Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Pesticide Use Regarding Fresh Food

Do you stay away from certain countries when it comes to particular fresh fruits & veggies, even if they were cheaper?
Countries like Mexico, Peru, Chile, etc. Are you worried there's unregulated pesticide use?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Re: Pesticide Use Regarding Fresh Food

I know we get foods from all over the world, darlin' - but as they're mainly prepacked, we have no idea. Not that it matters anyway - apart from salad - which I regard as 'rabbit food' I eat most things!!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 01:04 PM

I am more cautious by supermarket tbh - the 'cheaper' ones will often try to make the most money, even if that means using questionable pesticides.

Supermarkets like Waitrose and M&S here in the UK go above and beyond what is legally allowed - and promise not to use certain pesticides where there is the most controversy (even if they are legal).

Have a look at these policies from Waitrose:

http://www.waitrose.com/content/wait..._way.html.html

http://www.waitrose.com/content/wait...nsibility.html

With regards to countries, yes, it is wise to be careful - some do not have any laws regarding GM foods...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Do you stay away from certain countries when it comes to particular fresh fruits & veggies,
Yes and I eat organic produce whenever possible.

I have always been an advocate of eating in season local produce which now seems to be the mantra among chefs.

Nature gave us a helping hand by giving us things which come into season at the same time of year eg spring lamb with the first of the new potatoes, spring cabbage and mint, pork in the autumn when the cooking apples and root vegetables are in season.

I don't want to eat tasteless imported strawberries in the winter, half of the enjoyment of food for me is looking forward to 'the first of the year'.

I guess I am very lucky living in such a prime growing area surrounded by produce with the vale of Evesham on one side and Herefordshire on the other .There is lots of organic food around here.
I also have Waitrose as my nearest big store with its good stock of organic food and there are farmers markets and the Women's Insitute weekly market with home grown vegetables.

Many people complain that Organic food is too expensive.
I never buy ready meals, takeaways or expensive processed foods (except the occasional tinned salmon which I prefer to farmed fresh salmon) and I make most things including my own bread so feel I can eat well for little . For me there are few things better than some homemade soup made from organic vegetables and homemade bread and that is not expensive food.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 02:32 PM

I can't say I worry overly, my grandfather worked on a farm for years and sprayed so many chemicals that are now banned I think if I was going to be harmed it would have been sat on the back of his tractor when I was a child or playing in the fields when the spraying had been completed. Anything I ingest now will do me less harm than that did.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 02:39 PM

I just try & stick with veggies & fruits grown in North America but I can't help it & will sometimes buy grapes if they're on sale & from Chile or Mexico.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I just try & stick with veggies & fruits grown in North America but I can't help it & will sometimes buy grapes if they're on sale & from Chile or Mexico.

Since you've clearly had no bad reaction up till now darlin' - I wouldn't worry at all.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

25-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since you've clearly had no bad reaction up till now darlin' - I wouldn't worry at all.
I understand but I wasn't worried as opposed to concerned.
I know chemicals build up in your body over decades, and can manifest into diseases, syndromes, not always showing signs immediately. Thanks

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top