Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 09:02 PM

Re: Do you have a strong accent?

Originally Posted by xirrpy ->
Bbc english, circa 1950's You Oiks
For the life of me I imagine Basil Fawlty. Must be your Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
Welsh accent and proud of it.
Nice! Great rugby team too
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

13-01-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Soft Hebridan Brogue, Highland and Island English is the variety of Scottish English spoken by many in the Scottish Highlands and the Hebrides. It is more strongly influenced by Gaelic than other forms of Scottish English.
That sounds fabulous. Do you speak Gaelic as well?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
TAT what non English language do you speak?
I speak Afrikaans but understand Finnish and Dutch. My first language is The Queen’s English
Hebrew (Modern and Shul), German, Polish, Yiddish, and "Moscow" Russian.

Enough Latin to get by and some French. The only language that I can never get into is Portuguese, especially Brasilian Portuguese.

My first language was Yiddish closely followed by English and Russian.

I've picked up a few others enough to find the "beds and bogs" but not what could be described as even semi fluently.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

13-01-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I like the Scottish accent.There's a lot around here and no matter how long they've been here it's still as strong as when they got off the plane.
I don't have much of a Welsh accent but everyone thinks I'm Irish.
But you’re a Kiwi.

Watch this the presenter is South African

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
But if you prefer Fox, I’ll switch
Truth be told, I am not one for sensationalist political entertainers - either conservative or liberal - who pretend to be journalists.

I'll keep my ears open for someone who sounds like me....
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

13-01-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Truth be told, I am not one for sensationalist political entertainers - either conservative or liberal - who pretend to be journalists.

I'll keep my ears open for someone who sounds like me....
Yes please
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 09:15 PM

Yorkshire and proud. I do tend to chuck in the odd Yorkshire dialect word which makes it difficult for people to understand, especially by those brought up on a diet of American soaps and other TV shows. Proper Yorkshire language is slowly being erased.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

13-01-2021, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Yorkshire and proud. I do tend to chuck in the odd Yorkshire dialect word which makes it difficult for people to understand, especially by those brought up on a diet of American soaps and other TV shows. Proper Yorkshire language is slowly being erased.
That’s sad. As Surfermom said, accents add spice
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 09:35 PM

Having just watched a YouTube tutorial, seems I speak Estuary English! When talking to family.

However, I tend to talk a little better when with neighbours, people I meet outside, or on the phone to relatives.

Many years ago, in my early days of working at the Indian bank, one of the IBTOs (India Based Trainee Officer) said to me when she was due to leave for home ‘Janet, whenever I couldn’t understand you, I’d smile a lot’.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top