Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 07:21 PM

Re: Excess pay?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Wrong, as usual.

20% Tax for all and 40% tax for everyone earning above the limit.

No upper limit for NI and all income taxed, no different taxes for dividends, no exclusions from Inheritance Tax.
None of this would work. Also no lower limit would be extremely regressive for those earning less than 10k.

A cap on income wouldn't work either. They would just find loopholes and pay using other creative methods. Dividends etc. If that's not possible they would move from the UK. A great way to initiate a brain drain.

The main thing for HMRC to do is to pursue the big players who create a multitude of companies in order to plan their tax affairs in the most self-serving way. Close loopholes.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:32 PM

The lottery needs curtailing also, to stop the big earning wannabes trying to bypass the actual "doing a bit for the money" classes.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
None of this would work. Also no lower limit would be extremely regressive for those earning less than 10k.

A cap on income wouldn't work either. They would just find loopholes and pay using other creative methods. Dividends etc. If that's not possible they would move from the UK. A great way to initiate a brain drain.

The main thing for HMRC to do is to pursue the big players who create a multitude of companies in order to plan their tax affairs in the most self-serving way. Close loopholes.
It's the "big players" who create jobs for the plebs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:13 PM

"Bit Players" also have influence.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's the "big players" who create jobs for the plebs.
not in these days of automation and digital economics Ayn

They should be freeing up the economy for more SME's and start ups.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-10-2020, 10:18 PM

As long as the principals persist till the end, that's all that matters.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:22 PM

not in these days of automation and digital economics Ayn

They should be freeing up the economy for more SME's and start ups.
So who invests the start up capital?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-10-2020, 10:45 PM

So who invests the start up capital?
How did people build up businesses in the past? How did Virgin records start? Ikea started as a mail order business. You don't need to be a billionaire if the environment for enterprise is there.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

10-10-2020, 11:18 AM

How did people build up businesses in the past? How did Virgin records start? Ikea started as a mail order business. You don't need to be a billionaire if the environment for enterprise is there.
Virgin start up was because Brandon's dad had much more than a few quid and so was able to bankroll his son who saw an opening to exploit. IKEA likewise was a well established business that diversified.

30 years ago, 10 years before I retired I saw a couple of opportunities that were there for the taking but because of limitations resulting from the terms of my contract of employment my wife exploited but with my financial backing. Once again it required availability of capital right from the get-go.

Sources of capital do exist but still require a source of capital to access. Even buying swag lines and flogging from the back of a wagon requires capital and even then there's recurring costs and losses that eat cash.

Cold start Micky Mouse enterprises can come good sometimes but that is FAR from the general case, especially in the UK.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-10-2020, 01:09 PM

Virgin start up was because Brandon's dad had much more than a few quid and so was able to bankroll his son who saw an opening to exploit. IKEA likewise was a well established business that diversified.

30 years ago, 10 years before I retired I saw a couple of opportunities that were there for the taking but because of limitations resulting from the terms of my contract of employment my wife exploited but with my financial backing. Once again it required availability of capital right from the get-go.

Sources of capital do exist but still require a source of capital to access. Even buying swag lines and flogging from the back of a wagon requires capital and even then there's recurring costs and losses that eat cash.

Cold start Micky Mouse enterprises can come good sometimes but that is FAR from the general case, especially in the UK.
Like I said they need to create favourable conditions for enterprise here. They minute you employ someone you are swamped in red tape. It's a wonder anyone ever bothers.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top