Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 02:18 AM

Shooting squirrels.

I took these a few years ago whilst working in the USA. Someone introduced a pair black squirrels to a district on the outskirts of Cincinnati about a century ago, and they thrived. These fellows were produced in their honour. I can't remember what all of them represented, but added comments for the one's I could, although some may be obvious.

Construction squirrel operating a neurotic drill.

The same squirrel photobombed by some English eejit.

A scouting squirrel.

Flower Power.

Scholarly squirrel.

I have no eye-dea why this one is covered in eyes.

Outside a racket ball club.

Gaslight squirrel in an area where there were a number of decorative working gaslights.

Fishing squirrel. The boat is named after the district where the black squirrels are located.

Slytherin squirrel. Presumably there are snakes in the area.

I can't remember what these three represented.

This last one is my favourite, a firefighter squirrel outside the local fire station.

In all there were about 35 squirrels permanently dotted around the place, a bit like the Gromits around Bristol. My colleague and I managed to find about 28 in all. Some had been sold off and the others we just couldn't find, but it was a fun afternoon spent driving and walking around in the sunshine near our hotel.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 04:38 AM

Re: Shooting squirrels.

A brilliant idea, Fruitcake, and such lovely photos. Especially the photo-bombed one as it give an idea of the size of the squirrels.

These also brought back memories of our dear Nom - when he well enough to photograph and share with us all the lovely 'Snowdogs' that appeared all over Newcastle.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 05:49 AM

So adorable. Here I was ready to be upset with people shooting squirrels and it’s with a camera. I’m so relieved. This thread really made me smile.
So cute. I’m still smiling.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:47 AM

How lovely, an excellent way of bringing smiles to people’s faces.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
A brilliant idea, Fruitcake, and such lovely photos. Especially the photo-bombed one as it give an idea of the size of the squirrels.

These also brought back memories of our dear Nom - when he well enough to photograph and share with us all the lovely 'Snowdogs' that appeared all over Newcastle.

I thought exactly the same as you Tabby.
The photo-bombed one showed how big the squirrels were, and the flowery ones immediately made me remember our Nom.

Lovely pictures Fruitcake, thank you, I enjoyed them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 10:47 AM

Well photographed. A good idea and colourful squirrels. I wonder what the real squirrels think of them?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 12:02 PM

Super photo's, Fruitcake. Were these sold for charity?
I love the way they make animal statues & put them around the towns/cities then after a time auction them off for charity. My ex boss bought an otter from an auction.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Super photo's, Fruitcake. Were these sold for charity?
I love the way they make animal statues & put them around the towns/cities then after a time auction them off for charity. My ex boss bought an otter from an auction.
A small handful of the squirrels were sold for charity, a few were moved to other locations, but most were left. Their character or paint job all represented something nearby; the Fire Fighter and the one painted with eyes outside an optician being perfect examples of this.

I remember a similar idea with cows around Manchester, and of course Gromit Unleashed in Bristol being another example.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
A small handful of the squirrels were sold for charity, a few were moved to other locations, but most were left. Their character or paint job all represented something nearby; the Fire Fighter and the one painted with eyes outside an optician being perfect examples of this.

I remember a similar idea with cows around Manchester, and of course Gromit Unleashed in Bristol being another example.
They had elephants in Plymouth.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 06:56 PM

Brilliant! I love those guys.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top