Join for free
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Say what?

Yesterday we had a visit from OH's nursing case manager (long story) anyway she has been a nurse in district practice for 5 years and before that 15 years in a hospital on the cardiac unit..

She chatted away admired our pup Murphy and asked what we fed him to get his coat so lovely and glossy.....

OH told her about giving him fresh meat ect and how good it was for him and then she casually said 'yes its also good to let them chew an iron nail, its good for the teeth'

I didnt say a word I just sat there with my mouth open catching flies!

Ive heard some BS about canine care but this takes the biscuit. The woman is a qualified nurse and she is advocating letting your dog chew on a nail !!!

I think this beats the Danish guy who told us that the reason you shouldnt let your dog chase its tail is because thats where rabies lives and if the dog gets hold of its tail and breaks the skin it will get rabies!

What the daftest thing youve been told about caring for your dogs?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Re: Say what?

one vet told us we shouldnt throw the ball for my dog as running was bad for the hips .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
one vet told us we shouldnt throw the ball for my dog as running was bad for the hips .

?? Perhaps he meant for a dog with hip dysplasia?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
OH told her about giving him fresh meat ect and how good it was for him and then she casually said 'yes its also good to let them chew an iron nail, its good for the teeth'
what an odd suggestion..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Someone once told me feeding more than one meal a day makes dogs fat, umm no only if you over feed each meal will that happen, another said you can't keep chihuahuas with larger dogs like retrievers and Labradors , umm yes you can.

Someone else told me to pick up after my dog, I pointed out she was only having a pee and she said yes pick it up
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Perhaps he meant your hips.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

18-02-2017, 08:53 PM

If that's what the so-called experts tell you then heaven forbid
I think I would have had to said something about the 'chewing on a nail'
and 'not to throw a ball'
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 09:29 PM

It would have to be the biggest nail in the woprld or the poor dog could swallow it! What a daft idea.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meep ->
I think I would have had to said something about the 'chewing on a nail'
'

I was too gobsmacked...She a nurse ! When she had left even OH said what a dumb b**** Im not giving my dog nails...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I was too gobsmacked...She a nurse ! When she had left even OH said what a dumb b**** Im not giving my dog nails...

Cass, perhaps she is a secret dog sabateur
She sounds a nutter. Keep her away from yours!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top