Join for free
Page 4 of 35 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It's lovely that you can put your arm around him and both look very comfortable about it. I understand about the different surnames but when I married for the second time, I kept my own name for two reasons: 1 - it's my name and taking someone else's (as I did the first time) felt like a bit of me was taken away and 2 - I wouldn't have my children having a different name to me (granted they had their dad's name but I changed all three names by Deed Poll to my birth name) so there are ways around that particular hurdle.

I'm so glad you and your stepfather got on so well
Karen my dad and mum wouldn't let me change to theirs, it was not a nice name, and as a child I would have suffered for it.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 01:01 AM

Marriage is making a comeback in the UK. This is from the Daily Mail earlier this year.

"Marriage is coming back into fashion. After 40 years of decline, the number of weddings has risen by 3.7 per cent in a year. Analysts believe the recession has caused a return to family values and a desire for the stability marriage offers."

It is declining in Australia: "Although the number of marriages is now the highest recorded, the population has also increased substantially over time. As a result, the marriage rate is now lower than it was 20 years ago."
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 05:21 AM

Marriage is, and should be, an option for those who want it but I don't believe it should carry any particular weight over a civil ceremony.
This is unnecessarily muddying the waters. I don't think the issue here is whether the marriage takes place in a registry office, on your back lawn with a civil celebrant or a church. The issue is whether single sex marriages should happen at all.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I don't think marriage is on its way out - from an article I read recently, it is more popular than ever. So much so that many people are getting married 3 or 4 times in their lifetimes
And yet 50% of marriages end in divorce
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Karen my dad and mum wouldn't let me change to theirs, it was not a nice name, and as a child I would have suffered for it.
Did you consider changing it at some point then Wrinkly?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This is unnecessarily muddying the waters. I don't think the issue here is whether the marriage takes place in a registry office, on your back lawn with a civil celebrant or a church. The issue is whether single sex marriages should happen at all.
It isn't muddying the waters at all and I've already stated that I don't see a problem with single-sex marriages. My comment was to highlight that marriage, as it now stands, is divisive. If two people wish to make a public announcement about their relationship, that should apply to men marrying men or women marrying women. Marriage is a choice; genetic makeup isn't.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 10:02 AM

And yet 50% of marriages end in divorce
Many reasons for that, not enough thought put into who people marry (the wedding is the goal not the marriage), people live longer, fidelity seems no longer to be what people want, people don't want to work for their marriages, divorce is rather more easy than it used to be and not carrying a stigma anymore.

I am sure there are more than that too.

But none of those things mean marriage is less popular or less needed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Surely your last comment is contradictory? If marriage was popular then why do half of them end in divorce? One reason could be that marriage is held up as something that will cure all family ills - but it doesn't, it can, in fact, make them worse.

I don't understand what people living longer has to do with it but I can assure you, fidelity has always been a problem and probably always will; people outgrow one another or discover that living with someone isn't the same as dating someone (as I've learned).

I've never understood the comment that 'marriage has to be worked for' - that in itself implies it is not a natural state of relationship. If you had a friend that you always had to work hard at keeping, you'd soon end up walking away from that friend, probably muttering (as we hear many people say) 'too much like hard work' and I've also walked away from friends saying exactly that.

Divorce isn't as easy as it used to be - at one time, you just uttered 'I divorce thee' three times and that was it! There was no stigma attached.

Most of the beliefs you have posted are quite recently adopted (historically speaking) and have been, for some time, viewed as the natural order but in fact, they're not.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Working at marriage is important but shouldn't mean hard work, we sit down periodically and talk about what we want, where we are going, anything we are unhappy about etc, no big rows, just a time to discuss if we are still happy. Worked well for us all these years and not something people divorcing have put in place we have seen.

Living longer, years ago when lives were shorter people were married for far less time as a partner could die in childbirth or go to war and never return they got another chance with another marriage.

Fidelity has always been a problem perhaps but at what point has sex been so easy for most people to just pop out and get ? With no one so much as batting and eye, young people have multiple partners before settling down, if they bother to settle that is. I am told I am old fashioned having one man in my life for so many years only slept with one man too, when most seem to think 4 or 5 a year is more normal.

And marriage is popular, very popular sadly the marriages just don't last though.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Working at marriage is important but shouldn't mean hard work, we sit down periodically and talk about what we want, where we are going, anything we are unhappy about etc, no big rows, just a time to discuss if we are still happy. Worked well for us all these years and not something people divorcing have put in place we have seen.
I do think a lot of married people forget how to talk to one another (watched too many agony aunt shows ). I remember telling both of my husbands how unhappy I felt but nothing changed - for more than a couple of weeks then they went straight back to behaving in a way I didn't like very much. It wasn't that talking didn't happen but both sides have to want to put things right. Maybe in many marriages, the benefits are too one-sided.

Living longer, years ago when lives were shorter people were married for far less time as a partner could die in childbirth or go to war and never return they got another chance with another marriage.
Ah, I see what you mean; yes, I understand that now.

Fidelity has always been a problem perhaps but at what point has sex been so easy for most people to just pop out and get ? With no one so much as batting and eye, young people have multiple partners before settling down, if they bother to settle that is. I am told I am old fashioned having one man in my life for so many years only slept with one man too, when most seem to think 4 or 5 a year is more normal.
From what I have read Julie, it is less common now than it used to be (a few centuries ago) and as long as someone wasn't publicly 'cuckolded', a blind eye was turned. You would even have priests denouncing sex as evil but then they themselves would not only sneak off to brothels or the local courtesan but would invest money in local brothels!

And marriage is popular, very popular sadly the marriages just don't last though.
I think it is the wedding that is popular and people don't stop and wonder 'can I really live the rest of my life with this person?'. Marriage worked better when women had little choice but to marry if they wanted to survive (from the point that patriarchy took over that is) - maybe that's why many men tried to prevent women from having any rights, they knew their priviledged life would change drastically and it has.

Page 4 of 35 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top