Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Re: Swearing / foul language

One of the many advantages of being multilingual is that you have such a huge verbal pallette to select from.

That and some languages are better suited to express things.

English is good for duplicity and being mendacious. French for diplomacy. German as the universal language - the louder you shout the more people understand, and Russian if going on the bevvy 'cos it sounds as if it's being spoken backwards to the untrained ear anyway but then we come to the Big Two.

Hebrew and Yiddish. To be religious there's nothing better than Hebrew but ---

But to be really seriously rude and offensive there's nowt to beat Yiddish!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:37 PM

Silence is Golden, in any language. Probably.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:42 PM

My old Mum brought us up to believe that swear words were words which the illiterate can put into their sentences when they don't know any other words which would fit.

A bit like "Err" and "You Know" but a touch more challenging.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 09:45 PM

Words don't matter, it is how they are delivered and with what intent that does, probably.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:00 PM

I remember, some years ago, someone saying...

Bloody in the bible, bloody in the book.
If you don’t bloody believe me, have a bloody look!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My old Mum brought us up to believe that swear words were words which the illiterate can put into their sentences when they don't know any other words which would fit.

A bit like "Err" and "You Know" but a touch more challenging.

I used to say similar to that Ted.
I used to say swear words show a lack of vocabulary.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Susan, first let me apologise for shortening your starter post, but when you said . . .

" I'm going to stop going on now , so please can you tell me how you feel when you hear these awful words .

Am I a snob , or a fogey , old fashioned or not with it . Should I get modern?"

My answer to you is NO. Stand by what feels right for YOU not other people.

Just because it may be considered 'Modern' by some, that does not make it automatically right, nor any less offensive to other people.

I can swear, anybody who can speak can. But that doesn't make it right or clever.

I swear myself sometimes, if I feel it appropriate or in messing about even, but I don't think I have ever said the 'F' word in my life.
As for the 'C' word - I detest it and would not be pleased if someone I was with swore like that.

As for children swearing, my grown up son used the 'F' word a few weeks back.
I was really, really surprised. I thought I had misheard and asked him what he said again. He swore again!
I told him off, even at his age.
That is the first time in his entire life I had ever heard him say that and that is why I was so surprised.

He said everyone at work swears, and I told him maybe they do, but he's not at work now!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:37 PM

Do you remember people swearing like we hear nowadays when you were young . Was it Like it is today , because I dont ever remember sitting with my kids or even when I was a kid hearing this foul language . I would have been embarrassed in front of my parents and I would have turned TV or radio off immediately.

Why is it so acceptable .?

When did it become acceptable ?

Interesting replies , many thanks
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-08-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Do you remember people swearing like we hear nowadays when you were young . Was it Like it is today , because I dont ever remember sitting with my kids or even when I was a kid hearing this foul language . I would have been embarrassed in front of my parents and I would have turned TV or radio off immediately.

Why is it so acceptable .?

When did it become acceptable ?

Interesting replies , many thanks

Susan, I think anything we are exposed to continually, naturally takes the sting out of it.
We become less and less shocked, and sometimes even accept it as ' normal' eventually.

Look at many years ago, gays used to keep their desires to themselves. They daren't go public. The idea of two same-sex marrying would have been completely shocking.
Now, after years of same-sex couples openly being together, most people think nothing of it.

Same goes with bad language. We get de-sensitised.
It was once shocking because we hardly ever heard it. The younger people are growing up with hearing it daily, but we didn't.

Just another sign of the times I suppose, but that still won't make me find really foul language any more agreeable or acceptable, though I see no harm in things like 'bloody' and silly old bugger.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
One of the many advantages of being multilingual is that you have such a huge verbal pallette to select from.
I wouldn't say I'm multilingual, but (in addition to English) I can swear in German, Dutch and Arabic.

Funny how when you're discussing things with a foreign speaker, the first thing you tend to ask them is how to say, "********" or whatever rude word takes your fancy!

That's what I did when working in Saudi Arabia anyway.

As for Dutch, I learnt a useful phrase when a Dutch engineer was working on an X-ray tube, stood up and promptly banged his head on it! Of course, I demanded to know what the words meant.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top