Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Scones

Can anyone give me a tried and tested recipe for scones (especially cheese scones) as mine are lovely fresh out of the oven but they're never as light and fluffy as those you can buy.

I promise to butter a plateful, if they're successful, and I'll bring them to the forum for you all to have a try.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 07:46 PM

Re: Scones

Whenever my wife wants a recipe which isn't in her cookery books I just get it off the internet.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 07:49 PM

That's where I've got the two recipes that I've tried and neither are as good as M&S scones. I shall wait and hope there is a magic trick to them that I don't know about
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 07:52 PM

replace fluids for buttermilk to make them fluffy
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Hello Karen the mistake many people make when making scones is over handling the mixture and rolling out too thin.

If you are making cheese scones it is a good idea to use use a strong cheese and don't forget some dry mustard to give a bite .
Buttermilk also makes a difference to the finished product.

I use ..
8oz SR flour,
2 oz butter
2 oz grated strong cheese (D Glos/Red Leics/Cheddar are good )
salt/black pepper/half teaspoon dry mustard/
chopped chives.
Enough buttermilk /milk to make a soft dough. (approx 150ml)

Mix together the dry ingredients,
Rub in the butter,
Stir in the cheese.
Stir in the milk with knife a little at a time to get a soft dough.
Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly as little as possible .
Roll out to a round ¾in thick.
Cut out rounds and place on the baking sheet.
Brush the tops of the scones with a little egg and milk and sprinke with a little grated cheese .
Bake for 12-15 minutes @ 220c until well risen and golden.
Cool and eat ASAP
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
replace fluids for buttermilk to make them fluffy
I'm with Baggy on this, always use buttermilk if available, or just curdle a little milk with lemon juice and use that instead...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-02-2013, 09:11 PM

Many thanks all - I think I know where I've been going wrong: I've actually been kneading them to get air into them! I already use buttermilk but it looks like I've been way too heavy handed with them. I shall try your recipe Meg as it differs slightly to mine and I shall wear kid gloves this time
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Many thanks all - I think I know where I've been going wrong: I've actually been kneading them to get air into them! I already use buttermilk but it looks like I've been way too heavy handed with them. I shall try your recipe Meg as it differs slightly to mine and I shall wear kid gloves this time
No kneading Karen it is not bread, you are using a rising agent and a soft flour. All you need to do is gather the mixture together lightly and form it into a ball then roll it out
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Just a little tip ...........when cutting them out with a round cutter just use a straight up and down motion ,if you twist the cutter it seals the edges and stops them rising up as much .A simple tip but it works .
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 02:55 AM

My youngest son is a chef and he gave me this recipe years ago, using lemonade.

300g (2 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) thick cream
125ml (1/2 cup) lemonade
40ml (2 tbs) milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add cream and lemonade and mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured workbench and knead lightly until combined. Press the dough with your hands to a thickness of about 2cm. Use a 6cm round cutter to cut out 8 scones, place on baking tray and brush the tops with milk. Bake for 10-15m

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top