Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 06:13 AM

Re: trouble sleeping?

Originally Posted by Tasharose ->
I fall asleep Ok. What helps me to get more hours of sleep is Swimming each Morning for an hour and if I awake I read a little which puts me back to sleep.
SNAP, I am in the pool by 7am nearly every day..
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by TracyG ->
The sleep I used to get from a sleeping tablet was deep but felt drugged and left me feeling very fuzzy and not at all refreshed. The only purpose it served was to stop me staring endlessly at the ceiling at night but ultimately didn't cure my problem, if anything it made it worse. Now I just put up with those nights, frustrating as they are, as I know eventually I will get so tired I WILL sleep. Nights can be lonely and I do get overwhelmed at times but I'm learning that it's okay.
Tracey, Like me you live up on the coast beside one of the beaches. In the nice weather I have got the dog and taken a walk along the shore, especially if it's a moonlit night. The sea has a very relaxing affect on me and can help me sleep. May work for you too.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I suppose that depends on what time you get up! I am up by 5.30 every morning, so I am in bed by 10.30 most nights.
I seldom turn in for the night before midnight, more often around 01.00am. Then I awaken any time between 03.00am and 05.30am. All I can do then is to either watch television or get online for an hour or so until feeling sleepy. Then returning to my slumbers I can sleep for possibly a couple of hours, maybe at best three or four hours. Often though that's all the sleep I have some nights.

All that is unfortunately due to working permanent night shifts for over two decades – my 'body clock', or circadian rhythm, is completely 'shot to pieces'!

I have found that walking each day for just half-an-hour gives me a far better and restful sleep.

Sometimes that all catches up with me and I will just sleep solidly for hours until waking, that can be for anything up to 10 or 12 hours.
Mikeymo
New Member!
Northumberland UK
Mikeymo is male 

28-07-2019, 10:44 PM

try drinking chocolate half an hour before bedtime? Chocolate gives a sugar rush and usually knocks people out for the count!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeymo ->
try drinking chocolate half an hour before bedtime? Chocolate gives a sugar rush and usually knocks people out for the count!

I thought it was the opposite?
I thought sugar pepped people up, not made them sleepy?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I seldom turn in for the night before midnight, more often around 01.00am. Then I awaken any time between 03.00am and 05.30am. All I can do then is to either watch television or get online for an hour or so until feeling sleepy. Then returning to my slumbers I can sleep for possibly a couple of hours, maybe at best three or four hours. Often though that's all the sleep I have some nights.

All that is unfortunately due to working permanent night shifts for over two decades – my 'body clock', or circadian rhythm, is completely 'shot to pieces'!

I have found that walking each day for just half-an-hour gives me a far better and restful sleep.

Sometimes that all catches up with me and I will just sleep solidly for hours until waking, that can be for anything up to 10 or 12 hours.
Baz l'm similar to you, I've never worked nights though it's just how I am my sister is the same.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Baz l'm similar to you, I've never worked nights though it's just how I am my sister is the same.
No fun though is it, or at least I find it's definitely not at times. I've always been a 'sleepy' person though so permanent nights wasn't a problem, or I thought it was not. I could always sleep at any time but now retired and no longer on night shifts, it's noticeable how bad my sleep pattern really is.

Health problems with blood pressure can be affected too, I have high blood pressure. Apparently the light during the day to a part of the brain regulates blood pressure. Sunlight plays a very important part in regulating our bodies in many ways, most of which I never knew about, if I had then I might have thought twice about working night shifts for a couple of decades.

I often wonder if our sleep patterns are also determined by what time we are born, although I've never found anything to prove or disprove that. It's probably more in the genes than anything else, interesting Summer that your sister is the same as you in respect of her sleeping hours.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 04:59 PM

I have trouble sleeping these days. I go to bed about 8.30ish and read for a while. I do the breathing exercises and drop off for an hour or three. Then I wake up and have a job to get off again, sometimes I will go to sleep again, other times I just lie there until 6.30am when I arise. Going to bed any later doesn't make any difference. I never have a nap during the day.
Baz46

29-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have trouble sleeping these days. I go to bed about 8.30ish and read for a while. I do the breathing exercises and drop off for an hour or three. Then I wake up and have a job to get off again, sometimes I will go to sleep again, other times I just lie there until 6.30am when I arise. Going to bed any later doesn't make any difference. I never have a nap during the day.
Have you tried just having a half-hour walk during the day, probably mid to late afternoon? That amount of exercise is both good for me and allows a reasonable night's sleep. The problem comes when it's either far too hot to do that, as recently, or too cold as it was last winter. Then I know it's the walk that gives me a better sleep as when unable to do that I don't sleep properly.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Have you tried just having a half-hour walk during the day, probably mid to late afternoon? That amount of exercise is both good for me and allows a reasonable night's sleep. The problem comes when it's either far too hot to do that, as recently, or too cold as it was last winter. Then I know it's the walk that gives me a better sleep as when unable to do that I don't sleep properly.
I have my daily walk first thing in the morning. I have other things to occupy me during the rest of the day. Besides which, I couldn't manage 30 minutes these days due to foot problems.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top