Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Crushing Turkey's heritage

Was not sure what the unrest was really about in Turkey but after reading a letter in the Daily Mail today am quite shocked at what I read.

People in Turkey are fed up with Prime Minister Erdogon's authoritarian policies. The issues run far deeper than protests against demolishing a park. The past ten years have been a nightmare, one can feel increasing despotism in all aspects of daily life.
The Turkish media is under incredible censorship. The TV channel owners are big conglomerates with various business interests. To preserve their good relations with the government they're keeping a low profile.
Under pressure from the government, many TV presenters, producers and journalists have lost their jobs. Ordinary people are finding it difficult to get any news reports they can trust.
There are record numbers of journalists in prison. For five years, high numbers of intellectuals, doctors, scientists, authors, and generals - even elected members of parliament - are being kept in jail for long periods, awaiting trial.
Last year, 85 state schools in Istanbul were converted into religious schools without the parents being given advanced notice. This came as a shock to us, but few newspapers or TV stations covered the story.
Some people say all state middle and high schools will become religious schools in the near future.
The arts are in a very dark place. Erdogan wants to abolish all state or municipally funded theatres. His party dislikes statues and is collecting them on various excuses and placing them in warehouses instead of displaying them in public squares.
His policies impact on all aspects of life, including fashion. He even wanted to decide how Turksih Airlines' hostesses should dress.
Many believe he and his followers don't want women in the business environment. He used to say Turkish women should have three children and has recently updated this to five - leaving no career path for women.
He and his party don't want our nation to celebrate our National Public days, such as Republic Day (October 29 in Turkey) commemorating the roots of the secular Republic's foundation. Erdogan and President Gul (his lifelong friend) always find excuses not to participate.
Taksim Square represents the foundation of the Republic of Turkey. They want to ruin Taksim Square, which means, symbolically, to ruin the roots of our Republic.
Erdogan even wants to dictate what we can drink. Municipalities won't renew restaurants' alcohol licences.
He and his party are acting alone in trying to bring in a new constitution. "Two drunken people established the Republic's constitution" he says.
You can imagine what people in Turkey think about someone talking about our Republic's founding fathers in that way.
Erdogan and his party are putting everything in Turkey into a religious orbit - and the use of force by the police is too excessave.

NAME SUPPLIED, Istanbul

UNQUOTE

Seems there is much much more to this unrest than the building of military barracks and a mosque in Taksim square then, What do you think about the above.
Please discuss...
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

12-06-2013, 02:10 AM

Re: Crushing Turkey's heritage

I support the protesters may they continue and bring the PM to his knees - he's a despot!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 10:07 AM

They certainly have my support too if their PM is acting this way. Looks as though Sharia Law could be beckoning the way he is treating the citizens of Istanbul. Good on them for not putting up with such bullying.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Yes Mary darlin' - the protestors have my full support too, and as others have suggested, might succeed in bringing down the Turkish Government. If so, perhaps we might take a leaf out of their book and follow suit here.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

I'm in support too. Trying to drag them back into the dark ages should not be an option they should have to consider.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 07:15 PM

I was listening to the Today programme this morning with Jeremy Bowen reporting from Turkey. Apparently there are more journalists locked up in Turkey than in any other county including China . I thought Turkey was supposed to be a free speaking democracy.

It sounds to me that many of the protesters are from the intelligentsia who are secular and concerned that Erdoğan is taking them down the route of Islam and the dark ages .

Good luck to the protesters

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top