Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 08:52 PM

My Saving Mission

So my saving money mission is going quite well tonight.

I've noticed around 7pm ever night in our local Tesco reduced items come out and there are always a lot of asian people in crowds, I used to wonder what they were doing, now I know.

So tonight I thought why not and I ended up getting 3 french baguettes for 11p each which would have been 45p each. I then saw a large crowd gathering round the fruit and veg area so I went over then all of a sudden the bloke came out with the reduced items and it was all hell broke loose, it was terrible, the people were practically fighting and I couldn't even get a look in. I did eventually and I got some jersey royals for 11p too so I was pleased as they looked fine.

The best bargain was when I saw the meat coming out and as I eat a lot of chicken breast meat and spend quite a bit on it I thought I'd see what was on offer. I was well pleased, I got 3 packs of chicken breast on skewers with chorizo which each would have been £4 each and I got them for £1 each, they are now in my freezer. I only eat chicken breast meat as I don't really like other meat and i spend a fortune on it so this was a fantastic saving for me.

So tonight I've saved quite a bit, the chicken would have been £12, I got for £3, the bread would have been £1.35 I got for 33p and I'm not sure how much the jersey royals would have been but they would have been more than 11p lol.

I'm quite pleased with myself and I'm really enjoying this saving lark.

I never thought I'd see myself hanging around waiting for the reduced items but sometimes needs must.

I do wish people wouldn't be so selfish though, some of the people were just grabbing stuff and putting in their trolley without a thought that someone else might want a share of what was on offer. I think next time I'll push them out the way like they did me! I won't really, i'm not like that but perhaps I should be!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Re: My Saving Mission

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
So my saving money mission is going quite well tonight.

I've noticed around 7pm ever night in our local Tesco reduced items come out and there are always a lot of asian people in crowds, I used to wonder what they were doing, now I know.

So tonight I thought why not and I ended up getting 3 french baguettes for 11p each which would have been 45p each. I then saw a large crowd gathering round the fruit and veg area so I went over then all of a sudden the bloke came out with the reduced items and it was all hell broke loose, it was terrible, the people were practically fighting and I couldn't even get a look in. I did eventually and I got some jersey royals for 11p too so I was pleased as they looked fine.

The best bargain was when I saw the meat coming out and as I eat a lot of chicken breast meat and spend quite a bit on it I thought I'd see what was on offer. I was well pleased, I got 3 packs of chicken breast on skewers with chorizo which each would have been £4 each and I got them for £1 each, they are now in my freezer. I only eat chicken breast meat as I don't really like other meat and i spend a fortune on it so this was a fantastic saving for me.

So tonight I've saved quite a bit, the chicken would have been £12, I got for £3, the bread would have been £1.35 I got for 33p and I'm not sure how much the jersey royals would have been but they would have been more than 11p lol.

I'm quite pleased with myself and I'm really enjoying this saving lark.

I never thought I'd see myself hanging around waiting for the reduced items but sometimes needs must.

I do wish people wouldn't be so selfish though, some of the people were just grabbing stuff and putting in their trolley without a thought that someone else might want a share of what was on offer. I think next time I'll push them out the way like they did me! I won't really, i'm not like that but perhaps I should be!
Well done you!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Well done you!
Ta Bes
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Very well done LQ .
I've witnessed those kind of crowds in M&S even when reduced eatables are relabelled .
A case of Everyman for himself I think ,some opportunists tho mixed in with the needs musts .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Steel toe caps on your shoes, stiletto heels and very sharp elbows work wonders, LQ !!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

08-06-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Steel toe caps on your shoes, stiletto heels and very sharp elbows work wonders, LQ !!
hehe this made me chuckle,
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:54 PM

Good work Lionqueen. I know they have some great bargains in Tesco if you go at the right time. My niece always goes and she brings home some bargains every time she goes. I think the meat, fish and fresh veg. can have particularly good reductions. I keep meaning to have a go myself, but am a car ride away from Tesco and it is not my usual shop. Still I will have to make the effort and give them a try.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Check

Good work Lion Queen
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:29 AM

My sis used to put out the reductions and got quite cross with the shoppers! Well done on your bargains. Sometimes you can ask the staff if they plan on reducing an item even more. I’ve seen this done.

Just an obvious tip, only buy what you know you will eat. I often get packs of sliced cooked meat, to freeze. Pork slices, beef slices. Get a small slow cooker (Wilko) and do casseroles, some of which you can freeze. Look for cheap, or reduced, meat. And if using a casserole mix, don’t go for expensive Schwarz, but get the SM own brand. Mine was half the price in Morrisons.

Spend time browsing the shelves at what things cost, and see what you can get cheaper.

Do you have SM loyalty cards? I have Sainsbury’s, Morrisons and Tesco but the first one has amassed the most points because yes, I buy the Daily Mail 6 days a week and enter the code numbers on the back of the paper, so adding to those obtained in the shop. This won’t interest you, if you are trying to save, but remember you can read papers online.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Hi

Well done LQ.

I did the Sunday Market this morning.

The greengrocer does bowls of stuff at £1 each.
5 avocados, 16 bananas, 3 cucumbers, a kilo of baby tomatoes and 4 bunches of spring onion cost me £5.

We have a huge slaughterhouse and meat packing plant right next to it.

They have mega supermarket contracts, the weather has changed gone cold and wet so the supermarkets have not taken the barbecue stuff.

You have to take pot luck on what they are selling.

Sirloin Steaks were 5 for £10 today, whole fillet steaks, shop price £30 a kilo, were £10 a kilo.

Chicken skewers with onions, peppers were £1 each, or 6 for £5.

It is not rubbish either, they supply Marks, Waitrose etc.

They have a 5 Star Food Hygiene Rating.

Good Luck with your new system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top