Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 12:17 AM

Mrs America

Just finished watching this on BBC and it's fabulous. It charts the history of the womens' movement in the US and it's a fascinating journey.

I was never a "feminist" as such but it had a big impact on my social identity. I was a child when the movement was at its most powerful. My generation grew up surrounded by the combined cacophony of feminism and sexual liberation. But it was not our party. We were the hangover. The dust settled and it was not fairy dust.

But this series is an exquisite offering. Cate Blanchett in the leading role as Phyllis Schlafly - the radical and supremely irritating anti-feminist. Lecturing comrades dealing with domestic abuse by saying they should learn how to manage their husbands. Making it clear that any marital discourse is their fault.

It's funny that the feminine mystique is now indeed mysterious to many young women today. They are still finding themselves in the same fox hole and the same dead ends. But without the two extremes of feminism and stepford wifedom or any definable roles.

Whether it's helped womankind or not, the programme charts the history elegantly and anyone (like me) who is not aware of the links to the modern day US political climate should watch this must-see nugget.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top