Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 08:29 AM

Were you cold as a child ?

One element of my childhood I remember clearly .
I was often cold .
Our house had an open fire and that was that .
You burned in front and froze behind.
I remember ( seemingly) long waits at bus stops going to school in my school uniform
My bedroom was over the hall and like an ice box .
My bed was weighed down with old coats in winter I could hardly move !
So different now light warm thermal clothes central heating and duvets .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 08:52 AM

Re: Were you cold as a child ?

Yes, you would see ice on the windows.
It was an old Town House and same here, downstairs my Nan & Grandad had an open fire, upstairs my Parents had a Electric Bar.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 09:27 AM

No, I was the complete opposite. We lived in a modern maisonette with central heating. Hot air was forced around the rooms via air vents. It was always warm and I was always warm. I thought nothing of jumping straight into the sea, even in England. I wouldn't like to try it now though.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 09:45 AM

You in the UK may scoff at this but yes there were times that I was cold as a young child. IN the middle of a Sydney winter it can get quite cold and the wind chill can take it down to zero in the wee hours sometimes. Luckily I was tucked up in a warm bed at that age. I spent my teenage years in Perth and the only time I remember feeling really cold was falling asleep on the beach and waking up pre dawn after the fire has gone out with just board shorts and a T shirt. THat was pretty cold.As an adult I have felt cccccold. Chicago in winter, NOrthern Scotland etc. NOw that is cold.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Cold yes, curled tightly up in bed, coats as blankets. Just at it all warmed up it was time to get up, scrape a hole in the frost on the inside of the window enough to look out of.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:36 AM

Muddy I was pretty much the same as you, an open fire was the one source of heat.

I spent some years living with my great aunt where the hot water for a bath came from the copper built into the kitchen wall and the loo was up the garden, no fun in the winter. I slept with Nanna in her feather bed under an eiderdown , soft heaven

When I was 4 and went home to my Dad to go to school we had the luxury of a bathroom with hot water heated by a back boiler and a gas cooker with a grill and plate rack above, Dad used to put our mittens and socks on the plate rack in the winter to heat them before we trudged a mile through the snow to school.
We always seemed to have snow every winter in the Derbyshire dales.

I shared a bed with my 2 sisters and being the youngest slept in the middle under a pile of blankets so was always warm in bed.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Believe it or not, yes. Homes built here are not made to endure cold spells. Granted it’s not as cold as up North but it does get cooler at certain times of the year!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Being cold was almost normal, we lived in a modern built house ( 1962) but for some reason it still had just one small coal fire to heat the whole thing.
In winter there was ice on the insides of the windows. Beds always felt cold and clammy. We would sleep in socks, an old vest and night clothes just to keep warm and getting up was torture.. Having to step out onto those awful lino floors..
On bath nights we would yell to mum when we were finished and she would come running upstairs with a towel that she had hung on the fireguard so that it was really toasty warm.

When mum cooked the kitchen would steam up like a sauna but it never put us off because at least it was warm!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:14 PM

The winter of 1963 - the coldest for more than 200 years

With temperatures so cold the sea froze in places, 1963 is one of the coldest winters on record. Bringing blizzards, snow drifts, blocks of ice, and temperatures lower than -20 °C, it was colder than the winter of 1947, and the coldest since 1740.

It began abruptly just before Christmas in 1962. The weeks before had been changeable and stormy, but then on 22 December a high pressure system moved to the north-east of the British Isles, dragging bitterly cold winds across the country. This situation was to last much of the winter.

A belt of rain over northern Scotland on 24 December turned to snow as it moved south, giving Glasgow its first white Christmas since 1938. The snow-belt reached southern England on Boxing Day and parked over the country, bringing a snowfall of up to 30 cm.

A blizzard followed on 29 and 30 December across Wales and south-west England, causing snowdrifts up to 6 m deep. Roads and railways were blocked, telephone lines brought down, and some villages were left cut off for several days. The snow was so deep farmers couldn't get to their livestock, and many animals starved to death.

This snow set the scene for the next two months, as much of England remained covered every day until early March 1963. While snow fell, and settled there was still plenty of sunshine. The weak winter sun did not warm things up, however, as the lack of cloud cover allowed temperatures to plunge. In Braemar in Scotland, the temperature got down to -22.2 °C on 18 January. Mean maximum temperatures in January were below 0 °C in several places in southern England and Wales, more than 5 °C below average. Mean minimum temperatures were well below freezing. Temperatures weren't much higher for most of February.

The long bitterly cold spell caused lakes and rivers to freeze, even sea water in some of England's harbours turned to ice. Ice patches formed at sea and on beaches. Winter didn't fully relax its grip until 4 March, when a mild south-westerly flow of air reached the British Isles.
It was fun at first, but then inadequate clothing never got dry, it took 2 hours to travel 8 miles to school (and back) and the coal supply ran short .....
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:24 PM

Yes in winter we were always cold, I remember the stone hot water bottles that were put in the bed to warm our feet. in the winter we always had heavy snow, and walking to school and sitting there with wet feet, after sliding in the playground and icicles hanging from the windowsills, and the open fire which only warmed up that living room

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top