Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Are you a stickler..

..for table manners?
My mother was so I think it rubbed off on me.

I don't like it when I dine with others, if someone starts a course before everyone else's has arrived.
I even eat my soup in the proper manner, even when I'm alone!!!

And as for burping or belching (some pass that off as a "compliment to the chef") ewwwwww disgusting!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 01:28 PM

Re: Are you a stickler..

Oh yes, definitely a strong supporter of table manners, Rhian.

When my grandchildren were younger and we were invited to a meal, my SIL had a habit of eating any food that was left on the childrens’ plates! Not a very good example of table manners for the children! My daughter used to tick him off after every time and after a while even the children used to tell him off and say no to him!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Oh yes, definitely a strong supporter of table manners, Rhian.

When my grandchildren were younger and we were invited to a meal, my SIL had a habit of eating any food that was left on the childrens’ plates! Not a very good example of table manners for the children! My daughter used to tick him off after every time and after a while even the children used to tell him off and say no to him!

Ha! Good for them!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

11-08-2020, 01:44 PM

One thing that used to annoy me too, was when I'd cook a roast for the in-laws and season everything to perfection (!) only to see my then F-i-l chuck a pile of salt over everything BEFORE he'd even TASTED it!!!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 01:45 PM

Rhian, l am the worst for judging people on their table manners.
Even the way you hold your knife!! If you hold it like a pen and wave it about ... l immediately think.... No breeding!!

I would prefer to see forks held in the right way, in the left hand and not held like a savage would hold it!

No stretching across the table to reach dishes, you ask politely for the nearest person to pass it to you.

I get annoyed if you go to someone’s house, they have finished their meal, so they start collecting up all the plates and dishes before you or everyone else has finished.

Definitely, no television should be switched on whilst you are eating, with people transfixed on it. How an earth, do they savour their food?
Some nice soft music playing quietly is acceptable.

Yes, l know l am a Mrs Bouquet/table snob where eating is concerned but l am very laid back about other things.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 01:51 PM

Hi

Most definitely.

I even criticise the Butler for not setting the table in the correct manner.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

11-08-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Rhian, l am the worst for judging people on their table manners.
Even the way you hold your knife!! If you hold it like a pen and wave it about ... l immediately think.... No breeding!!

I would prefer to see forks held in the right way, in the left hand and not held like a savage would hold it!

No stretching across the table to reach dishes, you ask politely for the nearest person to pass it to you.

I get annoyed if you go to someone’s house, they have finished their meal, so they start collecting up all the plates and dishes before you or everyone else has finished.

Definitely, no television should be switched on whilst you are eating, with people transfixed on it. How an earth, do they savour their food?
Some nice soft music playing quietly is acceptable.

Yes, l know l am a Mrs Bouquet/table snob where eating is concerned but l am very laid back about other things.
I agree with all of that Art

But I have been known to eat food from my lap in front of the tv frl time to time
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

11-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Most definitely.

I even criticise the Butler for not setting the table in the correct manner.
Ha!
Does he forget the shell crackers for your lobster entree??!
Or forgets to iron the linen napkins?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
..for table manners?
My mother was so I think it rubbed off on me.

I don't like it when I dine with others, if someone starts a course before everyone else's has arrived.
I even eat my soup in the proper manner, even when I'm alone!!!

And as for burping or belching (some pass that off as a "compliment to the chef") ewwwwww disgusting!
Totally agree.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:01 PM

ooh brings back bad memories of my late father sitting at the dinner table with a short cane resting on it. Woe betide doing something wrong. the list was endless like talking when others were- bolting food down- leaving the table before others had finished- not asking for permission to get down from the table. as well as those already mentioned.

How one behaves at home is up to the individual, but when eating out then manners count
One thing though i still thing is wrong, when having soup tilting the bowl away from you for the last drop seems stupid. More risk of spilling it being further away
Do you remember when it was polite to keep the little pinky finger up while holding fork/spoon with food on it.

now must go and have a dump. Sorry excuse me I meant go and visit the little boys room. See what manners make you do

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top