Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Best Before Dates

How do they figure it out? Do they experiment on people?

"Here, drink this, it's been sitting around for 6 months, if you get violently ill, we'll know to date the product months earlier".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 03:58 AM

Re: Best Before Dates

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
How do they figure it out? Do they experiment on people?

"Here, drink this, it's been sitting around for 6 months, if you get violently ill, we'll know to date the product months earlier".
No, it is not a 'Use by Date' it is a date after which the manufacturer thinks the product might not be at its best, ie the flavour, colour, consistency or whatever will start to deteriorate.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 12:21 PM

I'm still wondering how they 'know' when to make the date what it is Of course now after so many decades of experience it comes naturally, but what about in the beginning?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 12:58 PM

I'm still wondering how they 'know' when to make the date what it is Of course now after so many decades of experience it comes naturally, but what about in the beginning?
There weren't any packaging then.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

20-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Ok then, when there was packaging.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 01:12 PM

In the old days I would guess, foodstuffs were not around long enough to worry about Use by Dates, and maybe, if you thought something was a bit Iffy, you would give some to your neighbour first, and make note of the result.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 01:13 PM

Just encourages more waste. They have to put a date when the stuff is still fine. I ignore most of them, though, except when shopping I try to get the one which has the latest date as it is likely to be fresher! And I fill my freezer with things that are discounted because they are approaching their date.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Ok then, when there was packaging.
They have vast testing laboratories AC, where they keep products for various lengths of time in various temperatures etc. Near us they have a place where they test for all the YUM group, if you are there for any reason on a test end day they give all the food that is still good away free ! I used to clean there and came home with masses of KFC and pizza hut and taco bell stuff.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 01:26 PM

I take no notice of 'best before' or even 'use by' dates - I trust my nose to tell me whether things are alright or not to eat. I've had packaged cold me in my fridge for weeks after the 'use by' date, there was nothing wrong with it and I'm still here (without any food poisoning) to say so.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 09:54 PM

Tinned food never used to have use by dates on. Nowadays it does but I'm sure it could be used years after the date and still be OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top