Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 02:57 PM

Re: Is it cruel to train and use guide dogs

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have never seen an unhappy looking guide dog - most of them seem to be very proud of the work they do.
Indeed, working dogs are a joy to watch, wearing their customised coats indicating assistance.

Detection or sniffer dogs are also fascinating to watch when working.

The training will find out those who are unsuitable long before any stress is caused.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Tiffs what an incredibly useful dog .
You could have hired her out to the local nursery school
Muddy, she was weird. Lovable, friendly, but weird.

Where she shouldn't be & as a pup.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-02-20-1353-12.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	14522  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
It comes instinctively for Collies to herd sheep, i have watched my friends, she has sheep + 2 Collies, we tried doing it ourselves at times, useless we were,

We had to call in the Collies,
We had Border Collies, geese and ducks. I was worried that the ducks and geese were losing weight yet there was plenty of food available to them.

I came home early from work one day and happened to look out the window to see my collie herding the ducks and geese from one corner of the property to another corner where he kept them for a while before moving them on to another corner. The poultry were losing weight because they were unable to get to their food.

Anyway I went out to tell the dog off, he knew he was in the wrong and the birds thrived again from then on.

As a corollary to this story. The ducks (there were three) somehow realised that the dog wasn't able to "boss" them and when the dog was lying resting outdoors would then climb on to his legs or body and sit there with him. I am not sure that the dog actually liked this at all but seemed to tolerate it. However the birds went in all directions when he got up.

BTW I originally got the birds (three Geese, three ducks) for two reasons I love duck and geese eggs and secondly because the land had been overgrown with miniature bamboo gone mad, at night if you walked out the ground crunched under foot as it was alive with snails. The ducks were so effective at getting rid of the snails that if i saw any snails while I was out walking i would collect them as a treat for the birds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We had Border Collies, geese and ducks. I was worried that the ducks and geese were losing weight yet there was plenty of food available to them.

I came home early from work one day and happened to look out the window to see my collie herding the ducks and geese from one corner of the property to another corner where he kept them for a while before moving them on to another corner. The poultry were losing weight because they were unable to get to their food.

Anyway I went out to tell the dog off, he knew he was in the wrong and the birds thrived again from then on.

As a corollary to this story. The ducks (there were three) somehow realised that the dog wasn't able to "boss" them and when the dog was lying resting outdoors would then climb on to his legs or body and sit there with him. I am not sure that the dog actually liked this at all but seemed to tolerate it. However the birds went in all directions when he got up.

Poor ducks, Bruce. They are clumsy enough on dry land as it is, without being run about all day.

I used know a Border Collie near here, who would escape his garden and rush up and down the street herding the traffic!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 01:09 PM

Thinking about possible cruelty in the case of seeing eye dogs I guess skin diving would not be too good.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Poor ducks, Bruce. They are clumsy enough on dry land as it is, without being run about all day.

I used know a Border Collie near here, who would escape his garden and rush up and down the street herding the traffic!
My border Collie used to escape and after exploring would then wait by the front door to be let in. As I have a 1.9m fence it took me ages to find out how until I happened to catch him at it and was able to stop it by moving a piece of corrugated iron. They are too clever by half.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top