Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 03:54 PM

Driving me mad

Last May, my daughter got caught on camera driving at 76mph down an empty bit of motorway. Alas, it was on a stretch with a temp 50 in place (even though there arent any roadworks actually taking place then nor before, nor after). She admitted guilt and has this week received the outcome of 6 points and a few hundred quid fine. Since she had only passed her test within 2 years of getting caught, this means that her licence has been revoked and that she has to apply for a provisional, then take the theory and practical tests again.

All very harsh, but that's not the issue.

The real problem is that test centres are now closed due to the lockdown (until the end of March in the first instance) and we will now have to ferry her to work (and university if it opens, circa 40 miles away).

Just seems a bit unfair that she will have an extra 2+ months added on due to test centre closures. It would have made more sense for her to be told that her licence would be revoked once the centres were re-opened, and start the process from there. After all, if the system had worked more efficiently, this could all have been concluded before the lockdown. Over 7 months for them to process it seems a long time, especially as she didn't contest it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 03:56 PM

Re: Driving me mad

Or she needn't have broken the 50 limit by 26mph?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 03:59 PM

Sorry Dex, if she can't do the time, she shouldn't have done the crime.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:12 PM

Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, Dex ,even as adults.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:41 PM

Didn't they offer her a speed-awareness course? My S-i-L got done for speeding on a stretch of motorway and was fined but could go on the S-A course to prevent points being added to her licence.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:48 PM

I've no problem with the penalty, and she shouldn't have been speeding.

My problem is that they took 7 months to process it. If it could have been concluded within 5-6 months, then she'd have resat the test by now and be independent once more.

The main complaint lies in their slowness, coupled with a system failure of not taking into account the extra delays caused by test centre closures. As said, it would make far more sense to defer matters until centres have reopened.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

12-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Didn't they offer her a speed-awareness course? My S-i-L got done for speeding on a stretch of motorway and was fined but could go on the S-A course to prevent points being added to her licence.
She was too far over the speed limit.

If it had been me driving, then (as far as I can tell) I'd have been awarded 6 points with the option of not getting the points and accepting a driving ban for between 7-56 days.

In my daughter's case, she's now got 6 point PLUS at least 80 days before she retakes/passes her test.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 05:02 PM

Dexterous, I am sorry about all the trouble your daughter is having but l knew when l saw this thread, your daughter wouldn’t get much sympathy!

About 5 years ago, my youngest daughter did the same thing but she had passed her driving test.
She was going up to Leeds to visit a university friend. It was a weekend and there was a 50 mile limit on the motorway but no one was working.
She said, she just kept up with the other drivers that were on the motorway but it was obviously too fast (l think it was around 64 mph) as a letter came addressed to me as it was my car she was using. I filled in the form and stated she was the driver and posted it back.
Then months and months later she received a summons to appear in court up that way.
It was a long way away, so she pleaded guilty by letter and was given a big fine plus costs (about £300 in total) and six points on her driving licence.
With the summons came forms to fill in about how much she earned, what she spent the money on and to state all the amounts she paid out on each expenditure.

My grandson, after a few previous cancellations was booked in to take his driving test on 4th January but the second lockdown came in and his test was cancelled yet again.
Driving lessons are cancelled too.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 05:05 PM

Sorry to hear that Dex it's a real Scunner for you all. But if I remember correctly even the Royals are not exempt from traffic cops, didn't Princess Anne get in bother for speeding a while back.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

12-01-2021, 05:25 PM

Art...very similar situation as your youngest. The offence happened on 30th May. My wife owns the car, so the letter came. My daughter filled in the form online, taking responsibility, and we got an email on 10th June confirming it had been processed. It then took until around 20th Dec for them to send exactly the same letter as my wife had originally received, but addressed to my daughter. It's this 6 month delay which has exacerbated matters!! It could all have been sorted prior to the lockdown...provisional licence applied for, couple of driving lessons to gen up on techniques, theory test, practical test. All done and dusted with 3-4 weeks, and not 3-4 months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top