Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Re: Jury Service?

No never, they don't call correctional officers, we see it the way it is.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 11:44 AM

I did not realise that you could be excused Jury Service. However, it logically makes sense that not everyone would be able to do so.

Rainbow x
telmar
yorkshire uk
telmar is female  telmar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Yes Rainbow, you can be excused - once I'd been having treatment at the hospital and was called for Jury service - explained the situation to them and was excused. The other time was when I was my mother's carer (she had alzheimer's) and was excused again. Maggiexx
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks Telmar, Jury Service is obviously not a general invitatation, but as you say there are certain circumstances that they will take into account to excuse your participation.

Rainbow x
Rainbow
Surrey UK

17-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Yes, I have twice. Once at the Old Bailey (fraud trial), and once at Kingston in Surrey. My wife never has been called. I say its because she's an unsavoury character!

John, this is probably why they have never asked me!!! LOL

Rainbow x
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Here you can be excused during voir dire if one of the attorneys doesn't like your response to his question. I was excused from an upcoming criminal trial that would have involved police witnesses; the attorney asked about family/friends in the police, and as a very close friend was an officer, he apparently thought I'd be biased ... (probably would have been). so he sent me packing! To my pleasure .... this was after I had retired. I never minded jury duty when I was working .... got to stay away from the rat race and still get paid!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 10:57 PM

Been called once many years ago, but was excused as I was about to go into hospital.......
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Is there an upper age limit in the UK beyond which you won't be called? There isn't here in Washington ... you can be called in your 90s!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Is there an upper age limit in the UK beyond which you won't be called? There isn't here in Washington ... you can be called in your 90s!
The age limit here is 70, Eileen.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Just googled this Dandysmom, no upper age limit, but apparently if you are 71+ you can be excused if you do not want to serve.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top