor maisonette. I was astonished to see their neighbour lead a goat upstairs and then hear it trotting around on the floorboards.

When I asked what was going on they told me that was the 5th goat they had complained to the council about but when it was looked into, the upstairs chappie said it was there to catch mice..and they believed him!!! I jest you not.

Every now and again the goat would disappear and a wondrous smell of meat cooking would filter down to my friends flat.

Doesn't do to ask too many questions though does it

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top